Scrubbing Bubbles Results

Ilikevinyl

Cool Breeze
Subscriber
Cleaned some dirty records that I've recently bought with Scrubbing Bubbles, that someone suggested. My first record I'm listening to is The Beatles 1962-1966 on Apple. I bought it for $1! Nobody wanted it because it looked bad. Washed it with the Scrubbing Bubbles, and now it sounds amazingly good!! I don't hear any surface noise, just groove damage (light scratches) from the previous owner! The Scrubbing Bubbles definitely works!!

I rinsed and scrubbed the record first with distilled water, with an old Spin Clean brush. Then sprayed the scrubbing bubbles in two places on the record, you have to watch out it really expands. Used another old brush from my Spin Clean to scrub and work in the scrubbing bubbles. Let it sit for 2 minutes, then did the other side right away. Rinsed it all off in the sink. Then, put it through my Spin Clean, with distilled water only in it. The water in the Spin Clean was clear even after a dozen dirty albums that was cleaned with the scrubbing bubbles. That tells you it really cleans them. Dried it completely with cloth baby diapers, placed it in an old wire record rack overnight.

I'm sold on using Scrubbing Bubbles for dirty records! Thanks for the tip! :thmbsp:

Now back to listening. :music:

Fascinating. I've read another thread either here or on another site and someone said it really worked for them. I don't know what ingredients are in Scrubbing Bubbles, but I just got a used copy of Herb Alpert and the TJB Whipped Cream and I think I'll give it a try.

Fascinating. I've read another thread either here or on another site and someone said it really worked for them. I don't know what ingredients are in Scrubbing Bubbles, but I just got a used copy of Herb Alpert and the TJB Whipped Cream and I think I'll give it a try.

There's a thread about the Scrubbing Bubbles here on AK. That's where I got the info about it.

Yes, tell us how you like the results. :yes: Make sure you use distilled water for the final rinse, before drying.

ok.. i'm going to have to try this. Did you protect the label in any way?

I used a plastic disc insert that's from my Harman Kardon T55C platter mat. It protected the label somewhat, a little bit of water got underneath but didn't stain the labels. When I rinsed them in the sink, I was very careful. The water only went into the ending dead-wax area while I was holding them.

Just to clarify things is this what you used

Attachments

• d95184b1-c12d-41d8-8d3c-bf1b349b7777_400.jpg
    d95184b1-c12d-41d8-8d3c-bf1b349b7777_400.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 272
Just to clarify things is this what you used

No, that's the lemon scented one. I used the regular formula in the green can. Bought it at Walmart, they have a 2 pack for $4.98!

ScrubbingBubblesGraphicsFairyDIY.jpg

No, that's the lemon scented one. I used the regular formula in the green can. Bought it at Walmart, they have a 2 pack for $4.98!

ScrubbingBubblesGraphicsFairyDIY.jpg

Hey Steve,

Will it disinfect and get rid of the mold and mildew smell of Thrift Store records? :D

Cheers, Bob

Get the basic stuff, no blue label extra foam, additive, scented or otherwise.....just basic.
I use the dollar store brand, rinses cleaner in my experience. 2-3 minutes then a good rinse with an extra soft sponge. Has worked wonders

I posted in another thread some time ago my version of a DIY label protector.
No good for submersion, but it works great keeping the label dry when cleaning and rinsing.
It's all common stuff you can pick up at any Home Center plumbing & hardware departments.
The idea of the Scrubbing Bubbles looks interesting.
I believe I'll give it a try!

Attachments

• IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1145.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Hey Steve,

Will it disinfect and get rid of the mold and mildew smell of Thrift Store records? :D

Cheers, Bob

Hey Bob,

Yes it does! An album I cleaned had a bit of mold on it. The Scrubbing Bubbles took off the mold and gave it a clean smell! :yes: Played fine after the cleaning.

jmchrislip said:
I don't know what ingredients are in Scrubbing Bubbles, but ... I think I'll give it a try.
It's good stuff. Four active ingredients are given. The first-listed one is better known as benzalkonium chloride, which you may know from contact-lens solutions or alcohol-free foaming hand sanitizer.

The others are chemical relatives chosen for their surfactant and/or biocidal properties. They can also make scads of foam.

I posted in another thread some time ago my version of a DIY label protector.
No good for submersion, but it works great keeping the label dry when cleaning and rinsing.
It's all common stuff you can pick up at any Home Center plumbing & hardware departments.
The idea of the Scrubbing Bubbles looks interesting.
I believe I'll give it a try!

Johnny,
Do you mind taking a moment and running down that brief parts list for the label protector thingy? Many thanks!

This definitely sounds interesting. Gonna have to check it out!

Besides, I like Paul Winchell!

(He once did the Scrubbing Bubbles voices on the commercials...)

How wet is the record surface after using Scrubbing Bubbles? Could it be used with an RCM - spray on Scrubbing Bubbles, vacuum, distilled water rinse and vac again? Or would you have to literally rinse in the sink?

Thanks.

For grungy thrift story LPs

I use a pair those orange dent pullers to protect the labels and for easy handling of LP

Wet (wash off) under tap with lukewarm city water... drizzle a little Dawn dishwashing detergent w/Active Suds on one side then brush good in a circular motion - I use a boar's hair brush. Rinse and repeat on side two

Then Vac while wet - 2nd rinse with aquafina bottled water / vac

Back
Top Bottom