Fisher 500B bulbs

2string1

I put 2 led bulbs in my 500B about a year ago. I didn't think they where very bright back then and think they are less bright now. The first pair he sent me where the incorrect size so I'm thinking the second set was incorrect to. Even in a dark room it's hard to read the station numbers. So I'm thinking they are the wrong ones. Where can I get the absolute brightest and correct ones for it?

The lights are designed to shine thru the glass from the ends and when it hits the numbers/letters they glow. It's NOT a backlit type of lighting, and will be dim provided the rubber gaskets on the ends aren't leaking thru. Ideally you should only see the numbers/letters light up. No peripheral glow on the ends of the dial area.

Original Festoon lamps for this are hard to find, try Ebay. Also make sure as Larry says the dial gaskets are sealing, keeps the lamps "focused" on the dial.

Everything checks out OK...DeWick did a restore on it. I just can't believe the dial is so dim. If I stand back 4' it looks like it's off. The only way of knowing it's on is seeing the stereo beam. I guess this is normal,but I want to see the beauty of it lite up. Is it possible I have the wrong bulbs in it? Here's a pic of what I have.
2hxvvie.jpg

Last edited:
First, those are not original bulbs, and I can't see how they can possibly put out as much light as an original, or even a decent LED reproduction.

Second, if that foam strip is getting squished down between the bulb and the edge of the glass, then it's blocking some of the light from getting into the glass. The light has to be able to hit the cut edge of the dial glass.

And I'd start looking on eBay for different bulbs.

2string1,
Try pulling that vertical strip off and look and see if there's another one under the dial glass. There may be a light baffle. Plug the unit in at night with the front panel off and see if the LEDs are bright and being blocked. While it's possible that they're the wrong voltage, it's just as possible that the light is obstructed.
My thing with the LED lights has always been to try and diminish the light since I feel they provide too much.

I took the vertical weather strip off and there is just some black residue left over from the original strip. The light is not being obstructed on the end of the glass.I need to find different bulbs.

Did you turn it on to check the brightness of the LEDs? You could also check the voltage across the top and bottom terminals.
Also, I usually pretty much turn the LEDs so I can see only white except at the far left of the right one and the far right of the left one. Kinda tilt them in.

Try these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNACO-FISH...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item41688658fa

I believe this was the vendor I used for my 800c. I get a decent amount of light from my pair of festoon bulbs. Also, there's a better gasket material to use - a grey-colored of open-cell weatherstripping that looks like a letter 'B' in cross-section - that's available at Home Depot. Sloober might be able to tell you what it's called.

-D

Last edited:
I checked out the brightness,but I can't tell how bright there suppose to be and yes I have already thought about turning them in like you said.

Try these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNACO-FISH...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item41688658fa

I believe this was the vendor I used for my 800c. I get a decent amount of light from my pair of festoon bulbs. Also, there's a better gasket material to use - a grey-colored of open-cell weatherstripping that looks like a letter 'B' in cross-section - that's available at Home Depot. Sloober might be able to tell you what it's called.

-D
I think I'm going to order from this guy. What length and volt do I need? Is there anything else I need to know when ordering?

I think I'm going to order from this guy. What length and volt do I need? Is there anything else I need to know when ordering?

Just let him know you need bulbs for a Fisher 500b and he'll provide the right ones to you.

-D

Well I just received the bulbs that I ordered from ebay and there dimmer then the ones I had lol Oh well I'll live with what I have.

Last edited:
Well I just received the bulbs that I ordered from ebay and there dimmer then the ones I had lol Oh well I'll live with what I have.

Really? That's rather odd. Are you sure you're getting enough voltage at the bulb clamps?

-D

I have the same set as the first picture in my 400 and they are way brighter than the originals that I still have. Have you tried rotating the bulbs to get the most light on the edge of the dial glass? You may need to take the dial glass out and clean the edges with some glass cleaner and/or alcohol if there is something blocking the light. Just be very careful of the lettering on the glass.

Back
Top Bottom