Advent/1 fixing up

02County

AK Member
I just finished replacing the surrounds on a pair of Advent/1s. I really enjoy tinkering with speakers and am interested in learning more about acoustic suspension designs generally. Does anyone have some suggestions on things I can do to improve the performance on these Advents?

I'm planning to work on sealing the cabinets better using plumbers putty around the drivers. The caps are 13uf 50v - I am having a hard time finding similar values on parts express - are those things worth replacing?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Thanks

Yes replace them. Dayton 250V poly use a 10uF and a 2.7uF in parallel.
Or 11 + 2, or 6+7, or 5 + 8.

The point being, you can add values. It's not uncommon for a manufacturer to do this, either due to space, cost, availability, etc.

I own both early and late model Advent/1. Are yours the vinyl or real wood finish. Another way to tell is the early the grill is flush, where the later has grill that stick out from the front baffle.

Before changing things like values, or other mods, get them off the ground. For best "imaging" I had mine with the tweeters at ear level. Huge difference in performance. Don't expect "strong" bass, cabinet is too small for the driver. They do go deep, but the "volume" of bass doesn't keep up with the rest of the frequencies.

Have fun, nice speaker.

Cool, thank you for responding.

My understanding of wiring caps in parallel is that you want to match impedance and at least equal voltage? So going with caps rated for far higher voltage is not an issue.

Looks like I can get a pair of 6.2 and a pair of 6.8 uf caps from PE for a reasonable amount. They are rated at 250v.

I raised the Advents off the floor and placed them on top of some towers that I have in my office/shop. Change was remarkable. Put Pet Sounds and the Fleet Foxes through them. Makes me wish all days were snow days.

Cool - I ordered the 6.8s and 6.2s. Have never wired in parallel so I wanted to give that a try. But Ive bookmarked partsconnexion - good link.

The Advents are early Advent/1s - vinyl exterior with screens set flush with the front.

Cool - I ordered the 6.8s and 6.2s. Have never wired in parallel so I wanted to give that a try. But Ive bookmarked partsconnexion - good link.

The Advents are early Advent/1s - vinyl exterior with screens set flush with the front.

Please share you thoughts before and after the cap replacement, and also if you try adding more poly-fill. I'll be doing the same thing soon if all goes well!
:music:

an improvement is to add more dense fill in the cabinets. this will improve your bass response tremendously
Poly or fiberglass or either? I might give that a try, though I have other speakers in the man cave that deliver quite well in the nether region. Bass that is.

I just that very thing to my Advent/1s, refoamed and replaced the caps and resistors, the latter because it is easy to damage them when removing the capacitor. They sound great now! I got them from Erse in Nov. 2014. I bought (in case I screwed up) extras in the attached photos which I have no use for. I'll mail them to you if you P.M. me with your information.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 17
I just that very thing to my Advent/1s, refoamed and replaced the caps and resistors, the latter because it is easy to damage them when removing the capacitor. They sound great now! I got them from Erse in Nov. 2014. I bought (in case I screwed up) extras in the attached photos which I have no use for. I'll mail them to you if you P.M. me with your information.
I've used Erse in almost all my rebuilds. Also use their coils. Who were you asking to PM you?

O2 county if he wants the 13uf caps and the resistors in the picture I attached. If he doesn't want them I will send them to whoever else wants them. They are extras which I have no use for. I would rather give them away than throw them out.

I will post pics and updates as I swap out the caps. Thanks to fahfisher500, I'll do the same with the resistors and can even consider the difference between two caps in parallel vs a single 13 uf cap.

Back
Top Bottom