ESS Elite

ron-c

Addicted Member
I picked up a pair of ESS Elites a few months back. These are the add on tweeters with the large Heil AMT in a walnut cabinet which is designed to set on top of whatever speaker you have.
They have a 1k or 5 k crossover controlled by a micro switch and a gain control on the back of the cabinet.
This pair was virginal and the original diaphragms were still installed. How do they sound? Not bad. I set them up with a pair of McIntosh LS330s and bypassed the internal tweeter and fed the output of the tweeter to the Elites. The LS330s cross over to the tweeter at 3500 hz so the crossover was set to 1 k on the ESS. The lower range of the AMT sounded somewhat light as I remember them.
Thinking new diaphragms might help I called ESS in Sacramento and they sell new diaphragms for $30.00 each plus freight. This is the same price as they were 20 some years ago so ESS must be in some kind of time warp.
Much to my surprise the new diaphragms were made out of some yellow material, had the netting to keep the pleats straight and seemed to have fewer pleats than the originals. The sound is very impressive now. Lots of detail with no harshness and the midrange transitions fine to the 8" LDHP midrange in the LS330s.
If anyone has some old Heil AMTs I would recommend the new diaphragms. For $60 bucks a pair you can not go wrong.
Ron-C

Thanks for the info, despite it's age. Simply speakers also sells a replacement, http://www.simplyspeakers.com/ess-replacement-ribbon-amt-heil-speaker-diaphragm-689-1107.html, granted much more. Might still check in with ESS.

I just purchased these and could not be happier with them. Last night was the kicker, I heard "so what" last night on the radio and the realism, depth and heighth of the string bass just floored me,as good if not better than my previous champion for this song, Dick Sequrrra Met 7's. It's one of those hard things to explain, but when you hear the vertical separation of the bass line in that song, you seem to want to focus on it, or i'm crazy. I"m fine with either case.

Wow! This thread was started 11 years ago and got its first hits today! ESS is in a time warp you say. What about us! This is good info about replacement diaphragms. Thanks to both of you.

I'm going to keep promoting it too. I am in love the HEIL. I'm hearing so many details in the music, that I have not previously heard. Subtle details, to be sure, but new to my ears. I'm really looking forward to what I listen too next. I've still got some work to do with my blending. I'm crossed over at 5k, and my tweeters are crossed at "3-5KHZ, 13KHZ" 1000KHZ crossover just did not sound right. I've also dialed back my HF level to as low as it will go. Might end up disconnecting the super tweeter (13K up).

Heil Details

The main reason I've stuck with the Heils is the big soundstage - the whole dipole thing seems to work like gangbusters radiating sound in all directions. The immersive effect is addictive to say the least. It makes me wonder why so many here put so much effort into the "wings", pieces of foam positioned to lessen the supposed "cancellation" effects of the dipole arrangement.
Another small detail I've noticed is the "push" (for lack of a better descriptive phrase) put into a given note from a trumpet player, a vocalist or a sax player that just doesn't seem to be there with the other speakers in the house. It's a minor detail that I can't hear all of the time (hearing varies throughout the day), but it is a factor in the overall listening experience. It could be an artificial, unnatural effect that I don't quite have a handle on, it could be all in my head.
But if we remove everything subjective from the loudspeaker hobby, it would cease to be a hobby and we'd all start collecting Faberge eggs or something. I'll stay a Heil junkie.

:worthless
picture.php

One of the Heil twins playing with an East-coast kid.
(Not sure if they belong on this thread being born that way).

Last edited:
I've got the elites in the back of the lamps now, not perfect, but I'm ok with that. And tilted up about a 1/8 in or so.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think the acid is to throw on the ape that put their drink on the woodwork.

I like water spots, keeps everyone else at ease. And I'm fine with plants. In the end it all creates more reasons for me to upgrade.

Granted, upgrading now is going to be a different thing.

I like water spots, keeps everyone else at ease. And I'm fine with plants. In the end it all creates more reasons for me to upgrade.

Granted, upgrading now is going to be a different thing.
I admire your ability to put a positive spin on what would be heresy just about anywhere else.
Tell me where the guy with the drink lives. I'LL go throw the acid on him.

I love this hobby. I am hooked on the Heils. I hope Ron-C joins us. It is amazing that this tread has sprung to life with enthusiasm 11 years after its single post start. These Elites are the coolest little speakers!
I decided to start repairing the speaker cabinets myself. I want to save the $$$’s so I can spend the cash elsewhere on my system or on LP’s. I don’t know if I should replace entire sheets of veneer or patch in small pieces. I am leaning toward small pieces to patch this. If it doesn’t look satisfactory I can redo it.

Attachments

• DSCF2066.jpg
    DSCF2066.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF2069.jpg
    DSCF2069.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF2073.jpg
    DSCF2073.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 49
My other pictures didn’t load. Here you go.

Attachments

• DSCF2019.jpg
    DSCF2019.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF2020.jpg
    DSCF2020.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 36
You could bondo the corning and go gloss black. :)

could also make your own bondo, glue and sanding waste for some of the small imperfections, your'll always see it, but will be blended.

A complete re veneer sould not be too bad on those, small and easy to work with. You could then match them to the ADS.

Hay, C-attle, I just spoke to a friend of mine who told me a story of how he left my house and the next day he found some ESS Heil Elites for sale with some EPI speakers for about $100. He called right away the day the ad was posted and never heard back but then noticed the EPI speakers were back on Craig’s. I told my friend I would yell at you for him. Dam You C-attle! There…..I did my duty as a loyal friend. Great score! Congrats!

Hay, C-attle, I just spoke to a friend of mine who told me a story of how he left my house and the next day he found some ESS Heil Elites for sale with some EPI speakers for about $100. He called right away the day the ad was posted and never heard back but then noticed the EPI speakers were back on Craig’s. I told my friend I would yell at you for him. Dam You C-attle! There…..I did my duty as a loyal friend. Great score! Congrats!

Ha, yeah that was them and me. I almost didn't pull the trigger when I saw them at 9 min, buy 20 min, I was sweating and had to do it. Cost me lots of home karma, if you know what I mean. But worth it. And yes, they are up for sale, but pending a person is coming from Spokane for them. The EPI's sound nice, but I'm hooked on my IMF's.

Back
Top Bottom