Cincinnati audio gear (and bourbon tasting) mid-Oct/Nov

I'm planning a combined day of audio fest and bourbon tasting at my house in Cincinnati in October or November. I'm trying to organize this amongst Cincy locals, audio enthusiasts on Audiokarma, and bourbon enthusiasts on StraightBourbon.

The plan would be to have an audio gear meet in the morning 9 am - 1 pm. We'd plan to have people bring gear to sell or trade. I'll have a grill available to cook lunch if you'd like to bring some food. There are also about 20 restaurants that deliver to our house if that's more convenient. (We'd plan to sit outside or in the garage if it's nice, but could also move to the basement.) We should be able to hook up and test any equipment.

At 1 pm the focus would shift to bourbon. (We'd continue to spin vinyl and shellacs [78s] throughout the evening.) We'd have a short organized tasting around a particular theme (past themes have been: Four Roses recipes, rye whiskey, Heaven Hill) - I'm open to suggestions, but I think a Buffalo Trace tasting would be fun. This would allow us to focus on how proof and age affect the bourbon. After the organized tasting, we could have a potluck meal and them an open bottle share.

Are you interested in learning more about bourbon and/or audio equipment. If so, what weekend works best? (You're obviously free to attend the morning and/or evening; please let me know what part you'd be interested in.)

Oct 3/4
Oct 17/18
Nov 21/22

We have a pool table, skee ball, and darts in our basement. We have quite a lot of glassware, but request that you bring your own if possible to make sure we have enough for the tasting.

Proposed schedule
9 am audio meet and greet/ swap
12 pm bring your own food to cook on the grill
1 pm organized tasting (BT mashbill 1/2?)
4 pm potluck dinner
530 pm open bottle share

Cheers,
Roger

No interest here? I've got a considerable amount of bourbon interest as well as a few local audio guys. Hoping to have some more people for the audio session in the morning though. No need to bring gear either - you're welcome to just hang out and chat about gear/music.

No need to be knowledgeable about bourbon to participate in that portion. We're a welcoming lot - you'll learn a lot about bourbon and have a lot of fun.

I'm a 'maybe' for the November date. My work is slammed all the way through the end of october and they can make any weekend fair game with minimal notice as of late due to overwhelming projects.

The other piece is that in theory there will be a reschedule of Kevin Masters's event that may make it so that folks are on the fence regarding multiple events in a short period of time in the same geographic general region.

I local to the Cincinnati area. Mid-October works for me. I'd enjoy meeting some folks with similar interests!

CincyMat

I know it doesn't work quite as well for people here, but the November date seems to work best overall. Hopefully a few of you can make it then. If not maybe we'll meet up at the other Ohio swap that's being rescheduled. Drop me a line if you're in Cincy and want to talk audio or bourbon.

If you're still interested in attending, please send me a PM. When the date gets closer, I'll repost here to make sure people remember and then send my address and more details via PM.

Cheers,
Roger

Just wanted to update here since we're a week and a half out from the event. No one has expressed problem with my proposed tasting (or alternatives) so we'll go forward with that. Please put your name by one of the bottles. Hoping to fill the mash bill #1 bottles then (if there are enough people) to get the mash bill #2 bottles. Feel free to bring whatever for the open bottle share later in the evening (other BT bottlings will likely be there).

Schedule:
9 am audio meet and greet/ swap
12 pm bring your own food to cook on the grill
1 pm organized tasting (BT mashbill 1/2?)
4 pm potluck dinner
530 pm open bottle share

BT mash bill #1:
BT White Dog
Benchmark
Buffalo Trace
Old Charter
Eagle Rare
Col. E.H. Taylor
Geo. T. Stagg - Roger (2010 vintage?)
Stagg Jr.

BT mash bill #2:
Ancient Age 10 yr
AAA 10 star
Elmer T. Lee
Hancock
Blanton's
Rock Hill Farms

Potluck dinner:
Roger - chicken tortilla soup, crockpot meatballs

I'll be posting this elsewhere as well. I'll try to make sure we don't have multiple people bringing the same bottle (unless there may be significant batch variation such as with Stagg - if so, make sure to list the vintage/batch).

Cheers,
Roger

BTW it'll likely be cold that weekend due to the polar vortex. We'll have audio gear in the basement most likely to avoid the cold. If no one else can make it for the audio meet/swap, several locals will at least be around to chat and listen to some good music. We've also got 4 gallons of brown ale, 4 gallons of sweet hard cider, and 4 gallons of a dry hard cider on tap (all homebrew) so it should be a good time to listen to music and hangout regardless.

Please post up some photos and tasting results for your far flung AK brothers and sisters who have an affinity for Kentucky tea. I'll cross post to that 'favorite bourbon' thread in Cooking and Spirits here at AK. :tresbon:

Please post up some photos and tasting results for your far flung AK brothers and sisters who have an affinity for Kentucky tea. I'll cross post to that 'favorite bourbon' thread in Cooking and Spirits here at AK. :tresbon:

So this event is slated for the 21st?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I'll definitely post pictures. I see that I never actually stated the date. Saturday November 22 for the tasting. PM me for an address.

Cheers,
Roger

Updated

BT mash bill #1:
BT White Dog - Scott
Benchmark
Buffalo Trace
Old Charter - Lepisto
OC10 - Joe
Eagle Rare
Col. E.H. Taylor
Geo. T. Stagg - Roger (2012 vintage)
Stagg Jr. - Joe (Batch #2)

BT mash bill #2:
Ancient Age 10 yr
AAA 10 star - Roger
Elmer T. Lee
Hancock
Blanton's
Rock Hill Farms

Not a lot of feedback on the audio front. It looks like we may just be hanging out listening to some vinyl in the morning.

On the bourbon front, looks like we should have everything for both of the Buffalo Trace mash bills to taste. For the open tasting, I'll pull out some other Buffalo Trace bottlings from their wheated bourbon line (10 year, 15 year) and their rye line (12 year). I'll also have some special wheated bourbon bottlings aged in cognac barrels from Heaven Hill.

BT mash bill #1:
BT White Dog - Scott
Benchmark - Phil
Buffalo Trace - Phil
Old Charter - Lepisto
OC10 - Joe
Eagle Rare
Col. E.H. Taylor - Terry
Geo. T. Stagg - Roger (2012 vintage)
Stagg Jr. - Joe (Batch #2)

BT mash bill #2:
Ancient Age 10 yr