Advent Prodigy IIs...thoughts?

tubeampking

Chronic dabbler
I found a pair of Advent Prodigy IIs for a good price and wondered what others' thoughts on them were? I know the Jensen/Advents sometimes get a bad rap, and indeed, I had a pair of Bookshelf 1s that were pretty dreadful. Thoughts....pros/cons ?? :music:

Depends on your level of expectation. I bought my parents a set of the original Prodigy towers years and years ago. They are very pleasant sounding and great for the background/occasional semi-crank up (in old folks terms) when Dad gets excited.

They aren't "dreadful," but you aren't going to wax eloquently about how they changed your life either.

I agree with hopeless .
I just re-foamed a pair, gave them a listen and they were just, blah ,not terrible but nothing special.

That is usually the first impression of an accurate loudspeaker. With extended listening they grow on you.

My brother had two pairs, one with the 8" and one with the 10" woofers and the switch for changing the ohms. He sold them and the person knocked one over and the speaker cabinet fell apart. The hot glue that holds the cabinet was to blame. The speakers can be fixed and reglued.

If they are anything like the Legacy II (I think they are basically the same in a different cabinet), then they probably sound smooth, non-fatiguing, euphonic even. Held back only by a lack of detail in the upper registers. They were my mains for a few years, and weren't retired until I came across a pair of EPI M202s.

I had a pair of the prodigy towers as fronts and the graduates as surrounds in my living room for a while. I found the sound to be very warm and although it wasn't the most accurate I've heard, I really enjoyed listening to them. Just relaxed and non-fatiguing. I ended up selling the set as I was cleaning house on a lot of stuff. I ended up picking up a pair of the legacy's that were in pretty rough shape. That pecan is real easy to sand and restain and now all I have to do is refoam them. I'm excited to hear that sound again now that I can compare it to some different stuff. What little I tested them with when I got them sounded pretty nice.

What I've found with these is pretty much what others have said...nice but not mind-blowing. I EQ'd in a bit at 2.5k and 6.3k and keep them pretty much flat at the bottom and they are ok sounding. Definitely helped with upper mid detail...they lacked a bit there. Too much at 16K and they get a bit fizzy. My first impression was that they could be a bit boomy. Pretty big cabs for 8" woofers. I'll keep 'em around a while then maybe shuffle them to the guest room. Thanks for the input everyone...:scratch2: + :music: = :D

Actually there are three prodigy towers, the first is the prodigy with 3/4" polyamide soft dome tweeter, second is the video-shielded prodigy with it's bulking magnet woofer frame still with the 3/4" soft dome tweeter, then changing to the prodigy II with its PPTA high performance tweeter. Still all have the 45Hz to 23kHz +/- 3dB rating.
I use the first twin prodigy as my "center channel" speaker in a home theater set-up with the video-shielded prodigy siting on top of each Advent powered sub-10 sub-woofers as my main front left-right channels.
Still have these babies since new back in 1992.

Back
Top Bottom