ADS 1230 or ESS 1a

Squirrely

I have ADS 1230's and I am thinking of selling to buy some ESS 1a's. Does anyone have experience listening to both? I will be using tube amps: Dynaco ST-70, Eico hf-87 or Heathkit aa40. Any input would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Trust the Force Luke. aka...listen to your ears!You need to listen to the ESS,maybe someone will afford you that opportunity.(I really enjoy my 1230's with a sub)

I love my 1230's. I have 2 pare that are for 2 seperate listening areas. I would love to audition the ESS 1a's but it will be about a 4 and 1/2 hour drive pluss 2 ferry boats to get to them and home. That's life in the north west. I have to add $75 - $100 for gass and ferry ride.

I get it,but what a beautiful place to live.I would recommend at least listening to them before you leap.For what its worth I find my NHT 3.3's essentially give me everything I need in a pair of speakers albeit having an unusual form factor.Good Luck...whatever you do please report back.

Thanks Phaster. With some luck, a local AK'r might see this thread and allow me to have a listen.

By the way, I like the hat you have on in your picture. I am sure I have one just like it arround here.

HE he...I wore that hat alot when I was married so I can identify with the visual. My son swears we will take a trip to Washington as he loves the Levenworth area. Go figure.Another idea...get the 1530's,I'm considering this as well.

I have listened to 2030's once but have never seen 1530's. I think the 1530's would be my pick of these ADS speakers. The 2030's are too much speaker for me but if you want base that punches you in the gut repeatedly even at low volume listening the 2030's will do it.

I have heard both and they are very different speakers. The dome mids and tweeters in the ADS are very smooth and accurate. The ESS have a huge soundstage and super crispy highs, deeper bass too. It's a classic East Coast vs West Coast sound. It really depends on what kinds of music you like.

My tastes are all over the place. Leon Russel is playing right now. I listen to classic rock and blues mostely. Been getting into more jazz lately. If I understand what you are saying the ESS 1a's may be a better rock speaker? The room must be considered also. Especialy with the rear passive.

Yes and I hear that the heil tweeter went through changes of material over the years. I believe these are the first searies with paper rather than milar or what. They should be a little softer sounding than the ones that came after. ESS has started making this speaker again but they call it the ESS Limited Eddition. The new woffer and passive are different now and may provide an inprovement in low frequency as well as blending the transition from the woofer to the heil. They have my attention for sure.

Yes and I hear that the heil tweeter went through changes of material over the years. I believe these are the first searies with paper rather than milar or what. They should be a little softer sounding than the ones that came after. ESS has started making this speaker again but they call it the ESS Limited Eddition. The new woffer and passive are different now and may provide an inprovement in low frequency as well as blending the transition from the woofer to the heil. They have my attention for sure.

None of them were made of paper.
The earlier ones (Great Heil) where a bit clearer, then the later Teflon Mylar/screen versions.
The AMT3's where unique in that they had more pleats, and a bit more SPL, then say the AMT1 or Tower.
Some like the early versions, some the later.
They key is when replacing to make sure they are the same type, as there can SPL differences.
All versions can handle the same crossover points if they are the same size.
Using a transition driver between the woofer and Heil is the best way to get the most out of a ESS Heil.
But the 1a is a great speaker.
The ADS may be accurate, but the ESS is more musical IMHO.
I enjoy a few models of locally made DLK speakers.
The are very accurate, and I love 'em, but my AMT3's (2 pairs) are my preference most days.
Not sure how they will sound with the Dynaco.
The more low end power (and amp damping) you can get, the better IMHO.

Last edited:
I have heard both and they are very different speakers. The dome mids and tweeters in the ADS are very smooth and accurate. The ESS have a huge soundstage and super crispy highs, deeper bass too. It's a classic East Coast vs West Coast sound. It really depends on what kinds of music you like.

I agree! The ESS are very dynamic and they just seem to involve the listener more in the music. You forget you are listening to a speaker and you are drawn in...

I have ESS AMT 1B's and they are even better than my Thiel CS2's or 1.2's, and that is really saying a lot!

Thank you Automojo and SleeperSupra. I am convinced that if I can pull the cash together I will go for the ESS speakers. If this deal falls appart I may continue the quest. I had some ESS speakers back in the late 70's or early 80's. I liked them at the time but they where not like 1a's. I think they had a 10 or 12" woof and passive with a small heil tweet built into a bookshelf cab.
Thanks for your help.

Hey Squirrely, I tried to reply to your message to me, but I don't think it went through. Anyway I'll reply here.

I have the ADS L810 and L1090 speakers. Have never heard the 1230's .

The ADS speakers are really good with about every type of music you can think of. With that being said, when I came across the ESS amt 1a I basically stopped actively looking for any other vintage speakers.

Like others here have said, the sound stage, highs, and bass is very nice indeed.

While a lot of speakers with a conventional tweeter will give you the (beaming effect), the ESS with the Heil doesn't. It throws the sound to the back and front and I suspect to the side somewhat. This gives you the excellent sound staging we like! You don't have to sit exactly in the sweet spot to get great sound, but it helps. Of course room treatment helps as it does with any other speaker. If you are able to audition these make sure you play something with some high frequency material such as cymbals horns and such.

Brass instruments and cymbals sound great with the ESS.

I currently run mine with a Kyrocera integrated (100wpc) and they really sing! I'm not sure how they will do with a tube amp but I suspect that the highs will improve even more but the bass will sound a little more loose. These speakers like to be told what to do!

While I still like my ADS and will hang on to them. I don't see ever giving up the ESS. I'm a believer in the heil tweeter!:yes:

Keep us informed on how things turn out! I know I'm interested in knowing your opinions on these wonderful speakers!:music:

Back
Top Bottom