Polk Monitor 10

tvelev92

Just picked these up for $100. I need to replace one of the mid drivers because it is seized and ripped. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Photo on 7-26-14 at 3.41 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 7-26-14 at 3.41 PM #2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 78
Well I think that when you find a replacement driver you'll like what you hear. A lot. I'm a closed box/transmission line guy and these do not offend. At all. Only caveat is the 4 ohm load so early SS amps might complain if they're underpowered

Not bad, definitely the better end of the Monitor series. Polk speakers are relatively common so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a spare matching driver on eBay or elsewhere. Pretty sure Polk reused a lot of their drivers across their vintage range of speakers. I have a pair of Monitor 5's I bought not long ago and the tweeters I think said SDA-1 on the backs.

I read about the Peerless tweeter upgrade; I am going to listen to them as is for a while because I don't want to spend money upgrading something that isn't working for me.

I assume you're asking what we think about the speaker quality and/or the repair needed? If you asking about the value of the $100 purchase, then this is a D&S section thread. I'd say you bought a pair of speakers that are known for having good sound. I'd also say you should have an easy time getting a replacement driver on eBay. No comment on the value relating to the purchase price, so your thread doesn't get moved by a mod.

I assume you're asking what we think about the speaker quality and/or the repair needed? If you asking about the value of the $100 purchase, then this is a D&S section thread. I'd say you bought a pair of speakers that are known for having good sound. I'd also say you should have an easy time getting a replacement driver on eBay. No comment on the value relating to the purchase price, so your thread doesn't get moved by a mod.

I am mostly trying to anticipate what the speakers will sound like. I will be putting a Sony ta-n77es pre amp and amp through them but it is at my parents' house about 600 miles away. just excited

I have a pair of 10B's and they're a very good all-around speaker.

Club Polk is an excellent source of information on all things Polk. There may be new replacements available, and being a member entitles you to a discount on items purchased directly through Polk.

Enjoy.

Yes, you can get a new replacement directly from Polk. I got one to replace a seized driver. Iirc they are $65 or so but you get a discount if you are a club Polk member.

I am mostly trying to anticipate what the speakers will sound like. I will be putting a Sony ta-n77es pre amp and amp through them but it is at my parents' house about 600 miles away. just excited

Tons of sound quality threads on the 10's, because they are very popular! I have a pair in the workshop I'm about to pull out and listen to for a bit.

Those are late 10Bs with 6503 drivers You can find them on Ebay or Club Polk. Polk sells new ones but they sound slightly different then the originals. You should be able to find an original for around $25. as the 6503 was used in almost everything SDA wise after 1986 and Monitor 10Bs, RTA 11 and RTA15.

Those are late 10Bs with 6503 drivers You can find them on Ebay or Club Polk. Polk sells new ones but they sound slightly different then the originals. You should be able to find an original for around $25. as the 6503 was used in almost everything SDA wise after 1986 and Monitor 10Bs, RTA 11 and RTA15.

thanks. I have a replacement driver on the way! I had no idea that this speaker had a passive radiator driver. Cant wait to have a listen

I picked up a pair of 10's over the weekend on CL.

They sound really nice to my ears. Running them with a HK avr 40 and a audio source amp 300 also from CL, I hope you enjoy yours. :thmbsp:

Waiting to hear what you think. I have been running a pair for about a week. They are growing on me.

Back
Top Bottom