Wire Dial string FM tuner

In most cases, braided nylon "Backing" for fly lines works well as does heavier suture silk. About the only reason to stick with a braided steel tuning cable is if it trying to be kept as cosmetically original as possible internally

In most cases, braided nylon "Backing" for fly lines works well as does heavier suture silk. About the only reason to stick with a braided steel tuning cable is if it trying to be kept as cosmetically original as possible internally

Guitar string like a high E or B string

Nylon is not a good option. Better to use dacron, like some fishing line backing (doens't stretch). Most home audio tuners use a dacron line. My 2 cents.

Nylon is not a good option. Better to use dacron, like some fishing line backing (doens't stretch). Most home audio tuners use a dacron line. My 2 cents.

Rayon has a nasty tendency of breaking down on it's own- it is derived from wood pulp. It also happens to be what used for fly line backing and level wind fishing reels. The newer braided nylon types are more stable. But neither is going to work when a braided steel line is required- though rare.

You might be able to find some steel leader material on a bulk spool somewhere or if you can find a "steel fishing leader" long enough (you may need to scour the web a bit) just cut the swivels off.

Last edited:
I was lucky and found a spool of fly fishing leader line for 10 cents if I'm recalling the right name for the stuff. Being a non fishing guy. Works great for dials.

Barney

Back
Top Bottom