ADS 1230 or ESS 1a

I need to replace the diaphragm in my Heil tweeter. Can anyone give me info about rebuilding these? How do they come apart? What should I look out for?

Replacing diaphragm couldn't be any easier. The old one pulls right out and the new one slides back in. Just go slowly so that the netting covering the pleats on the Diaphragm don't catch on the magnet structure while sliding it in. Replace the putty gasket and you are good to go. It can be installed either way.

Thanks EssNeff,

I removed one of the transformers from the Elite cabinet and set it aside to try to figure out how the crossover came out. When I looked at the transformer again the magnets had pushed apart and formed a gap. I think the diaphragm was stretched and due to age it may have been damaged. I am a little apprehensive to touch them again, but something should be done to restore the Elites. I will likely have someone else repair the cabinets and maybe rebuild the crossover. I don’t know how the crossover comes out of the cab. It is possible they installed the crossover and then finished the cabinet by gluing the top panel on. I could save money by replacing the diaphragm and then turning the rest of the work over to someone in Seattle.

I have heard there are different diaphragms for different years. Does it matter if I get a new diaphragm that fits the Great Heil? Or should I look for something specific to the early years of production?

Attachments

• DSCF2048.jpg
    DSCF2048.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF2051.jpg
    DSCF2051.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF2052.jpg
    DSCF2052.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF2049.jpg
    DSCF2049.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF2050.jpg
    DSCF2050.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 16
It looks like Parts Express has #1008. Simply Speakers has the same one and they also sell #1107. I think I need #1107 but will have to give them a call. The prices at Parts Express are better but if it is not right it is not right.

I've listened for a few days now, really liking these, but I'm finding that prudence is key, can't add too much. I've got them on the 5k and level down all the way, even this adds an audible difference, mainly depth and air, to the sound stage, without damaging the imaging. I was finding the 1k was too much with the IMF super tweeter, felt like they were conflicting with each other. Granted the IMF super tweeter is 40 years old and likely way off spec, it still sounds and images great.

Thanks C-attle. That DIY article nailed it! Part #689-1107 is the proper diaphragm and it is at Simply Speakers. Shout out to matt28sr at DIY. What a great and detailed article. Most helpful!

Thanks C-attle. That DIY article nailed it! Part #689-1107 is the proper diaphragm and it is at Simply Speakers. Shout out to matt28sr at DIY. What a great and detailed article. Most helpful!

Ok, lots of documentation, please. Think one side of mine is a bit weak.

If the diaphragm is a bit wavy I would not fret too much.
If both have the same output you should be fine.
Buy some spares while they are cheap and available
Some like the sounds of the old new and newer diaphragms buts it's apples and oranges IMHO
The oldest have no netting
The only ones that were significantly different were the 17 pleat AMT 3 original diaphragms
I would not recommend taking them out unless your having a issue as the leads are fragile on all types
Break one off and they are usually done
Not sure how the crossover is mounted etc but given the nature of their duties and if they sound fine I would be tempted to leave them as is and enjoy
Or have someone like Midwest Speaker Simply Speaker or Orange County handle a recap if you can't figure it out and are dead set on it

Last edited:
Thanks Automojo. I agree with your advice about leaving the crossovers alone. The diaphragms need to be replaced so I will go forward with that when I can get around to it. Right now, buying 2 diaphragms is a financial pinch and there are other pieces needing attention and investment.

The AMT 1a’s are back in the rotation again and I continue to be amazed by them. Life is good with ESS!

Ever thought about a "Econowave" type 2way hybrid? I always wanted to try a 3 way too. Love them Heils! I think a JBL LE14H or A crossed at somewhere between 800hz and 1000hz would be cool. The LE14 can be crossed even higher than that with good results. 1khz would be my target. The big AMT's crossover @ 800hz. A 2-3.5 cf ported enclosure would do the trick for the bottom. Just a thought.... Anyways, nice thread. Very informative and interesting. I love to read about other audio guys moving up a level in understanding by putting in some sweat equity. So cool. Best regards, Steve G-

I just finished a few "improvements on the 1b's.
Refinished the exteriors. Uppers in Black Lacquer
Lower section 2 coats of Tung oil.
New Audyn capacitors with Theta bypass caps.
New Mills resistors (Thanks StanMan)
They now sound excellent !
I just need to apply damping material (brush on)
and inline 1/2 amp fuses (Thanks Automojo)
Plus new "Ear Muffs" for Heir Heil for the "Frankies and the 1b's.

Attachments

• IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 28
Most excellent !

Bad to death dude :banana::yes::D. Ever thought about applying Dynamat to the interior enclosure? Quick and very efficient . I have been a fan of the ESS systems for decades. You did a wonderful job. Very impressive. Hey, I had a pair of AMT1am's and biAmped them, crossed them over @ the stock 800hz point and noodled around with it until I found that 1khz was about the right point to get the best sound. Answers may vary..... Enjoy what you have done. You can only do so much with pure electronically derived data. Don't get me wrong, it's all good but,.... Trust what what you hear in the end. I don't need some RTA to tell my ears what they hear:yes::D. Right on. Good sound to you! Best regards, Steve G- :thmbsp::tresbon:

Nice Neff,
Muffs are cool. Maybe you can tweak em a bit shaving them to keep with the pyramid shape. Please report back after you apply the brush on damping.

Nice ear muffs Neff! They look like they can be dropped on and removed easily. I still wonder how the soundstage is influenced by the foam. Do the Heils still spread the soundstage the same way with the ear muffs? Beautiful work!

Back
Top Bottom