BBQ whole salmon: suggestions and tips?

madwing

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
tomorrow I am going to be making a whole salmon on my webber, using indirect heat. anyone have suggestions as to how to prep or marinate? I usually go for lemon and onion when I broil it, with black pepper. head's on, about 5 lbs cleaned weight.

thanks!

I leave the lemon until it's on your plate. Salt & Pepper liberally early, and let it absorb. Hours before is good. The salt firms it up without drying it out. Onion always good. I smear mustard on fillets, or inside if whole fish - for moisture. It does not effect taste as much as you'd think. Sometimes mayo or just butter is good too. Doing whole salmon (in tin foil?) I would aim for cooking then add accent (lemon) when it's on your plate. Enjoy.

yep:mesquite chunk charcoal and apple branch trimmings when I put it on the coals.

Never grilled whole Salmon, but filets with skin on many times. Lightly season with Old Bay, lay directly on grill skin side down, do not turn over. Grill covered over direct heat until skin becomes crunchy, flesh will be VERY moist. Remove whole filet, cut into 2.5" wide portions and eat off the skin. The skin is so crunchy many will choose to eat it too.

I lightly butter the skin side, and I fill the inside with lemon and onion slices, and two pieces of BACON, and then I tie it together. Then cook indirectly over briquets, with apple and hickory chunks added. With a strip of foil under it to catch the juice. The juice smokes too much and the smoke is not great. The hickory and apple is perfect.

sounds great, zombie. I use a foil pan beneath anything I am cooking indirectly, with 1/4" of water in it for the same reason.

we have a half acre. by next summers end we will have a brick pizza/bread/roasting oven in it, too!

First and foremost, make sure the fish is scaled completely and gutted.

Lightly brush the outside and inside cavity with olive oil. Rub the fish inside and out with halved garlic cloves. Generously rub coarse salt inside and out, almost to the point of being able to see a crust of salt. Stuff the inside with quartered lemon and onions and lots of fresh thyme and then tie with butcher's twine. You can do this hours ahead of time.

As for direct heat and indirect heat, since it's a small salmon, I personally would go direct heat in order to get a really crispy skin on both sides which should also be enough cooking time to cook to a medium-well temperature. Towards the end, make a mix of dijon mustard, olive oil, chopped fresh thyme and brush it on lightly along with some fresh cracked pepper.

Once at the table, spritz the fish with some lemons and enjoy.

here it is, stuffed and trussed. limes, onions, ginger, salt pepper, Cajun seasoning, olive oil and a touch of honey inside. I will salt it before putting it on the grill. thanks for the suggestions, all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 32
and here it is, cooked. nice and moist, and tasty as hell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 33
Looks like that turned out great. I love grilled salmon, never had a whole fish to work with!

My Grandfather used to do large Brown Trout what he called his Indian way. He would put strips of bacon inside and pack the fish in clay and place it next to a campfire. I remember my Grandfather breaking the clay and the what came out was a taste I remember to this day.

Great way to cook whole fish. Also salt encased is tasty. Whip up egg whites until frothy and peaked add a bunch of salt and encase the the fish with the mixture.

My Grandfather used to do large Brown Trout what he called his Indian way. He would put strips of bacon inside and pack the fish in clay and place it next to a campfire. I remember my Grandfather breaking the clay and the what came out was a taste I remember to this day.

The salmon looks great!
The other night, I used a thinly shaved cedar planks soaked in water. Wrapped the salmon with dill, garlic and lemon first. Most fragrant and moist sockeyes I've ever had. I want some smoked sardines now....

Back
Top Bottom