Yamaha CR 620 Mystery

Reflowed that leg and no more sizzling
but still stuck in tuner and no lights but the relay does click now with the power button
There did appear to be something connecting the solder connections between that one and the middle one which I removed

switch the test leads around.If it reads the same thing that diode is bad.

Zener diodes will not check like a normal diode with your meter.It requires a hi-impedance meter.

BTW --Diodes are polarized.That diode should have a dark band on one end.That indicates the cathode .

When I switched the leads it read zero and this time it read 16 before switching leads

Its alive
Played a CD through the aux and it sounded fine and tuner works the stereo light even came on
If Avionic can walk me through this He can help anybody
Now about those lights

Only the shadow knows....... and me. Sounds like a bad solder connection on TR802.

Pretty sure that was it
When I touched the solder connection with the probe of the meter it sizzled and I could even see little blue mini lightning around it and the relay clicked
It did that several times so I heated up the solder and comes on every time
Without you two guys I couldnt have done it
Deox the pots and new bulbs from Dave and good as new
Thanks again

It did a pretty serious sizzle again in the same place so the problem was a bridge
Scared the ><?_&^% out of me

If theres a badly carboned up solder pad. You need to scratch away all traces of carbon. Its conductive..
Post a photo of the area of concern.:thmbsp:

When I was taking pictures that were rubbish I looked at the solder connection under magnification and the seemed to be very nearly touching so I took an exacto blade upside down and gently cleaned out between the two solder connections
Then I noticed what looked like a crack in the solder connection so I resoldered it
Should be good to go
I added solder not just reflow

Just replaced all 4 bulbs and now she will look as good as she sounds
Ran all day yesterday without a hitch
But did grab the soldering iron on the wrong end

...But did grab the soldering iron on the wrong end

I did that twice a month apart a few years ago, stupidly not looking away from my work when I picked the thing up. Left a half-circle divit in my thumb and pointer that took forever to go away. And hurt like hell! You'd think I'd have learned the first time. But no! (Now I mostly use one of those jobs that only heats with the trigger and is mostly shielded except for the tip. And I *look* before I pick the damned thing up. :yes:

The payoff
Listening to Steely Dan Greatest hits on the Yammie using a Pioneer table with an Empire cart and a new belt and my little Infinity test speakers
I saved the table and with yalls help the CR 620
Man this rig sounds good

Back
Top Bottom