Found Infinity Kappa 6s in a strange place...

:jawdrop::banana::banana::banana:

I can wait - heck for a Kappa Polymid I'd be willing to eat a bug.

Will send a PM asap. Thanks StimpyWan!

I just PM'd you back! Plus, I should have sent a PM earlier, asking if you wanted the mid. But, I wanted it to be a surprise!!! :D

Oh yea, if you eat a bug, take pictures, because I want to see that!!! :thmbsp: :yes: :thmbsp:

I just PM'd you back! Plus, I should have sent a PM earlier, asking if you wanted the mid. But, I wanted it to be a surprise!!! :D

Oh yea, if you eat a bug, take pictures, because I want to see that!!! :thmbsp: :yes: :thmbsp:

Does riding a friend's Harley w/o a helmet count?

Does riding a friend's Harley w/o a helmet count?

Close enough for government work!

Oh yea, an update. I found the polymid this past weekend. I've got it packed up for shipping. I just need to get it to the Post Office. Should go out Wednesday or Thursday! Sorry about being so slow (I warned you). But it won't be long now!

Then it's :banana: time. I hope. :D

They're up and running. Took pics during the process and I'll do a proper update later in the week when they land in my bedroom system to replace a pair of JBL L96s.

Stimpy's Polymid arrived on Saturday and as he suggested I pulled the dome from his driver and transplanted it into the 6K's frame. Stupid easy.

There was a wrinkle in the project as one of the EMITs that I thought was good went bad while in storage. I pulled the diaphragm and it was open. Should have known something was up when I saw the tweeter level was maxed out. Fortunately I had an EMIT with a good diaphragm but a broken faceplate magnet. A little surgery and the new EMIT was singing again.

As for eating a bug - Thursday night I woke up around midnight because something was crawling across my lower lip. Smashed it and my hand was covered in the splattered remains of a large black spider. That's one facehugger that will not be back to disturb my slumber. So glad I don't sleep with my mouth open or I would have had little Boris playing hopscotch on my molars.

Last edited:
Good luck finding and or affording original woofers for the Kappa 6. I had a set of K6 cabinets given to me, with x-overs and stands. With some "tinkering" I manage to retrofit them with off my shelf alternate parts- got them sounding pretty decent! FWIW the cast frame 10" CV woofers, with different foams, work pretty well in this design.
DC

Stimpy's Polymid arrived on Saturday and as he suggested I pulled the dome from his driver and transplanted it into the 6K's frame. Stupid easy.

Glad the mid arrived intact. I didn't think it'd be an issue to swap the good diaphragm, into your magnet structure. See, I'm always good for stupid suggestions!!! :D

I've only heard the Kappa 6 a few times, but I really liked what I heard. Not as heavy in the bass as the Kappa 7's. Though, I always thought the 6's had a better sounding midrange; a better woofer to mid 'blend'. That 10" woofer has an easier time reaching up to the the Polymid band pass hand-off than the Kappa 7's 12" woofer, and as such, they always sounded better to me. IMO.

Good thing you had spare Emit's! Someone probably clipped an amp and burnt it out. They're not party speakers, and an Emit shouldn't be treated as such. Good thing that you went dumpster diving. The Kappa's are with someone who will appreciate them.

Happy Listening! :music::music::music:

As for eating a bug - Thursday night I woke up around midnight because something was crawling across my lower lip. Smashed it and my hand was covered in the splattered remains of a large black spider. That's one facehugger that will not be back to disturb my slumber. So glad I don't sleep with my mouth open or I would have had little Boris playing hopscotch on my molars.

Oh yea, that spider doesn't count! It's an arachnid, which isn't an insect! :D:no::D

I have a pr of kappa 6 woofs that I recently refoamed! PM me regarding pricing! Also if you end up not sourcing all the parts to rebuild speakers, I would be interested in the good polydome for my kappa 9!

The OP already found replacement Kappa 6 woofers. That's why I sent him my Polydome. It's the only driver that gonzo still needed. So, the Kappa 6's are up and running! :yes:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=8001207&postcount=16

Project update time!

A fellow AKer had a pair of 6Ks that he wasn't going to repair anytime soon so he sold me the woofers. Repaired the woofers last week with a kit and installed them Thursday night. The one ripped midrange is still in need of repair but I'll get to that eventually.

Apologies for not getting the pics and review up but family obligations have prevented me from spending quality time with the Kappas. They are set up in the bedroom system but listening time has been hard to come by. When I was testing them with a Panasonic HT digital amp/receiver they sounded a little harsh in the mids and the bass wasn't as tight as I thought it should be. Given that the amp is only about 60wpc this wasn't too surprising. With my Tripath Audiosource amp (200wpc) the midrange improved considerably but I think the woofers still need more break-in time before they really shine.

My name up in lights...!!! My 15 minutes of Fame...!!! :D

It Bums me out that the Polymid 'turned' like it did. When I bought it on eBay, it looked pristine. Plus, I had it covered, and stored away, the whole time that I had it. So, no direct sunlight at all. And the mid still discolored! I wonder why??? Must be something to do with the material that Infinity used in the diaphragm. A break-down with age...? :scratch2:

After some auditioning the 6Ks just didn't sound right even when driven by my bedroom system. Eventually I discovered that the previous owner had removed a significant amount of polyfill from the one speaker I used as a reference for stuffing its mate. I contacted a friend who was parting out a dead pair and stole the polyfill. Now they definitely have the EMIT/Polymid sound I was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom