Cleaning Sansui G8000 volume pot.

Helmutdiggy

Can this be done by just taking off the cover?
I see a small space that I can get a nozzle in but I'm not sure if blasting cleaner in there would be a smart idea.

Use Deoxit first, followed by Caig Gold. If it does not get in, you have not really lost anything. Use the D100 because you run a chance that the D5, which has solvents in it, might damage the wipers or pads on the inside. I also use Faderlube to help keep the mechanism lubricated. Sometimes the Deoxit can wash away any built in lubricant. Going in from the front may or may not work. You may have to get your hands dirty and get inside. I've Never seen the G-8000 pot so I can't warn you what's inside.

Thanks for all the advice.
I took the nut off the front of the pot and pushed it back a bit so I could get as close as I could with the spray nozzle .
I forgot to mention that I am using radio shack cleaner/lubricant.

It won't harm anything?

If it is LPS-1 or actual contact cleaner, you will be fine.

If you want to locate a new volume control to replace the old control- Deoxit will do it in nicely. It attacks the substrate that holds the carbon. Once damaged there is not a good fix other than replacement. It is a product that has it's uses- but is heavily oversold here. Use the LPS-1 or contact cleaner marked specifically as "Contact Cleaner", and you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom