The KLH 5...a pleasant surprise

centsless

Saw an ad here for these speakers and not ever seeing or hearing a pair of KLH's, I did a little research. As soon as I read it was made to take on the AR3a and was only made three years, I called him and went to see them.

They were in almost mint condition and I loved the look of the cabinet and grill combo with the black insert. He played them on a Sansui 2000 he had and they sounded like chit and I almost walked away........then remembered they were made to take on the mighty AR3a....so I reconsidered and bought them for a hundred bucks thinking there is something I can do fix these.

Got them home and hooked them to the Sansui G-8000 and still was unimpressive. I removed the grill and looked over the drivers....and then noticed the surround on the woofers was very transparent. I got out the AR sealer I had for a set of AR3's I did and applied a good coat....then added a second after a few days as it still seemed porous and even did the dust cap one coat. Let that set up for a few days and then turned the receiver back on and wow!!!.....what a dramatic difference. I love the sound of these 5's as the imagery is awesome. Very clear mid over the nice bass and can now see them competing against the mighty AR. I question why they were only made for three years...but that certainly makes them rare and a keeper!...:)

Can't even imagine when I recap them. Anyone have them?

No, but wish I had them.

They miss in my holy collection.

Enjoy them... life's short for an audiophile.

I think sales started to tank. All the current 12" KLHs stopped being sold in the same time frame (the 5, 6, 12, and 23), somewhere in 1972. The next 12" after that was (only) the Model Thirty. Ever encountered them? Me either.

I also wish I had a pair. I've read so many good reviews. They are on my list to acquire. I love my 23's and hopefully soon I can add the 5's. You did very well. Enjoy them.

I had some Model Five's that were amazing! They were the speaker that made me truly appreciate the KLH brand! Sadly, I sold them... but, I'd buy another pair in a minute!

Great speakers! I have them in our family room, 18 X 22 and their sound can be described as being felt. The bass is just amazing, staging exceptional in a large space. They sit about 18 feet apart. They can take a lot of power as well.

Mine were recapped prior to my purchasing them, but I also resealed the surrounds and dust caps on the woofers, and the mid surrounds as well.

I still think my AR3's are better, but the Fives are outstanding as well.

Congrats!

304962_10151042421447817_1149084647_n.jpg

574585_10151042421527817_1721159711_n.jpg

I own a pair of KLH Fives. Like most of the classic KLH's, they benefit from replacement of the crossover capacitors. KLH had a tendency to use very low end caps, and of course they are 40-50 years old now!

This is a fairly large undertaking with the Fives, but well worth it (as is sealing the cloth surrounds, as you noted).

I also own a pair of Sixes and 23's, and have owned 17's, 20's, 24's and 32's. I rank them as follows (highest to lowest):

Fives
23's
Sixes
17/20

I regret having let the 24's go...they were an exceptionally good small bookshelf speaker at a low price point, and I enjoyed their punchy sound.

I have both 5s and 23s, and I have to say that the KLH attempt to match the AR never got it done for me. I guess the attempt to increase efficiency with the big magnet on the bass driver in an undersized enclosure resulted in a rolled off low end that I didn't try to eq into equivalence with the AR stuff. That said, my shop subwoofer runs the KLH 23 drivers in a home brew TL that goes real low, like into the 20s. And I love the permanence of a retreatable cloth surround. Of course the total excursion is modest by modern standards but I'm old; too loud is just that. I'll have to move the 5s into rotation this winter since I'm getting tired of the Advent 2way project.

I find the KLH Five to be a distinctly different sound than the big AR's (2a, 2ax, 3, 3a, 5), and I agree that it does not go quite as low. But the overall sound is quite pleasing.

I find the KLH Five to be a distinctly different sound than the big AR's (2a, 2ax, 3, 3a, 5), and I agree that it does not go quite as low. But the overall sound is quite pleasing.

I have the pleasure of having 23's and 5's stacked upright in their natural positions with best result of the 23's on the bottom. FYI, the two together make for gut feeling bass. The two together as fronts and the 6's as surrounds make for a very nice concert hall atmosphere out in the cave. Been thinking about charging admission, cause when they come to listen they don't want to leave. Oh, I got off track, yea the 5's are great speakers. One AK'er even put them in the same category of his Quad ESL 63's (I think). Do the proverbial recap and enjoy! :D

They are lovely speakers, both visually and sonically. I have a recapped/resealed pair in my bedroom system, and I love 'em. I had no choice about recapping because the old caps had completely failed, leaving the tweeters silent. After restoration the Fives make a very pleasing sound.

I also recapped/resealed a pair of Seventeens and just gave them to a friend who's very happy with them. They're not in the same league as the Fives, though.

I agree they are nice looking and sound really good. I haven't looked at the caps yet but the tweeter is heard in the music as well as the nice mids. The bass is goes low but it is different then the AR bass....but the overall sound of the KLH is superb.....so maybe the caps have already been done. It is so nice, I have no desire to take them apart yet to see. I forgot pics so here ya go...:)

GD....how do they sound on the floor? I am so use to having speakers on stands as they sound the best to me unless of course if it is a big speaker like my Sansui SP5500's.

Attachments

• KLH 5 speakers..... 7-14 001.jpg
    KLH 5 speakers..... 7-14 001.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 97
  • KLH 5 speakers..... 7-14 003.jpg
    KLH 5 speakers..... 7-14 003.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 91
  • KLH 5 speakers..... 7-14 004.jpg
    KLH 5 speakers..... 7-14 004.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 74
  • KLH 5 speakers..... 7-14 005.jpg
    KLH 5 speakers..... 7-14 005.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 77
KLH 5s! Very nice. I'd agree with the rankings given above.

At this point I only have KLH 17s in the fold. But they are also an easy listen.

Although not quite the same level as 5s. The Ratshack Nova 8/8bs were clone attempts that sound OK. I have a couple of sets of 8s that I need to mine for parts and redo crossovers so I can have ONE good pair!

I'd buy a set of KLH 5s at the drop of a hat if I could get a good price on them!

Enjoy!

cnh2

I agree they are nice looking and sound really good. I haven't looked at the caps yet but the tweeter is heard in the music as well as the nice mids. The bass is goes low but it is different then the AR bass....but the overall sound of the KLH is superb.....so maybe the caps have already been done. It is so nice, I have no desire to take them apart yet to see. I forgot pics so here ya go...:)

GD....how do they sound on the floor? I am so use to having speakers on stands as they sound the best to me unless of course if it is a big speaker like my Sansui SP5500's.

They sound great! The KLH model Six was designed to be on the floor as per the owners manual. These I'm doing the same, though may make some 2 inch riser stands so they don't accidently get kicked.

Try yours on the floor, and at various heights for fun. Everyone likes sound differently.

Yours are in gorgeous condition. Great score!

Glenn

We have two pair stacked in the bedroom. They make great tower speakers;) A little recap and seal, they sound great for 46 years old.

They sound great! The KLH model Six was designed to be on the floor as per the owners manual. These I'm doing the same, though may make some 2 inch riser stands so they don't accidently get kicked.

Try yours on the floor, and at various heights for fun. Everyone likes sound differently.

Glenn

Thanks!!! Got lucky....and to think I almost walked away at first.

The owners manual calls them to be on floor? Odd...in that it is probably considered a bookshelf speaker and my KLH logos were on the speaker sideways so previous owner must have had them elevated on a shelf or stand. Not any marks on them so I am sure they were up where no one could kick or push or scratch it....:) I will try it though.

The added plus is only made for three years so I am sure they are rare.

I own the 23s and my neighbor bought the Fives. Both sound fantastic but the Fives were better. I recapped both sets and man do they sing! My neighbor was very impressed at how much better they sounded after the recap. I got a handle of vodka and a case of beer for the job.lol

Congrats on a great find those cabs look brand new!

Glenn

I had my 23's on the floor and thought they sounded better with 4" wooden stand I found on the local CL. Brings that tweeter a little more to ear level.

Back
Top Bottom