Yamaha CR-2040 Lamp Options

smatchymo

Hi all,

I recently replaced the bulbs on my Yamaha CR-2040, and even though I have never tinkered with electronics before, I was able to do so successfully thanks to old threads from this forum. After I opened it up though, I found out a few of the bulbs for the FM dial had already been replaced with a different type of bulb. Two bulbs without plastic sockets had been soldered into place on the lamp board. I decided to replace the two that weren't soldered, but the replacements were incredibly dim compared to the soldered ones. I decided to put the originals back, but the filament had broken on one. I ended up de-soldering the two bulbs and installing the 4 replacements I had bought.

After I was done, I noticed that the two--what I believed to be original--lamps were different from each other. I don't have precise tools for measuring these, but one appeared to be 7 mm and the other 6 mm. The plastic ridges that fasten them to the board are also different. In the first picture, the one on the left has a lowercase "r" type shape, and the middle one has a vertical ridge and a horizontal block shaped ridge that do not join together. The replacement bulbs I had gotten from ebay had grey plastic sockets with the "r" shaped ridge and measure to 5 mm. The third picture shows the smaller 6 mm white socket bulb next to an even smaller grey socket bulb. The soldered bulbs seem to be the same size as the larger of the two white socketed bulbs, 7 mm. I included a picture of the green condoms as well. They are lined up so that the original condoms alternate with the replacement condoms. It's easy to see the approximate 2 mm difference.

In the end my replacement bulbs feel a bit dim compared to what I had, but I can't go back because of the broken filament. Here are the questions that I have:

Does anyone know if the modern replacement bulbs from ebay are smaller than the orignals that came with this receiver? Or is it possible one or both of the white socketed bulbs are replacements as well?

Does anyone know of a place to get larger socketed bulbs, or ones like those that had been soldered onto the board? I had contacted dgwojo before going to ebay and he mentioned his lights were 4.12 mm. I imagine those are the same size as the ebay ones that I measured to be 5 mm.

I know absolutely nothing about electronics, so if there's anything I should watch out for when swapping with alternative LED's please let me know.

Thanks!
Brian

Attachments

• originals2.jpg
    originals2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 41
  • white on white.jpg
    white on white.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 27
  • white on grey.jpg
    white on grey.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 35
  • green condoms.jpg
    green condoms.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
In case anyone's interested, here are a couple pics showing the difference in the color of the condoms as well. Both pics are with the ebay replacement bulbs, but the second is with the larger condoms from the bulbs I had replaced.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 52
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom