CR-2040 problems Hum than dead unit

BobHol

Old fart
Bought a CR-2040 Yamaha Receiver off of a local stereo enthusiast. It sounded fine, I decided to adjust it since their were such good instructions here on AK. Couldn't find any plastic screw drivers so I carved up a couple of primitive ones.
Bought a pair of mini-clips for my meter. Started with the +60 voltage. It was at 61. Bumped it down to 59.9. Offset was 100 on the left 25 on the right. The trim pots for offset were very hard to adjust, so I was content to get both sides to around 20. The bias was a little easier ended close to 10mv which is what the spec called for.
No sparks or smoke and the receiver sounded good.
After about a week of daily usage I turn it on and after the relay clicked I could hear a hum. But everything still worked. Pull the cover. Offset and bias ok. +60 voltage is at 81!. And the trim pot has no effect on it. Turn it off and dig into AK. Find other hum threads and it appears that I probably have some AC mixed up with the +60V DC. At this point I am at my electrical limit as far as skills.
While looking through threads I found a suggestion of checking fuses.
Turn off the power and muscle out two 3amp 250 volt fuses near the front ,
They look OK and will pass current so I put them back.
I push the power button and NOTHING happens. No lights no clicks no hum, absolutely no response. I find a 10amp 250 volt fuse on the back panel. It passes current so I am stumped. I will replace the fuses tomorrow, that I can do. But it don't look good from my point of view. I'd be happy to get it to power up and hum.
Any guesses as to what might have happened?

Thanks

Well if the 2040 is like most I've seen. The power supply caps are most likely worn out. Also lots of loose solder connections. Especially the regulated power supply "pass" transisitor solder connections.

There is a real good schematic in this manual.
http://www.hifiengine.com/library/yamaha/cr-2040.shtml
Look at the G - 2/3 grid of the schematic. Its the regulated +/- 60 vdc. power supply.
Check your solder connections for transistors TR904 and 905.(pass transistors) They will have small aluminum heat sinks fastened to them. Yes, when operating they will run hot. Hence the heat sinks.

Last edited:
Replaced all three internal fuses and the unit comes back to life. Still with the hum of course. Thanks for the advise Avionic I will clean and re-tin my trusty solder iron.

Back
Top Bottom