Tuners?

I just won a Kenwood L-1000T on eBay this morning. I'll report my thoughts on it on this board when it arrives.Regards,
Nick
I've heard good things about those over on the Tuner Info forum. I hope you can pull the hood and show us some pics.

Thanks guys.

It has had holes drilled out on the top panel which is obviously not normal, but as the TIC review mentions that it runs hot, I presume they are to improve ventilation. It includes the manual and all-important remote.

The seller said that he had inherited it from a friend who had recently passed away who had bought the tuner from a local high end audio emporium. The ventilation holes had been added before he bought it. He has also offered me a full refund if I'm not happy with it.

At the price I bought it for, I think it's worth a punt.

Regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I have had one of these. Sold it to a mate a few months after buying it. It is a very nice unit indeed. Looks very modern too. Sound is good also. Very detailed. The thing I didn't like about it was how hot it gets. It's like an amp to be honest as it has a large transformer in there. The holes in your unit should help but I wouldn't stack on top of it unless you like the smell of cooked electronics :D

Incidently, the Kenwood KT-6040 remote control operates nearly all the functions, so if the L-1000T remote goes tots up, then you can use the 6040's remote. The unit is a large paperweight without it's remote. There is a method to get it work without the remote but you can just about tune and nothing else.

I'm sure you'll like it. Let me know what you think.

All the best,
Paul

Thanks mufster. I'm also interested to see what its DXing capabilities are like because I hear it is supposed to be up there with the best.

It'll have to sit on top of a rather heavy stack for now until I can get a wider bit of furniture so I can have 2 stacks side-by-side. I will swap it with the Sony ST-SA5ES, which needs looking at anyway.

I'm also having the aerial system overhauled on October 10th (I hope the weather isn't bad) so that will be a big improvement too.

Regards,
Nick

I have only two tuners that I use.

Rotel RT-1024
HH Scott 310-D with 135 Multiplex adapter

I also really like the tuner section in my Marantz 2285-B receiver

I'm usually a pc/smartphone/streaming-guy, but since I found a Technics SL-3210 in a local recycling trash bin some weeks ago, which I restored to fully working order: I've turned a little retro ;-)

To complete my simple Vintage-stack, I had to get a tuner. Apart from the Technics-brown SL-3210 I have integrated amp and cdplayer from Sonys QS-range in charcoal black. But I didn't find any reasonably priced of the better Sony-tuners on Ebay, only crappy ones with low-end specs(but lots of features).

So for sticking to charcoal black, for harmonizing the look of my stack, I went for a Rotel RT-850L which I won for 15$. RT-850L features upper mid-end specs and almost no features, auditioning confirmed strong and clear reception with good extension in the frequency range and stable imaging. I like the minimalistic design approach, and it's built like a tank :)

Subjectively it sounds better than the last tuner I had which I throwed away years ago, a Technics ST-G570L. The Technics always sounded too polite for my taste, like there was a thin layer between me and the music. The Rotel sounds arguably more "direct", but it looks like it requires slightly better reception to perform the best, which is not a big problem.

The best tuner I ever had was a Technics ST-G7 back in the day, which I now regret once being sold.

Hooked up for initial testing on the floor aside another amp not in use:

20141212_194500.jpg

I only have one tuner on hand. It's a new NAD C 427 refurb. It sounds real nice when I can get a clean signal from a station that doesn't squash all the life out of the sound (rare).

Nothing special, but I use the tuner in my Harman/Kardon hk740. Works fine as much as I can tell, though I don't have any experience with any really hi-fi tuners.

It's also pretty nostalgic for me, since I had this same exact receiver back in the 90s when my dad gave it to me. And now I'm reunited with it!

When I was away at school a few years back I used the tuner in my Sony receiver. It wasn't anything special, but I was literally down the street from the college station and the signal was super clean. I actually recorded a few hours of music from that station, complete with commercials, before I left school. Saved on my computer. It's a nice memento of those days.

Calrad 202m fm tube tuner (early '60's) very good condition and works well. Kenwood KT8300, like it, good sound with no glitches. Recently sold my Mac mr74 also a very good unit. Two Pioneer receivers; sx780 and sx950. Will probably give my son the Pio SX780 and look to replace it with a Sansui, been thirty years since having any Sansui equipment.

Last edited:
My only tuner is a Nikko Gamma V, but it won't tune.

In my main system is a Marantz AV600 tuner/preamp, and it works well.

In my shop system is a Luxman R-5030, which I use as a tuner (great tuner section, btw).

My office system is dedicated to internet radio.

My living room system is a Proton 300 table radio, and it tunes very well.

I have a few tuners but by far the best to listen to with out a doubt is the Hitachi FT 5500 MK2.

Blaupunkt pt-3750

I use this BLAUPUNKT PT-3750 which is in fact a rebadged YAMAHA T-1020 from 1986. It is a great tuner.

BLAUPUNKT%2520PT-3750.jpg

My fav top 5 (in order) would be-

1-Trio L-02T
2-Trio KT-907
3-Trio Model 600T
4-Trio Model 700T
5-Sansui TU-919

Hi,

I have two, both Luxman´s, first t-530 and other t-50a. First one sounds clearly better, but the second one is more beautiful.

Attachments

• Luxman set.jpg
    Luxman set.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 60
Hi all would anyone have a diagram for stringing the dial cord for a Luxman R-1040 I have one of these receivers and trying to get it back on it's feet again.

Thanks,
AL

Back
Top Bottom