Consonance Ref50 MKII tube pre amp

cbn700

Hi,

has any one used one of these pre amps? I am thinking of getting one, and want to know what the thoughts are on them. It will be paired with a MP501 amp. thanks:music:

This is a very nice preamp! There's a couple reviews on it on the GF site. "Eric" who I've met, absolutely swears by it. I almost went for it myself but opted for the Shengya CS-6 instead. I can testify to the general quality of the Opera gear as I own quite a bit of it.

I am thinking of trying to see if they have one as a demo to hear. The other pre amp I was thinking about is the consonance cyber 222. I really don't know what the difference would be. They are both priced the same. I did read the review and "Eric" seams to really enjoy it. What are some things that I could expect with a pre amp? Better soundstage? better separation between the instruments?

Last edited:
funny you mention the 222. I have one at my house now that I'm auditioning. I haven't really given it a lot of time as I've been busy, but I did compare it to my Shuguang S200MK, and it did perform much better. Wider soundstage, but the depth about the same. With the short amount of time I've spent with it, I think it the 222 is very nice.

Well as you spend more time listening to it, and the tubes break in, let me know what you think of it.

chuck

I'll give it more of a listen this week. GF's demo clearance/obo sale is on this coming weekend, may be a good time to save some coin on it. :thmbsp:

Yes I saw the add for that, was thinking of going down on Friday to see if they have one of these on demo they will be blowing out. Glad I am off on Friday

They have both, the Ref.50, and the Cyber222. I was there last weekend and saw them both there.

Well, I played with the 222 some more last night to get a little more familiar with it. I came to the conclusion that it is an improvement over the S200MK II. By how much is debatable. The detail in violins were a little cleaner and crisper. Bass a little tighter, and mids about the same. Now whether that's because of the tubes, I'm not sure. My S200MK is still using the stock Chinese tubes while the 222 has Russian tubes installed, at least in the demo unit I'm referring to. Considering I've been listening to the very highly acclaimed Shengya CS-6 pre all week, I was pleasantly surprised at how the Cyber222 sounded.
I think it's a good buy in it's price range. Whether it's better than the Reference 50 that you were contemplating, I don't know. I do know I'm very happy with my Ref. 40 phono stage, but then, I've liked the whole Ref. series since I first saw it. It's very nicely finished and quite elegant in appearance.

I am thinking of trying to see if they have one as a demo to hear. The other pre amp I was thinking about is the consonance cyber 222. I really don't know what the difference would be. They are both priced the same. I did read the review and "Eric" seams to really enjoy it. What are some things that I could expect with a pre amp? Better soundstage? better separation between the instruments?

I'm partial to the Cyber 222. It matches my Cyber 211 monoblocks and with a quad of Sylvania 6SN7's or Shuguang Black Treasure CV-181's its a killer preamp. :music:

Wb

Wolfbane , which tubes are in your 222?

Currently a matched quad of early 1950's 6SN7 Sylvania's. I'm running a matched pair of RCA VT-4-B's circa 1927 in the 211 amps.

WRT the 222; I'd run a quad of the Shuguang Treasure CV-181's except for the fact that the WAF of having to remove the top of the preamp to run them is very low.

Wb

would they not fit if you removed the aluminum ring from the deck plate under the plexiglass panel. Rachel mentioned something about that, so when I took the lid off, I removed the ring and thought there might just be enough room without the ring? I kind of thought the ring may cause a vibration issue anyway. If they still won't fit, enlarging the hole wouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom