Yamaha R-N500 impressions?

sely

I am seriously considering purchasing the new Yamaha R-N500 network receiver and have found very few reviews online on which to base my decision, so though this might be a good place to ask. Anyone had experience with it?

I will be using it with PSB Alpha B1 speakers and PSB Subseries 1 sub, and really like the digital inputs for my cable box and Apple TV as well as the phono input. The Airplay, internet radio, and Spotify Connect features are very nice as well. The question is, how does it sound? I currently run a modified Nakamichi TA-2A receiver which i love, but i think this could potentially be an upgrade and like the all-in-oneness of it. If anyone has impressions I would love to hear them!

I am seriously considering purchasing the new Yamaha R-N500 network receiver and have found very few reviews online on which to base my decision, so though this might be a good place to ask. Anyone had experience with it?

I will be using it with PSB Alpha B1 speakers and PSB Subseries 1 sub, and really like the digital inputs for my cable box and Apple TV as well as the phono input. The Airplay, internet radio, and Spotify Connect features are very nice as well. The question is, how does it sound? I currently run a modified Nakamichi TA-2A receiver which i love, but i think this could potentially be an upgrade and like the all-in-oneness of it. If anyone has impressions I would love to hear them!

Welcome to the AK forum!

Are you sure about the presence of the "phono input" ? :scratch2:

Yes, the receiver includes a phono input and grounding post. Im still searching but haven't found many more reviews...hoping some people get these for xmas and will share their thoughts!

I've seen some pretty good deals so i might end up snagging one and seeing for myself. I'll be sure to share my thoughts!

Not trying to hijack, but it would be nice if Yamaha could come out with a stand-alone network player that would come in under the $600 mark and match-up with their A-S700 amp/CD-S700 CD player.

I was thinking about purchasing their CD-N500 unit, but it's not yelling my name since I'm not too crazy about the overall quality of the CD unit. With that said, I think that the R-N500 is a winner and a far better concept than their CD-N500... IMHO.

P.S., it would be nice if Yamaha would offer the silver finish model to the North American market, as well as replacing the plastic "butterfly" knobs with their alloy version... I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for these "upgraded" features.

I found an auction for an open box R-N500 and purchased it for $440 shipped (nice discount from the $549 retail tag). The receiver arrived Thursday and I have been enjoying it since.

I first upgraded the firmware which was very easy after attaching an ethernet cable. I connected my cable box and Apple TV to the two optical inputs and my turntable to the phono input. My first impression was a great improvement in bass response using the subwoofer output vs. running the B speaker outputs to my sub with my old receiver (an unfortunate necessity). Sound so far is excellent and i expect the sound to continue to improve with additional burn-in time.

Features are too numerous to name, but i really enjoy the AirPlay feature (more convenient to stream directly to the receiver than through my AppleTV) and vTuner internet radio. vTuner bookmarks can be set up through the website after inputting the receiver's MAC address, which i find to be a very nice feature. I don't use Pandora, but look forward to setting up Spotify Connect through the Yamaha when the feature is added in a future firmware release. I have been using the Pure Direct feature for all listening and it sounds great, although i can't really hear a difference whether it is on or off. I just like the idea of the simplified signal path, and the dark display gives the receiver a nice minimal, monolithic look as well!

My only initial complaint was with the phono input during my first listen (reference album was Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe). However, every album since has sounded great with improved bass response so perhaps it was my own ear that was off. I am anxious to see if the phono amp will continue to improve with use, and may try another discrete phono pre for comparison. Let me state, however, that after listening to vinyl for several hours my overall impression is that the phono input is very respectable.

I hope to hear impressions from other users of this receiver, and if anyone has any questions please ask! I would love to keep the discussion going! :music:

Ahh, thanks! Just the kind of review that I was looking for.

Mind if I ask what you are using for speakers, and what your old receiver was (to know what you are comparing it to)?

I continue to find this a compelling unit. I've also got my eye on the NAD D7050, but this seems to line up fairly well with that receiver at half the price.

Let us hope that the impressions keep coming!

I found an auction for an open box R-N500 and purchased it for $440 shipped (nice discount from the $549 retail tag). The receiver arrived Thursday and I have been enjoying it since.

I first upgraded the firmware which was very easy after attaching an ethernet cable. I connected my cable box and Apple TV to the two optical inputs and my turntable to the phono input. My first impression was a great improvement in bass response using the subwoofer output vs. running the B speaker outputs to my sub with my old receiver (an unfortunate necessity). Sound so far is excellent and i expect the sound to continue to improve with additional burn-in time.

Features are too numerous to name, but i really enjoy the AirPlay feature (more convenient to stream directly to the receiver than through my AppleTV) and vTuner internet radio. vTuner bookmarks can be set up through the website after inputting the receiver's MAC address, which i find to be a very nice feature. I don't use Pandora, but look forward to setting up Spotify Connect through the Yamaha when the feature is added in a future firmware release. I have been using the Pure Direct feature for all listening and it sounds great, although i can't really hear a difference whether it is on or off. I just like the idea of the simplified signal path, and the dark display gives the receiver a nice minimal, monolithic look as well!

My only initial complaint was with the phono input during my first listen (reference album was Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe). However, every album since has sounded great with improved bass response so perhaps it was my own ear that was off. I am anxious to see if the phono amp will continue to improve with use, and may try another discrete phono pre for comparison. Let me state, however, that after listening to vinyl for several hours my overall impression is that the phono input is very respectable.

I hope to hear impressions from other users of this receiver, and if anyone has any questions please ask! I would love to keep the discussion going! :music:

I am using PSB Alpha B1 speakers with a PSB Subseries One sub. My old receiver was a modified Nakamichi TA-2A. It is a great sounding receiver with a nice rebuilt phono section, but the Yamaha just has too many features that make it ideal for my current setup (alongside cable TV, Apple TV, phono, sub out, etc.). Definitely hanging onto the Nak for basement setup though!

I have the Yamha A-S500 coupled to a Grace WI-Fi internet receiver and Sony HD AM/FM tuner. When I recently discovered the R-N500, it really caught my eye. Having all those features in a single unit is very nice. I downloaded the owners manual and really went through it. It is a high current capable 80watt/channel unit with low distortion, has a phono input, sub woofer out, and has almost everything except wi/Fi. It used an eithernet jack for Internet use, but does have jacks for an accessory wi/fi receiver for an extra $100. While I am totally happy with the setup I currently have, if I need to economize on space in the future, the R-N500 would be the choice for me.

I just ordered one of these for my son as part of a graduation present. It is going to be paired with Wharfdale 10.2 speakers. I will let you all know how it works out. I have been listening to the speakers today through an old Kenwood receiver of mine and they are very nice. I should have the receiver on Monday.

I just ordered one of these for my son as part of a graduation present. It is going to be paired with Wharfdale 10.2 speakers. I will let you all know how it works out. I have been listening to the speakers today through an old Kenwood receiver of mine and they are very nice. I should have the receiver on Monday.

And..... ???

...Yes, what do you think of it?

I am helping my 87 year old uncle tomorrow with a replacement for an older Yamaha receiver that gave up the ghost and he didn't want to repair it but rather wanted to buy something new with warranty.

The store we are going to really likes this unit and said Uncle G. would be very pleased.
On hold for us. I hope it holds up to its claims!!

Great graduation present by the way!!

I just got back to this thread and have to say the Yamaha is very nice teamed up with those Wharfdale speakers. I only listened to the system for 4 or 5 hours while it was here but everything sounded very nice. It is now back in South Bend, my son got an audio rack from Best Buy and has it set up with my old Pioneer turntable and is listening to a little vinyl. I bought the Yamaha for him because of all the modern features plus it had a phono section. He has lots and lots of music on his computer, I phone and I pad. I just hope he enjoys music for as many years as I have. He was listening to the Allman Brothers live at Fillmore East on vinyl this afternoon when he called.

Picked this up for my uncle as stated - got it home....hooked it up for him and started playing.....tuner, cd, cassette (yes he still plays them!), record.

Initial impressions are good - well built, nice feel from the controls, logical setup and easy to use.

I only heard music for about an hour but first impressions were good. My uncle has a doctorate in music and taught voice, choir, orchestra and choral conducting and he has an incredible ear - he was very pleased. Degrees better then the RX-V1500 he replaced.

As long as he's happy!!

Left his house with BTO playing - his nephew played keys for them and sang back-up.

Me, too -- with a NAS

So far this is on my soon-to-buy list, too. I would like to use my iPhone and/or my wife's Nook tablet to stream my music files through the receiver. My files are saved on a NAS drive plugged into the router -- WAV files and MP3/4 files. What is the best way to do this when using the Yamaha?

