CD-2 needs adjustment

YMAFIP

Hi folks,

I've got a CD-2 since my days of youth in the 80ies. It sometimes skips on long-playing CD's with many titles. Sometimes, it doesn't find the starting point of track 1.
Cleaning the lens doesn't really help.

Last week I bought a second CD-2 from eBay, in 'good condition'.
This one has a lot more problems in finding the starting point, it needs time to search and usually starts track 1 at about 00:40 seconds or so, and skipping to further tracks isn't successful. If you skip f.e. to track 2, the player starts at 2/3 of track 1.

I'd like to try some adjustment of the laser, but I can't find any service manual which helps identifying the potis.

Here are 2 photos of the interior situation:

IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_4224.jpg

There are 6 screws which allow adjusting, but no hint on the board what they're good for.

Does anybody have any experience in adjusting the laser of a CD-2?

CD2 Skippin

Hello YMAFIP

1) I don't think that any adjustment will change your trouble . Before to touch anything , you must know from where the trouble is coming .
I think that a carefull watch of behaviour during play will give you precise place where the laser ass'y do not move freely ...
2) I think that your motor disc (no more available today) is bad . Your only way to refix it is to delete and clean it carefully
3) if the trouble still continue , your tracking motor may defect too . All CD2 motor's are obsolete
4) I strongly recommend you to not touch the six "adjust part" you saw on audio board . They have nothing to do with the laser .They are in audio section ! NEVER touch them
5) all the adjustment are on CDM chassis see my pictures . It is written on the board !

last recommendation : if you have complete original service manual and tools you can do the job ! if you don't , don't touch anything

Attachments

• DSC00486-R.jpg
    DSC00486-R.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00525-R.jpg
    DSC00525-R.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00545-R.jpg
    DSC00545-R.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00546-R.jpg
    DSC00546-R.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hi clinic-audio,

thanks a lot for the hints, so I will better not touch the six screws in the audio section.
And thanks for the pictures of the CDM-chassis. That helps a lot in identifying the relevant parts.
Does anybody have a complete service manual for the CD-2? Can I get a copy?

How can I carefully delete and clean the "motor disc"? Did you mean the "disc motor"?

Kind regards...

Hello YMAFIP

thanks a lot for the hints, so I will better not touch the six screws in the audio section . YES ! there are not there to adjust the laser section . All the adjustment pot for CDM are under the PCB ( yellow pot on my picture )
adjustment-pot-R.JPG

Does anybody have a complete service manual for the CD-2 ? Can I get a copy ? service manual is very helpfull but you need specific tools (these tools are not available for sale , only YAMAHA service stations have agreement to have them )

How can I carefully delete and clean the "motor disc" ? Did you mean the "disc motor" ? again before to try to delete the disc motor you need to have the specific ring who help you to put the pulley at the right height . This is a very critical adjustment and if you don't have this ring you will not be able to place this pulley correctly and your CD player will not be able to read again !

Regarding the disc motor : the problem is coming from brush . They are very durty and cleaning is a good thing . New motors (tracking and disc) are no more available today .

CD2-motor.JPG

sometimes troubles for reading the CD are very simple

Dirty-shaft.JPG

I have been having the exact same symptoms with this CD-2 I recently got, but all I've had to do is wipe clean and lightly grease the bearing rod the laser assembly slides on. Frankly, I've been amazed at how much more I've been hearing with this 2nd gen cd-player.

edit: This (my) CD player is still having issues. Fascinating to do some internet research and find that the mlp-1* laser assembly has had issues with the polarizing prism delaminating, and that Yamaha had somehow engineered a mlp-3* laser assembly upgrade (which I cannot yet find more details about).

BTW, the six "adjustment screws" in the first post are ACTUALLY adjustable transformers, aka inductors for the reconstruction filter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom