Multi-zone receiver purchase help

hieb

I'm looking for a multi-zone (2 minimum, 3 ideal) audio receiver. Each zone, 2 of which are outdoors, are two channels only and the 3rd is two channels with a subwoofer.

The only must, aside from the multi-zone, is having iPod connectivity.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. I'd like to keep it under $200 and would consider a factory refurb.

Thanks!

Look at accessories4less, a lot of refurbed Denon and Onkyo models that are close to your price range. Not sure you are going to get a sub out with a zone 2 setup. Also a three zone model will require a 9.1 model, which is typically a lot more than your budget. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
It only has two zones, so you can add an A/B switch to the Zone B outputs. That way Zone B has two places to go.

It only has two zones, so you can add an A/B switch to the Zone B outputs. That way Zone B has two places to go.

I saw that. I think I am now planning on combining two of the three zones (they are on a deck and a porch). I assume it's possible to run two sets of speaker wires to each terminal of zone B?

Yeah, as long as you don't mind they're the same volume when they're playing, and that the combined load is within the rating of the amp. Generally speaking, if not less than 4 ohms should be OK.

Of course, if you wanted independent volume controls you could install them in one or both areas of Zone 2.

It's beyond your current budget and would require separate amplification, but something like a used Anthem AVM 20 is three zones straight up, four zones if you do it right.

Another thing to be mindful of is how the iPod will be connecting, or any sources for that matter. Quite a few receivers will not pass any digital inputs outside of main/Zone 1. The Anthem I mentioned will pass digital inputs to any/all zones. It also has extensive IR capability built in (just add sensors) and you could run it all from either zone as well.

Last I looked they were $400, give or take, on the used market. That's been a while, may be less now...or may be they've bottomed out. Would still need amps though.

Back
Top Bottom