Overhaulin' Sunbeam Tiger Episode Airs Nov 4, 2014

4 cylinders and a hundred or so HP.

Wonder if it's a real Tiger. Many, many are not.

Chip
'67 Series V

Last edited:
Aw man they will mod it:thumbsdn:

So what? They'll also take an unrestored car and subject it to a top notch complete and total teardown and rebuild along the way. All free of charge to the owner.

What's the difference between a Sunbeam alpine and the tiger?

From good old wikipedia....

The Sunbeam Tiger is a high-performance V8 version of the British Rootes Group's Sunbeam Alpine roadster, designed in part by American car designer and racing driver Carroll Shelby and produced from 1964 until 1967. Shelby had carried out a similar V8 conversion on the AC Cobra, and hoped to be offered the contract to produce the Tiger at his facility in America. Rootes decided instead to contract the assembly work to Jensen at West Bromwich in England, and pay Shelby a royalty on every car produced.

Two major versions of the Tiger were built: the Series I (1964–67) was fitted with the 260 cu in (4.3 L) Ford V8; the Series II, of which only 633 were built in the final year of Tiger production, was fitted with the larger Ford 289 cu in (4.7 L) engine. Two prototype and extensively modified versions of the Series I competed in the 1964 24 Hours of Le Mans, but neither completed the race. Rootes also entered the Tiger in European rallies with some success, and for two years it was the American Hot Rod Association's national record holder over a quarter-mile drag strip.

Production ended in 1967 soon after the Rootes Group was taken over by Chrysler, which did not have a suitable engine to replace the Ford V8. Owing to the ease and affordability of modifying the Tiger, there are few surviving cars in standard form.[3]

I should have nominated you my friend!
Regards,
Jim

That's too rare and special a car to get "Foosed"

Can't wait to see the 22" inch rims.

I know of what I speak.

Enjoy

Eric

One of my neighbors has a Alpine that's been sitting for at least 30 years in the same place. I'll have to check it out. Might be fun to restore and drive.

Aw man they will mod it:thumbsdn:

That's too rare and special a car to get "Foosed"

Can't wait to see the 22" inch rims.

I know of what I speak.

Enjoy

Eric

Yep some people just don't get it. :no:
What was the trend in the 70s, 80, 90s does not look cool today. What was originally designed and restored correctly looks cool in any decade.

22" rims :scratch2: It would look like a tracktor:D

When I was a teaching assistant at a local high school (in the autoshop) one of the kids had a Tiger with the 260 in it. Just north of the High School there was a set of 15mph S curves. When I first got to the school they were just finishing up putting it back together from having gone off the corners and out into a field. Right before the end of the school year the guys were again working on putting it back together for having done the same stupid thing.

Kid didn't appreciate what his daddy had given him.

When I was a teaching assistant at a local high school (in the autoshop) one of the kids had a Tiger with the 260 in it. Just north of the High School there was a set of 15mph S curves. When I first got to the school they were just finishing up putting it back together from having gone off the corners and out into a field. Right before the end of the school year the guys were again working on putting it back together for having done the same stupid thing.

Kid didn't appreciate what his daddy had given him.

Funny you should mention this. At my school we had a kid with a Tiger. I at the time had my Nash Metropolitan and he continually made fun of me. One day I challenged him to a race from downtown Portsmouth to Wallis Sands, one of the two main beaches in NH. The route is all back roads with a lot of narrow sharp curves. All the smart money was on him, great odds. No handicap so off we went. I waited an hour at the beach before learning he had found out the hard way that the Tiger does not handle like an Alpine or even a lowly Nash Metropolitan on the curves. Car had the underbelly ripped out; luckily it did not flip and be was not injured.

The winnings went to buy a MG1100 and make minor changes ;) such as subbing in the Cooper S engine and the fwd components used when a S was set up for racing. With that I knocked off anything any other kid had in school on the same road. My speed days did not last, though. I may be one of only a few who got a ticket for.going too slow on a road with no posted minimum speed notice. And, my wife drives faster in her Volvo 4-cyl 940 than I do in my 6-cyl Volvo 960.

hopefully they will just restore it and maybe put a nice set of rims on it!they have screwed a lot of cars IMO and done a few right.
the worse one I ever saw (PUN) was when they took an old Tbird and cut off the roof cause the owner wanted a convertible!

It is the owner's car. They can do what ever they want with it. The owner was happy and that is all that matters.

Not quite. Convertibles generally have a different frame to make up for the lack of structural integrity that a car body roof gives. Highly unlikely, but if there's ever a wreck where the body/frame is compromised and someone is hurt, they may be holding the bag when their insurance company says, "Sorry!"

And like Brian says, a few RR crossings at too high speed, and the driver's seat may lower itself, along with the floor of the car.

Last edited:
Funny thing,

Yes I own my classics but I know I'm realy only the caretaker for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom