Scott 310E vs Fisher 200B

Yggdrasill

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Amazingly, both these tuners are currently available locally, allegedly recapped and aligned.

I was hoping that you all could comment on the differences between these two, sonically and in terms of reception ability.

Seller also has an unrefurbished FM-1000, but that I am sure is beyond my price range. :D

Seller has good taste.

I've never heard a 310, but my 330 and 350s both sound great, as does my FM-200. I can't really label any sonic differences, both seem to reproduce music well. The Fisher (at least mine) seems more selective and better at DXing.

I've a 200B and 4310. Based on what I've heard about the 310, I'd go with it over the Fisher if they are priced about the same with similar cosmetics. The 310 is more sensitive than the 200B, and both my Scott and Fisher sound personal preference good.

I owned a 310E and it was the best sounding tuner I've ever owned. Beat my Mac MR71 by a bit as well as a Fisher KM-60 and Sherwood S-3000V.

While I'd love a FM-200B, I doubt it would beat a 310E in comparable condition on a good station.

I recently picked up a 310E in your neck of the woods, in Everett. I am certain I will never own a better tuner. They ain't the most gorgeous to look at but the build quality and sound are wonderful. Very sensitive tuner. I have never heard a 200B but do own a Fisher 400, which I love. I hope you get the 310E. They do not come up for sale every day.

TS

One of the local hifi gurus has a 310E -- he brought it over here last fall; my beloved Sherwoods sound very good, but the 310E was superb, just superb, top to bottom. In a different league than the Fisher, IMO.

Another to chorus of praise for the 310E.. one the best tube tuners..

Thanks for all the replies.

Sadly, the seller turned out to be a Craigslist psychopath. Now I'm being cyberstalked/harassed! :sigh:

First time I've ever had an encounter like that. So, the search for a 310-E continues.

The 310E is IMHO the best of the tube tuners. And, even ss. I liked it better than the 10b and FM-1000.

... although one has to wonder how a Scott 4310 would compare to it...
(I've never seen nor heard a 4310, to date)

The 4310 and 310E are the same beasts. The 310E is the consumer version and the 4310 the "Studio Standard" designated for radio stations. Fisher did the same with the FM-1000 but their radio version included a provision for a crystal dedicated to the station's frequency.

Marantz simply had the 10R, a 10b with rack mount and Sherwood did the same with a rack mount adaptor for its S3000 and S2000 series.

Sadly, the seller turned out to be a Craigslist psychopath. Now I'm being cyberstalked/harassed! :sigh:

First time I've ever had an encounter like that. So, the search for a 310-E continues.

Holy shit! Did Mr. Psycho Cyberstalker even have the 310E? I have been known to put up with some crap when it comes to the pursuit of gear but this sounds wild.

... although one has to wonder how a Scott 4310 would compare to it...
(I've never seen nor heard a 4310, to date)

Here's a picture of the 4310 above my 10b.

attachment.php

Last edited:

so that 310e I see on CL is a dead end? Some serious coin...

The only two negatives I found to the 310E were 1) there were some audible clicks that were annoying - into and out of stereo? And 2) if your tuning dial is cracked, like so many are, it is almost impossible to find a replacement.

I think the FM200B is prettier and hope to find a good one some day - they seem more common for sale than the 310E.

so that 310e I see on CL is a dead end? Some serious coin...

I believe it's the same guy. He has several high end tuners for sale. I don't want to dissuade you from pursuing it and if you do I wish you good luck. I would love to hear it if you get it. It's just that my experience with him was very negative. if you want more details PM me.

At the moment I have a slew of analog and digital tuners including a Sansui 9900 a Sony ST 5000, A Denon TU 800 a Sony STJ 75 and a Phillips AH673. I have also owned a Macintosh MR 74 and a fisher KM60. The Sansui and the Macintosh were my favorites. But the Philips needs work as does the Sony STJ 75 so I don't know what they're capable of. I liked the Fisher but my wife did not like it's looks so it had to go. I want to get a tube tuner for that euphonic sound.

I believe it's the same guy. He has several high end tuners for sale. I don't want to dissuade you from pursuing it and if you do I wish you good luck. I would love to hear it if you get it. It's just that my experience with him was very negative. if you want more details PM me.

At the moment I have a slew of analog and digital tuners including a Sansui 9900 a Sony ST 5000, A Denon TU 800 a Sony STJ 75 and a Phillips AH673. I have also owned a Macintosh MR 74 and a fisher KM60. The Sansui and the Macintosh were my favorites. But the Philips needs work as does the Sony STJ 75 so I don't know what they're capable of. I liked the Fisher but my wife did not like it's looks so it had to go. I want to get a tube tuner for that euphonic sound.

I would love to hear a 310e but at that price I am just fine with my 350 and T-2...

Back
Top Bottom