a/d/s L710 question

nhparrot

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Any a/d/s historians out there. What vintage L710's had cabinets with rounded edges and what did they go for new?

still no such brand as a/d/s

The cabinets with rounded corners and perforated metal grills were from the last version of L710 ADS produced, other models shared that look including the final version of L810 and L400 among others.

The 1980 line catalog shows that version of the L710 priced at $325 each, so $650/pr. http://sportsbil.com/ads/1980-brochure.pdf

At that point in the company history, the brand was ADS (all caps). Became a/d/s/ (with three slashes) later on.

John

I think I paid around that amount for the 710's I bought new with the rounded corners and metal grills. $650 was quite a sum in those days.

I was told then by a local salesman that the metal grills were to protect against cat claws. He even called them "cat proof" grills.

Yes, that's the upside... and I also think they look better. Mine are the bronze finish type, which match my L400's.

Having said that, the cloth grills seem to be better at keeping dust & lint off the sticky domes. Sonically? Not sure, I've only owned the metal grill versions as far as I can recall.

John

In the beginning, the company was named Braun after the German audio engineer who started the company. He lived here in Huntsville, AL and was a contemporary of Werner Von Braun. They both lived atop Monte Sano mountain, where many of the Germans lived. It is very possible he was among the German scientists brought to the US after the war to build rockets for the Army.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Different companies, Braun and ADS. Godehard Guenther founded ADS, but there was an earlier entity that imported & distributed Braun products from Germany and my understanding was they also assembled speakers in your area in the early days before founding ADS in Massachusetts in 1974.

John

Back
Top Bottom