What is your favorite KLH speaker? Not BPC

drspiff

Fisher "T" Aficionado
I have a pair of KLH 17s and KLH 6s and love the sounds these items put out. I'm thinking of another pair of KLH speakers. (just because) They can be powered by anything from a Sherwood S-7100A to a Sansui G-8000. So power is not the concern.

If you could have any pair of (old school) KLH speakers...

What would you like to have?

Last edited:
For me it's a toss up between the Model Five and Model Twenty-Three. I definitely like the Twenty-Three more than the Six (in the literature that came with the Twenty-Three they are called KLH's best 2 way and I agree with that). Fives are my favorite KLH 3 way system (never heard the Twelves though).

BPC = Black Plastic Crap

Typically any company that once made good gear in the USA like KLH, Fisher, Sherwood, etc. has sold the name to Far Eastern interests which made stuff out of Black Plastic. There is always a dividing line between the before and after. I refer to the after as BPC

Of their normal dynamic loudspeakers, the best to my ears was the Five.

It'd be really nice to have a pair of the electrostatic KLH Model Nines in good working order, though.

KLH... what-cha-call-its.?

I have a pair of KLH "surround sound" speakers..I can't find the exact model number or designation though.

They are wall mounted, above head level while seated, and have served well for years now. Often I am surprised by their durability and fullness of volume.
I do have a Kenwood behind them, not nearly pushing any real "P" :scratch2:.

I lost the surround sound use due to a KLH receiver breakdown and now use the speakers for what I call "cross-stereo". This is.. the rear speakers are the reverse channel set-up of the front speakers... all driven by the same channel.

It actually sounds good.. :yes:? Almost similar to the spatial enhancement given by DRXs.

I suppose I will go back to actual "surround sound" 5.1 or the like... But these speakers give me all the pleasure I look for when viewing a good movie or the like.

Guess what works.... :thmbsp:...works!

BPC = Black Plastic Crap

Typically any company that once made good gear in the USA like KLH, Fisher, Sherwood, etc. has sold the name to Far Eastern interests which made stuff out of Black Plastic. There is always a dividing line between the before and after. I refer to the after as BPC

BPC was often preceded by SFESSC (silver faced early solid state crap).

IMO the best KLH was the Nine. Hands down, as guys like to say around here as though it settles something.

I own the 23, 6(2 pairs) and 5. 23 is my favorite, but 6 is neck and neck. I like the 5's a lot, but you don't have as much flexibility amp wise as they really require AR 3 type power(well, at least 50-60 watts) to open up and show their full glory.

In addition to the Nine, I hear the 12 is something special too. Hope to hear them both one day.

Anybody know about an older set of KLH Legend 1500 speakers? I know where there is a set for 30 bucks.

BillWojo

I guess they would be the only pair of KLHs I own/ever owned; 3-way Model 363.
They are old-skool-looking "utility cabinets" as they say in Advent-land with wood-grain vinyl skins instead of real wood veneers, but at least they are not BPC. Used and in outstanding shape off the original owner - so no complaints from me.

Model Nine
Model One with JansZen Array
Model Twelve
Model One with KLH array
Model Five
Model Seven
Model Twentythree

In that order

klh

Hey
I run my klh 5/6 with a sherwood s7900a . And my 23 with heathkit ua-1. 17 Im using
a fisher 125 all in one that came as a package deal. 20+ well you know it's all together. I haven't been exposed to the more exotic klh speakers listed above. I'm jealous maybe someday.
Sherwood and klh seem to play together very well. Just my .02 Eric

Anyone else have any favorite KLH models??

I've never had a pair but I have always been interested in KLH. Thanks.

Rather rare, but I'd love to have a pair of Model Twenty-Eights. See pic in center of brochure.

Attachments

• KLH_brochure.jpg
    KLH_brochure.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 79
My friend has a KLH with a 15" woofer in the 90s but it totally sucked. It has as much bass as your average 8".

Back
Top Bottom