Yamaha CA-1010 question - Volume Pot

BlueRuin

Hi all, my CA-1010 has a broken Volume Pot (Balance Function) and I'm trying to track down a replacement. Short of finding somebody who is parting out a CA-1010, I don't think I'm going to have much luck. I could disable the Balance function but I'd prefer not to.

Does anyone know if this part was common to any of the other models in the CA-X10 series?

Ie. would I be able to substitute a pot from a CA-810, 610 etc?

I've done a lot of reading (on here and thru Service Manuals) in an attempt to find the answer but haven't been able to do so. The only thing I have ascertained is that the CA-2010 is a different pot (Alps ?).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.....

Is the pot really "broken" or does it just need good cleaning or reflowing of the solder connections?

Unfortunately it's really "broken".

I purchased it a while back with one channel working intermittently. It's taken me a while to finally get around to having a good look at. I was hoping that a good clean and a possible reflowing of solder on some broken tracks might remedy things but no luck.

When I was removing the volume knob and balance knob I noticed that the copper sleeve that fits over the volume shaft was very loose. On closer inspection I can see that the end of the copper sleeve, that is supposed to sit inside the pot is sheared off. I'll try and get a pic to better illustrate.

I am presuming a previous owner didn't use an Allen key to loosen the screws on the balance knob behind the faceplate and got heavy handed with it in an attempt to remove it. In doing so I reckon they've probably pulled the copper sleeve off and been equally as heavy handed trying to slide it back on resulting in the damage....

CA-1010s are pretty rare down here in Australia and there is next to no chance of finding a parts unit or someone with this part. I was hoping that maybe the same pot was used on the CA-810/710/610 or CA-1000/800 as they are a lot more common down here.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom