Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 recommended power

Bob808

Since my old Wharfedale XP2 speakers are not in their best shape I'm thinking of getting a new set for my Marantz 4230 receiver.
So far I've got a good deal for a Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 set. The only thing I'm not sure of is the low efficiency of the Diamonds...
The Marantz can put out 40-45 clean watts into 8 ohms if I'm running bridged in two channels.
Diamonds are 6 ohms with 100W rating.
Would that do?
Also since the Marantz is running bridged I don't know how well it suits 6 ohm loads, although my XP2 are 6 ohms as well, but 20W rated and I didn't run them that hot. Also they have a fullrange driver that is efficient and I didn't need high power.
I will be using the setup at my computer for near field. Don't need huge bass, I can always add a woofer in the setup.
I can get the Diamonds for around 80 euro.

Most receivers I've seen when bridged are designed for an 8 ohm load. There may be some wiggle room but I'm not sure about the Marantz 4230.

I've replaced the output transistors with MJE15032 if that helps as info...
Doesn't get hot at all while listening to the XP2's at normal listening levels.
Might get tricky on the 10.1 as I'd need to crank it up a bit I presume.

I'll let someone else with more in depth knowledge help you on this one. I looked at the owners manual and the tech manual for the 4230 and didn't see anything specifically addressing the load while in BTL or 2 channel mode.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you out, good luck.

I can't see where you would have any issues with that setup. The speakers aren't a difficult load and the amp is "old school" from back in the day when speakers were often worse.

Enjoy.

Ok, then I'll get them :) thanks!

Just wondering if you ever got these speakers and what you think of them.

Mine are powered by a 50 wpc NAD c720 bee. They sound good to me.

Just wondering what your thoughts are?

They take a while to break in. Maybe you're still doing that.

Any usual amps will work.

Excellent speakers for the money BTW.

Diamond 121 a little better but the 10.1 look better :smoke:

Nah, tomorrow night a friend is going to get them for me and ship them here. They're used so they don't need any break in :)
Still have to wait a week or two until I have them :)
They were 80 euro. Guess it's ok price.

Nah, tomorrow night a friend is going to get them for me and ship them here. They're used so they don't need any break in :)
Still have to wait a week or two until I have them :)
They were 80 euro. Guess it's ok price.

You got a great deal. Please report back and tell us what your impressions are. I really like mine.

Back
Top Bottom