EQ suggestions

100dbhurts

My first post....
We've right-sized out of the big house to a smaller place (hey, it's paid for). My stereo is now set up in a sun room (converted, extended patio). The rear wall is brick. All tile floor, four sliding glass doors, four windows. No carpet or upholstered furniture. Peaked ceiling of cedar. Sound system is muddy, losing definition, I'm sure from all the reflected sound. It actually sounds better OUTSIDE with the doors open.

Marantz SR880
Teac EQ-A5
Sony CDP CE600
2 Spendor S8's
Paradigm Sub PS 100

Any ideas, hints.....apologies:D

Start with rugs and some kind of acoustic treatment on the brick wall. You're not going to EQ those reflections away.

Rule of thumb ... kill one wall of each pair. Deadening the floor with carpet and the back wall with floor to ceiling fiberglass insulated drapes would be a good start ...

Oh ... and tack some carpets on the ceiling ... <G>

ceiling-carpets-001.jpg

If you don't want to do full carpeting or wall treatments, your main target should be primary reflection points. That's what the ceiling carpets are all about here ... used to get a real shrill reflection bouncing about ... no longer an issue.

Rule of thumb ... kill one wall of each pair.

This can cause image shift (among other undesirable things) if one side boundary surface is absorptive and the other reflective. The key to good acoustics is a symmetry (except with diffusion, but that's a whole other discussion well beyond what the OP needs to be considering at this point).

My first post....
We've right-sized out of the big house to a smaller place (hey, it's paid for). My stereo is now set up in a sun room (converted, extended patio). The rear wall is brick. All tile floor, four sliding glass doors, four windows. No carpet or upholstered furniture. Peaked ceiling of cedar. Sound system is muddy, losing definition, I'm sure from all the reflected sound. It actually sounds better OUTSIDE with the doors open.

Marantz SR880
Teac EQ-A5
Sony CDP CE600
2 Spendor S8's
Paradigm Sub PS 100

Any ideas, hints.....apologies:D

Ok, now that I have a little more time let's get you set in the right direction so those sweet Spendors are singing. Best to start here so you can get a grasp on what's creating the problems and how to remedy them.....

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=446798

When you're ready to introduce some absorption panels into the room I highly recommend the portable ones I mention in the thread in linked to. With four sliding glass doors in the room I'm betting you''ll need to place absorption in front of a few (or all) of them if any of them turn out to be in an early reflection location. You may want to just get something in front of them regardless as glass is pretty crappy when it comes to acoustics.

^^^

HA! Yes, that would be the bane of audio enthusiasts 'round the world.....Wife Approval Factor. :nono:

Good news...bad news....
We substantially improved the room acoustics by installing insulated (backed) curtains on all four windows and the four sliding glass doors and adding some heavier furniture. Made a tremendous difference. A braided carpet is next.

And now my Marantz has started turning itself off, then powering back up after a few minutes. Spoke with an Authorized Marantz tech and they don't service them if more than 10 years old. This amp is more than 15 years old I believe.

Any ideas or recommendation on a replacement in the $700 to $1000 range?? And I'm only using this as a listening room, just need a stereo amp w/ a sub-out/pre-out

I want to hold a memorial sevice for it...it's been a bad-ass A/V Receiver:tears:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom