Fulton Musical Industries

JBStemp

Ghoul Power
Picked these up today...:banana:

Fulton Musical Industries Model 80 & "J-Modular" loudspeakers, I think :scratch2:

They sounded really good at the sale... Sadly I wont be able to test drive them for a while my lestining area is going through a face lift.

Some pics:yes:

All dressed up :thmbsp:

DSC_1491.jpg

DSC_1492.jpg

DSC_1493.jpg

DSC_1494.jpg

Lucky you. Those were SOTA at the time they came out (late 70s I believe)

look like they are in nice shape, too.

awesome. I have heard the ones that use the bass cab and FMI-80 and planar tweets and it was much better than those miss matched components should sound. Are their mids in that setup as well?

Oh my, those are very special. A pal of mine had those back in the 70s and I thought they were outstanding speakers; at the time the only direct radiators I thought compared to them were the big Frieds like the H and maybe the Dayton Wright stats.

The fella powered them with Dynaco 400 that had these big extra capacitors wired in off to the side.

Last edited:
Those are beautiful! I am to pick up a set of these this weekend from Jaykoly. I hope they look as good as your pair Congrats!

I call BS, Stemp does not post at least he told me so.

Nice, wonder what the solinoids are for ?

That crossover is a bit, shall we say, complicated? Never had the pleasure of listening to them. Their reputation is formidable.

I call BS, Stemp does not post at least he told me so.

Are you kidding me ? his fingers started twitching as soon as they were loaded up.....:D

Picked these up today...:banana:

Fulton Musical Industries Model 80 & "J-Modular" loudspeakers, I think :scratch2:

........ Sadly I wont be able to test drive them for a while my lestining area is going through a face lift.

Spread 'em out a bit and run the cables to your Mc tubbage they're plenty long and give em a listen I say !......oooops looks like that ain't workin'
:music:

Last edited:
They have the newest series of crossovers from Bob's long line of mods. It also looks like the RTRs are from after he bought them out. Nice!

And interesting that the RTRs have insulation in them - isn't the back open as well?

They have the newest series of crossovers from Bob's long line of mods. It also looks like the RTRs are from after he bought them out. Nice!

And interesting that the RTRs have insulation in them - isn't the back open as well?

There were grills on both the front and the back AIR.
Tweets were terminated on the top.

Those are kick ass. Love seein' "off the radar" planar/stat stuff.

So, you thinkin' of ditchin that network and goin active? :D

And what the hell is the thing right in the middle of the board that looks like pertrified honeycomb?

And what are the mids?

That crossover is quite the work of art. I heard jay's a couple of years ago and thought they sounded fantastic. I like the grills that make them looks like one giant speaker!

What they are...

That is a nice looking pair of J-Modular speakers which have been well taken care of, and seem to have updated crossovers.

The mids ARE FMI 80 bookshelf speakers, with a fantastic sounding 8 inch driver, paper cone and cloth surround, enclosure laying down on their sides, carefully positioned to be time aligned on top of the woofer.

The automotive-looking crossover part certainly IS as reported, a Packard 6 VDC starter solenoid, which measures about 1.75 mHY and can be added in series to get values, as Mr. Fulton did. These air core inductors were called "wroinkers" because that was the sound of a Packard engine starting with the electric starter. The curly part is a low Ohmic value power resistor, we called them "hair curlers".

By now, thirty years later, the ten inch upper woofer driver may possibly be high in distortion, due to having weak surrounds, and the 12 inch slot loaded woofer's voice coil may be hanging down, extended OUT of its gap, due to 40 years of it facing down, firing into the slot. One can carefully remove the 12 inch Alnico RTR driver and reverse-bias the woofer's surrounds with weights around the cone, (have it sit the "other way", with a weighted cone bias applied, for a week) and get the cone partially or fully re-centered in many cases.

There will be a web site dedicated to Robert W. Fulton, on line in the future. We will have the J-Modular Owner's Manual reproduced, with hook ups and enclosure positioning dimensions, and MANY more cool things.

There is no need to actively biamp the speaker, it can be bi or tri amped using its own passive crossovers !! I'd approach the unit carefully and ONLY make conservative restoration choices, easy does it !!

Jeff Medwin in Warrensburg, MO.

great info.

I have heard the FMI 80 by itself and it is a good bookshelf speaks on it's own. I'm guessing someone went, "hey, if was add a bass module to add the missing low end and tweeter array to extend the top this beautiful mid range will be even better"

Back
Top Bottom