So far this is on my soon-to-buy list, too. I would like to use my iPhone and/or my wife's Nook tablet to stream my music files through the receiver. My files are saved on a NAS drive plugged into the router -- WAV files and MP3/4 files. What is the best way to do this when using the Yamaha?

Welcome to AK!!!
What are you asking?

This unit is a fully capable network receiver - it can handle Apple products, android too. So I believe your wife's NOOK tablet will also work. Using your router and an ethernet cable you'll be good to go I believe.

Here are the File Format it can access - MP3, WMA, MPEG4, AAC, WAV, FLAC.

You likely have this already but - http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/r-n500_u/?mode=model

The guys where you purchase this unit should be able to walk you through everything you need to know. I didn't have our guy do that to any great extent simply because my uncle will never take advantage of the network capabilities of this unit.

Others here will also likely be much more knowledgeable then I am and lend a better hand :yes:

Yamaha RN500

I purchased a Yamaha RN500 receiver in spite of not being able to locate any independent reviews based on actual listening. Still can't find any! It was a punt on Yamaha's musical reputation - but all good.
I wanted to get out of the ""home theatre" scene both because of a home downsizing and a wish to re-focus on music reproduction, ie stereo. At first I was going to keep my 5 channel Nakamichi AV10, (like it had cost me a ton), and just keep my excellent Sonus Faber front speakers. But then I thought, why? Big heavy box, runs hot, good but compromised stereo, no internet, no wireless connection with computer, IPhone or Pad. Yesterday's technology.
The RN500 seemed to tick all the boxes and it has turned out to be a real performer. Stereo from CD 's has unbelievable presence, it blows me and fellow audiophiles away with a rich but powerfully clear sound. It makes the expensive Nakamichi seem very ordinary. Excellent local FM radio sound (eg ABC Classic FM 105.9) and the internet is very good.
The Receiver/Tuner/Internet/Wireless (etc, etc) connectivity capabilities are all I hoped for. (Like, who needs crappy DAB?!). And all sourced via a free, and easy to use, IPad/smart phone app. You can do it on the remote, but its clunky and not much fun. The manual is good, just wish I had done set up with the Pad & App. I have seen posts knocking a perceived need for an Ethernet hard wire connection from computer or modem. Uh?! I just plugged it into my house network via the room's existing Mac wireless extender, which is called an Airport Express. I had this altready to boost my town house wireless coverage. I found the set up a bit complicated, as older folk do, and the "V Tuner" computer setting of "favourites" a new concept, but once understood, easy to use and accessing worldwide stations (and other input sources) from the IPad a real breeze. One important tip, for the best sound, connect source inputs such as CD player, TV and Blue Ray via the co-ax and optical options for best lossless sound, not the defaults which are RCA.
Being an early adopter, in an overpriced Australin market, I probably paid too much, but at less than a third the cost of its prestigious Nakamichi predecessor it's worth it. Love it!

I had one in my listening room (actually my basement office) for almost 2 weeks. I was looking for a solid-state amp to use in place of my tube amps (3 different ones that I alternate) as I get too many interruptions during a typical working day (virtual meetings etc) to justify expensive KT88 / KT66 / EL34 etc etc "burning up" idling away while I'm on the phone.

Suffice to say that the R-N500 sounded so good that it pretty much destroyed my bias against "sand amps". Only reason why I replaced it with an A-S700 was that I got myself into the deadly spiral of "If it sounds this good, how much better would a more expensive model in the same line sound?".

FWIW, it was driving a pair of Mission MX3s and using a Cambridge Audio Azur 651c CD player + a Yamaha CDC-585 CD changer coupled to a DacMagic Plus (the new version). The sound was VERY detailed, beautiful highs (I listen to Classical and Jazz most of the time).

I was at Notre Dame for graduation this past weekend and there was a party at my son's apartment on Saturday night. After several beers and a couple of shots of Knob Creek I put the Doors "LA Woman" on the turntable and cranked up the volume on that Yamaha receiver. Wow, I was really surprised how good it sounded with the Wharfdale speakers. Bass was very tight and full, especially for a smaller speaker, highs and mids were detailed and the overall sound was much bigger than I expected. I truly think the Yamaha receiver and those speakers are a good match.

Back
Top Bottom