Large BLACK Advents...Take A Look!

Franksta

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have had a lot of luck over the years running into Advents and Dynacos. I had 2 pair of utility Large Advents stacked for a few years and I ended up selling them and moving in a pair of walnut New Large and a pair of walnut Originals in their place.

The other day I found another pair of utilities for $5 each so I couldn't leave them there at that price! The vinyl was peeling off in several small areas so my initial idea was to just part them out. Upon closer examination I noticed that the cabinets were still nice and solid so I decided to do something I had thought about doing before........Make them BLACK!

After checking that everything worked right and replacing one of the tweeters with a spare I had I got busy. I got my electric paint remover which is nothing but a big heating element with a handle and heated up the wood grain vinyl. It pulled off in large sections just like skinning a catfish! I sanded the glue covered MDF down smooth. I ordered a foam kit and black grill cloth from Simply Speakers. I got the refoam done and the new grill cloth on which looked great. I saved the old black inner layer of cloth so I would have the right density.

Now for the fun part....the cabinets! I have done several speakers with this same method. I used the black leather textured Ultra Contact vinyl that Home Depot sells in rolls. I removed the backing and carefully wrapped the speakers in one complete wrap ending on the bottom in the middle where I overlapped the two edges and double cut them so they would butt and not be noticed. The real expertise comes in the "turn under" on the front edges so that everything can be covered and there are no air bubbles.

The mitering of the corners and the folding and cutting involved is a little tricky but easier after you've experienced it a few times. The same tricks an upholsterer would use are used here except there are no double layers anywhere.

I must admit the results are amazing! They look great, like new and the black makes them look modern and they fit in better with the newer amps and receivers. I think I may now use them as the fronts on my HT system I'm not sure.

I wish I had taken pictures of the before to compare the results. I also wish I had taken pictures of some of the steps involved. I can give more info or pictures to anyone who may want to do their utility LA's this way. Thanks! Franksta

ImportedPhotos00030.jpg

ImportedPhotos00023.jpg

ImportedPhotos00031.jpg

ImportedPhotos00022.jpg

If I could make mine look like that I would put them in the living room rotation rather than the garage system. VERY VERY NICE

Nice Work! I thought about using the black woodgrain vinyl from Parts Express, but I like where you went with that. It looks super nice. Keep up the good work!

Wait. Stop everything. I see a flaw. There appears to a white speck above the 'A' in the Advent badge...

They look very nice. Good work!

Very nice! wow! i might try that myself if i come across nice speaks with less than perfect cosmetics

+1 on the Wow! The black looks really good.

How did you finish off the back edge? What department at Home Depot would I find the vinyl?

Very nice work! :thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:
I have a lot of admiration for folks that can stretch material over surfaces like that. I suck at it.:sigh:

Great job!

As much as I love Advents, I never was a fan of the vinyl on the utilities. They look alot better.

Excellent work! I have a pair of utilities waiting for veneer that I might switch to your treatment instead. Not sure though since I do need veneering experience. Hmm...

Finally a decent looking pair of Advents!

I remember the first time I ever heard a pair of large Advents. I thought they sounded decent but never ever did I consider buying a pair because they looked so shabby.

Thanks for the compliments! It really isn't that hard. I suppose I could do a You Tube video if enough people were interested. The real challenge comes when you fold around the front edges. I started by putting the factory cut edge of the vinyl along the rear edge. I didn't cut off any excess from the front edge to start with. After wrapping all sides I then split the excess at each corner as straight as possible from the corners out. This creates 4 flaps that you fold over. You can cut off about 3-4 inches of the excess from those flaps then but be sure to still leave enough excess for them to fold over later. The fine trimming is done later. You then have four corners with overlapping double layers. I folded the short (width) sides down first. You now do a double miter cut in those 4 corners pressing hard to go through the 2 layers. It's the next couple of cuts that are critical but if you peel back the top layer at the corner you can see that there is a little piece that now has to be cut out of each layer so that the flaps will fold in and over without interfering with each other. The piece that is cut out is the width of the thickness of the cabinet (about 3/4 ") and is square at one end and a wedge at the other end. The wedge is one side of the mitre you cut earlier. This cut is done freehanded and one layer at a time so it is the only real challenge in the project. I did all this outside on a cardboard covered table with another person peeling the paper backing off the vinyl and keeping it stretched as I placed it down and smoothed it out. That person held the roll tight as I turned the speaker over to do each side. It is nearly impossible to do with only one person if the sides of the speaker are long. I know this isn't as clear as a video but it may help some. Thanks! Franksta

Looks very nice!

Did you consider using a textured spray paint by any chance?
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=27

They also have stone and hammered style finishes. I've been
thinking about it if I ever come across a beat up pair of vinyl
covered Advents.

I have used the hammered myself and it works well. You need to keep the spray even and do it in a fairly cool place so it does not set up too fast. It is also smoother if you prime first but it will not cover bad spots in the original finish so prep is still needed.

I have used the Rustoleum Hammered finish paint many times. It looks good but it has a tendency to blush or be uneven. This vinyl finish is much more refined looking. A better way to say it is it looks more factory done than the paint. Franksta

Back
Top Bottom