Fisher Series 202 Console

jonboy55

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Yesterday, I picked up a Fisher Series 202 Console - even though I'm trying to get rid of some of my consoles. It was a deal I couldn't refuse.

Manufactured about 1955. Comes with the model 202 chassis, Garrard RC111 record changer, and three 8" speakers.

Does anyone know if it originally came with the Garrard RC111 record changer?

The chassis has 11 tubes. There are 2 Amperex EL84 outputs and the rectifier is a 5U4.

I have not powered it up.

Here are some photographs.

Attachments

• front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 68
  • top view.jpg
    top view.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 90
  • rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 63
  • speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 73
  • chassis front.jpg
    chassis front.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 103
  • chassis rear.jpg
    chassis rear.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 90
The one nearby that I went to look at (that lingered on Craigslist for over a year) had the 121, I believe. Otherwise it was identical. It's great that it has the "Custom Built" script on the tuner dial just like the pre-war Philharmonics. I wonder if it was the last Fisher to make that claim.

Nice 202 Jon. I'd be a bit worried about the Fat bottle 5U4GB and the P.T. so close (looks like NO Clearance??) together.

Hey John ,
Did you find out any more info on your little 202 console ? I just picked one up today . It's still in the van so I don't have any pics yet . Looks to be identical cabinet . My record changer is different though and I don't have the switches on the back like yours . My speakers look like yours . Any idea who makes them ? I'll have some pics in the next few days . It's not nearly as pretty as yours , hard life , scratches and dents , dings , etc ... I got it to maybe use as a companion speaker with another old console that I have , it's an old sylvania .

Could'nt wait .... Here are some pics . Maybe someone can help me identify this turntable and cartridge ...

Attachments

• S5300011.jpg
    S5300011.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 58
  • S5300004.JPG
    S5300004.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 46
  • S5300003.jpg
    S5300003.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 34
  • S5300013.jpg
    S5300013.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 37
  • S5300001.jpg
    S5300001.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 43
Hey John ,
Did you find out any more info on your little 202 console ? I just picked one up today . It's still in the van so I don't have any pics yet . Looks to be identical cabinet . My record changer is different though and I don't have the switches on the back like yours . My speakers look like yours . Any idea who makes them ? I'll have some pics in the next few days . It's not nearly as pretty as yours , hard life , scratches and dents , dings , etc ... I got it to maybe use as a companion speaker with another old console that I have , it's an old sylvania .

No more information was found except for the service manual that was mentioned by Tom Bavis.

I haven't had a chance to work on it yet.

With 3 speakers it looks like it will be a nice sounding unit.

Good luck with your unit!

The cartridge is a MONO General Electric VR (Variable Reluctance) Cart. VERY GOOD CART!!!!!

TT Looks somewhat like a later version of a 50's WEBCOR.

Larry

Thanks for those replies so quickly AK members . Tom yes I did find the manual and looked it over a little thanks . It's daylight now and I'm having coffe and trying to come up with a plan ... I have a Fisher Contemporary II model along with it's companion speaker . The 560 companion speaker uses 3 eight inch jensens and sounds fantastic . I was thinking that this little unit might make a nice companion to an old Sylvania console that sports almost the same speaker configuration as the Contemporary model fisher that I have . The Sylvania has a stereo record changer and I believe it may have also had a companion speaker option when first offered . Larry you say the TT may be aftermarket and not original ? I am assuming it is mono as I have not removed it from the cabinet yet . On the cabinet , these old fishers are built solidly . This little thing weighs more than I thought . I had to have some help loading it from the fella I bought it from . I'll kep up the posts as I make progress ....thanks .
Mike .

Did a little wood stripping today between normal chores . Probably try a little sanding tomorrow . This console was owned by a smoker at one time for sure . Any suggestions for wood refinishing/stripping etc ... I used a citrus smelling wood stripper for what I have finished so far . Two coats of stripper and scraping and clean up with mineral spirits . Fairly easy and not too messy . The veneer is beautiful under all that gunk . Here are a few before and after pics .

Attachments

• B (8).JPG
    B (8).JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 28
  • B (6).JPG
    B (6).JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 22
  • B (5).JPG
    B (5).JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 21
  • B (4).JPG
    B (4).JPG
    145 KB · Views: 22
Did a little wood stripping today between normal chores . Probably try a little sanding tomorrow . This console was owned by a smoker at one time for sure . Any suggestions for wood refinishing/stripping etc ... I used a citrus smelling wood stripper for what I have finished so far . Two coats of stripper and scraping and clean up with mineral spirits . Fairly easy and not too messy . The veneer is beautiful under all that gunk . Here are a few before and after pics .

What wood stripper did you use?

I went out to the shop to get the name . It is called Citristrip . Got it at the Depot . I like it so far . Not a real strong oder like some of that stuff has . Paint it on with a little chip brush and let it sit for 20 + minutes and scrape with a plastic putty knife . I applied 2 coats and was finished . The second coat did'nt have to sit too long and was ready to scrape in about 5 minutes . Wiped down the wood with mineral spirits and looks good . Removed all the old varnish or finish , whatever it is . I have a few old sanding sponges or whatever they are called and used them with the mineral spirits going with the grain and that really cleaned it up . I used this method after wiping it down with a cloth soaked in mineral spirits and then wiped it dry with a clean cloth .

Larry you say the TT may be aftermarket and not original ? I am assuming it is mono as I have not removed it from the cabinet yet . ....thanks .
Mike .

Mike: FISHER used Webcor's as OE in a lot of Early/mid 50's consoles I've seen up to the advent of the RC-121 Garrard's in '57-'58 or so. Look on the bottom of the TT for a sticker with Manufacturer info. It's definately a mono TT.

Larry

Thanks Larry ,
Got some more pics . Was able to clean up the lid pretty good . What you see has been sanded once with 80 grit , cleaned with mineral spirits , dried , and then sanded with real fine grit , 200 ??? , and then wiped again with mineral spirits . I had to use a little wire toothbrush on some of the deep stains as well . Of course this is all after I stripped the old varnish off . I really had my doubts as to whether the lid would clean up . I've got most of the cab dismantled except for two of the speakers . I have a pic of the TT as well . I guess it's Webcor from what I read on the tag .

Pics ....

Attachments

• C (1).jpg
    C (1).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 15
  • C (2).jpg
    C (2).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 19
  • C (3).jpg
    C (3).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 16
  • C (4).jpg
    C (4).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 16
  • C (5).jpg
    C (5).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 19
Take some 330 or 400 grit and do a final sand once you get all the marks out. That'll smooth it out further. When i did my 65 Futura I stopped @ 220 grit. I should have gone smoother as it feels just a bit rough. There's always next spring....

Model 140 Webcor. According to SAMS Set #321 Folder 13

Back
Top Bottom