CA-1000 with a CT-1010 a good match?

Oerets

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Being a owner of a CA-1000 recapped and ready. Having sold a CT-800 IIRC with a CA-810 last summer. Needed a tuner to go with the amp. Picked up a CT-1010 in a trade yesterday. The size difference I never noticed the CT-800 being wider ten the CA-1000.

Matters not to me now. They work well together and look, sound great together.

So what was the tuner to go with the CA-1000?

Barney

I believe that would have been the CT-800 as it is 436mm wide like the CA-1000. There was a CT-1000 in Japan but I think it was the same as the CT-1010 since our CA-1010 was a CA-1000 III in Japan, all 461mm wide.

You have a great tuner and amp combo, enjoy!

The difference in width since the tuner will be on the bottom matters little to me. But was afraid when selling the CT-800 I'd be sorry someday. But knew the CA-1010 was up for trading at that time.

Figured I let the correct one go, Oh well still have a great tuner amp combo.

Thanks

Barney

Oerets, did you get your CA-1000 fixed? I remember you having some trouble with it.

It is singing again. One of the transistors (new) in the power supply went bad and needed to be replaced again.

Barney

The CT-800 is, perhaps, the slightly better of the two tuners... but the CT-1010 ain't half bad. The one I have is actually one of the better sounding solid state tuners at my house (better sounding, e.g., than the TU-717). The vacuum tube Sherwoods leave 'em all in the dust in terms of sound quality, but that's not on the docket for this thread, is it? ;-)

The entrails of a CT-1010:

DSCN6032 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

I think that -- absent a T-2 or a CT-7000 :) -- a CT-1010 would be a fine match for a CA-1000. Wish I had a CA-1000, as a matter o'fact -- I like that generation of Yamaha integrateds a tad better than the next (i.e., the CA-**10 generation). The CA-**00 generation were slightly less frilly (no meters, no problem!) and better/more beefily built, it seems to me.

Not exactly on-topic (again!) but I think these two photos give a sense of the difference in "construction" values between the two generations of Yamaha components (and, please don't get me wrong, I like 'em all!)... The top photo shows the guts of the low-mid end CT-600 tuner and the bottom photo is the innards of the next model year's equivalent model (CT-610II). The difference in the two generations of amps inside isn't quite as dramatic, but there's still some change in robustness of construction from generation to generation.

CT-600 (borrowed photo):

CT-600 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

CT-610II:

CT610II by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Nice to hear! Any idea why it went bad? Was it one of the heatsinked ones?

It was the TIP31 IIRC used as a replacement. Started to sizzle then some low level hum.

Did the zener diodes and micro switches at the same time, since I had it open up again and the parts.

Barney

Last edited:
The CT-1010 stock is a great sounding tuner. With a few mods it can be quite marvelous. I've paired mine with the CA-1010, but not with the CA-1000 yet. I actually haven't had the 1000 and 1010 in a position to notice they aren't the same size. I'm quite fond of both amps and it would be hard to choose between them. I guess I'll just have to keep both.

It was the TIP31 IIRC used as a replacement. Started to sizzle then some low level hum.

Did the zener diodes and micro switches at the same time, since I had it open up again and the parts.

Barney

Sorry for derailing the thread but did you change the zeners because they are prone to fail or because of performance? Im curious since i didn't change zeners in mine.

A little Yamaha trivia...the contemporary of the CA-1000, the CR-1000, has a tuner section that is almost identical to the tuner board in the CT-800.

I have a CT-800 and had a CT-1010 until recently. The CT-1010, which is 5-gang, is more sensitive and has in my opinion nicer ergonomics than the CT-800, but after both were recapped and aligned sounded pretty much the same. Which is to say pretty good! However, contrary-wise to MHardy's experience, in my system the Sansui TU-717 is the winner.

My CT-1010 is now being enjoyed by a new owner to complement his CA-2010, long may they run. And I wish the same for you.

Sorry for derailing the thread but did you change the zeners because they are prone to fail or because of performance? I'm curious since I didn't change zeners in mine.

They were just PM on my part. Had them it was down and was into the unit. Did the micro switches also as PM because of the unknown history of the unit, had the parts and it was apart at the time.

Barney

A little Yamaha trivia...the contemporary of the CA-1000, the CR-1000, has a tuner section that is almost identical to the tuner board in the CT-800.

I have a CT-800 and had a CT-1010 until recently. The CT-1010, which is 5-gang, is more sensitive and has in my opinion nicer ergonomics than the CT-800, but after both were recapped and aligned sounded pretty much the same. Which is to say pretty good! However, contrary-wise to MHardy's experience, in my system the Sansui TU-717 is the winner.

My CT-1010 is now being enjoyed by a new owner to complement his CA-2010, long may they run. And I wish the same for you.

heh... amusingly enough, I just today worked up enough gumption to pull the TU-717 off the flexi-rack in the loft and slip another, rather nicer (I'd opine) ss tuner under the Sherwood...

DSC_9935 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

I was seriously disappointed by the TU-717's sonics... although, admittedly, mine hasn't had any boutique parts replacement.

Back
Top Bottom