Onkyo finally admits problems with AVR's and offers customer care program

Dillio

as an owner of an RC270, this is welcome news (finally). My receiver qualifies and I am having it repaired, when it returns I will probably sell it as I've already purchased a vintage Fisher stereo unit to replace it. I'll update this thread if the return box and what not actually shows up, and what happens to my receiver.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php#

I have been lucky with my 2nd Onkyo TX-NR709, the first one I had DC'ed my much cherished Warfedale W-35's.

yikes :( Mine just won't output audio, sometimes the inputs switch randomly and the whole thing locks up.

I purchased my Onkyo from Crutchfield when I returned the first one the person at Crutchfield told they had had a lot issues with Onkyo AVR 's mostly the HDMI boards but the last of the TX-NR709's, and 809 's where OK which what I received in the end.

They cannot admit their guilt in video processor board failures - it would require to recall half of units made in the last 6-7 years. This will be a death sentence for the brand.

They cannot admit their guilt in video processor board failures - it would require to recall half of units made in the last 6-7 years. This will be a death sentence for the brand.

What I could never understand is the problem was related to bogus capacitors on the HDMI board you can go to Youtube and there are videos showing which cap's are bad and what to replace them with. The fix is not hard so why didn't Onkyo at least chance cap's brands during production. I have not had any trouble with this on My NR709 if it ever rears it's head that is the end for Onkyo I'll go to something like a Denon.

Last edited:
Onkyo TX-8050

Had this receiver almost 2 years and no issues. Just clean sounding music. :thmbsp:

mine worked fine for 3+, then I came home one day to see the receiver turned itself on, and that was the beginning of the end.

I have had no Issues with mine I am so pleased with this NR709 and I think I will be OK. But given what happened to the first one there is that tiny doubt.

well, the box showed up while I was gone over the weekend, and the RC270 is packed up and on it's way back. It's on you now, Onkyo.

well, the box showed up while I was gone over the weekend, and the RC270 is packed up and on it's way back. It's on you now, Onkyo.

Let it us know how it goes. Customer service is an important part of ownership if it sucks then perhaps next time Onkyo will get over looked.

My TX SR 805 is still dead. Worse yet, I have put it in storage (far beyond easy access ahead of an upcoming move) and the receiver cant accept a firmware update even with the thing one of those guys on the avr forum had made.
Anyway hope they do it to the 805 too.
Cool.
Srinath.

What I could never understand is the problem was related to bogus capacitors on the HDMI board you can go to Youtube and there are videos showing which cap's are bad and what to replace them with. The fix is not hard so why didn't Onkyo at least chance cap's brands during production. I have not had any trouble with this on My NR709 if it ever rears it's head that is the end for Onkyo I'll go to something like a Denon.

They are having more than one issue with the board.
The capacitor change is only related to one of them. The larger issue is the one where there is no sound and grayed out menus.
In order to repair that (and do it right) a bga chip needs to be removed and re-soldered. That's not an easy task even with the right equipment.
So they don't mess with it and replace the board.

Really? I got a TX NR906 with no sound, no picture at all from HDMI sources, so I couldn't even tell if there was greyed out areas on the OSD. I tried the capacitor fix x 2. 13 of the 4V caps and then soldering 6 smaller caps across regulators. The 906 now is flawless, locking onto HDMI signals like a champ. Not sure about this other chip, but I'm grinning ear to ear because I got the 906 for free.

Yes it was crappy cap's on the HDMI board that caused all of the problems. You made out these are really great AVR's except for the HDMI issue. :thmbsp:

Yeah, the amp section is really sweet, I actually took my Outlaw amp out of the system, a 7125.

I assume your Onkyo has the "Pure Audio" mode, have you tried that yet? in that mode it turns the Onkyo into a integrated stereo amp, everything that is not associated with the front Right and Left channels are shut off, HDMI board, tuner, equalizer, everything, even the display is on demand only. The big power supplies these Onkyo's have is dedicated to driving a Stereo Amp. The sound is incredible.

Yeah, I've run it in pure. A few years ago I also tried what is I think called BTL mode, where the 4 outside speaker terminals are bridged to form a 2 channel amp. It was with my 876, so I was getting 210 wpc, really nice sound! The configuration doesn't work for my theater though as I have 7 speakers, but it was nice to experiment.

Back
Top Bottom