Sansui sp-1500

djronc

This was posted in the vintage section by mistake. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi guys,

I have a pair of these in my sights are they worth $65.00. I know the bluebook is $47.00 but do any of you have experience with them. The cabinets look to be in good shape.

djronc

From what I've learned Sansui really made rather lousy speakers. I know some of the large woofered ones fetch a decent buck on the bay but I certainly wouldn't put them in a class with vintage Pioneers, JBL's, Klipsch or any of the more revered vintage speakers.

Mike

Dang man

You are harsh ! There is nuthing wrong with the SP line of speakers. I had a pair of Sp2500 that I liked allot. They do what they were designed to do and they do it very well. If you are planning on keeping these then yes thats a fair price as long as the cabinets and the fret work on the grills are intact. If you plan on selling then I would prolly pass. Most impotantly as with any vintage speaker make sure you listen to them if possible. I think it was Buzz who had a pair of the 1500's and he couldnt find replacement tweeters Anywhere for them.

Grump

Yikes, I'm straddling Mike's comment and Grumpy's!
I was never impressed by the overall tonality of the Sansui and Kenwood speaker systems. Or, rather, with their ability to do real justice to the bottom octave or two below about 50 Hz.
They ARE very efficient speaker systems, and will flat-out crank loud. They handled power pretty well once receivers began to grow in size, too.
And, in truth, most LPs did not cover much under about 60 Hz, anyway. So, for regular listening and parties, well they were really OK.
Cabinetry could vary with Sansui models, I've noticed. IIRC, the SP-1500 & 2500 had a good, solid cabinet??
That alone would be worth the price of admission.
I will say I liked the Pioneer CS speaker systems better than the Kenwoods and Sansuis.

pete

I have a pair of SP-2000's and a pair of SP-200's from thrift shops. The SP-2000's actually sound very nice when listening to vinyl. They sould absolutely horrid when listening to the radio. I've never tried them with a CD or any other sources.

The SP-200's I haven't really listened to as I just replaced the woofers & crossovers with a set from eBay. The original woofers were blown when I got them and some of the caps in the crossover had exploded.

Dave

I've got a pair of SP-1200s that I'd give away if you'd pay shipping.

The SP-2500 is a very nice speaker IMO. Used them for a long time and thought they sounded pretty darn good.

I never said it was the end all of speakers but hey what do you want for 65.00. No I would not compare it to a JBL either. A better comparison would be say an older CV speaker. Plays lound and sounds good !

Kama, how big are those things and what do they sould like? My dad needs a set of speakers. He bought these little plastic Sony things to go with the MCS receiver a gave him a few years ago.

Dave

Some Sansui speakers were JBL's. Sansui was the Japanese distrubutor for JBL. Here's one that appears to consist of JBL D130's and 075's:

02-12871-11924.jpg

Last edited:
I Say......

BUY THEM QUICK B4 SOMEONE ELSE DOES!!!!!

I have a pair.

No, they are not the top of the line, to die for, set of speakers.

But, what you ARE getting for $32.50 a Speaker is:

A 3-Way, 5 Speaker Box with a 12" Woof, a high and low Mid, and 2 Dome Tweets, in a Real Wood Box!

Overall, not a bad sounding Speaker that, IMHO, is very underated!

I believe that their Sound will pleasantly surprise you.

Lastly, go into any CC or BB with the Specs that I have listed above, and see how much Speaker $65 will buy.

Just my Very Un-Audiophile $.02.

Originally posted by DaveM
Kama, how big are those things and what do they sould like? My dad needs a set of speakers. He bought these little plastic Sony things to go with the MCS receiver a gave him a few years ago.

Dave

I'll have to get dimensions for you.....sound isn't bad as long as he's not a big bass fan.....

The bass on these is very deep when placed properly in your room, they go down to a usefull 35hz and lower with some roll-off. I ran a tone generator down to about 28hz before I had some serious roll off, and 15 hz was audible and you could definatly feel it. My marantz sp-1200's boast a reponce down to 25 hz which is a complete lie , especially compared to these. Marantz kinda cut it slim on this model, as they suck compared to the Sansui's. As far as muddy sound you'r tweeters were probably blown, I blew mine in a mishap a while back and they sound like crud now ( ALL FOUR ROASTED! :( ) by unplugging my amp from source by accident while it was on.. Anyways, these speakers sound amazing when their working properly. Try puzzlecoating the cones of the woofers when you get them, it dampens some of the higher 100-200hz bass that sticks out there and really increases the lower end responce.

Thespeakerdude8 said:
Try puzzlecoating the cones of the woofers when you get them, it dampens some of the higher 100-200hz bass that sticks out there and really increases the lower end responce.

I'm assuming this means to crosshatch glue or something on the cone? :scratch2:

puzzlecoating is ModPodge, its an elmers glue like substance you use to coat puzzles once you have put them together and want to display them. It comes in matte and gloss, both work fine. You basically put a layer on the cones and it dries, hardening them and protecting them. even if you aren't too careful putting it on, it dries smooth and without brush strokes. I used a paint brush to apply it on my woofers.

heres an article about it: http://www.t-linespeakers.org/design/tweeks.html

Sansui Speakers never disapointed me

:scratch2: Hmmm,I was reading some of these replies about Sansui speakers and I must say since 1970 when I got my first pair overseas in the Pacific while in the Military they have never disapointed me.I have SP 1001,SP1500,SP2000 and SP3000 models still in service today.The wood cabinets are so solid and the sound quality has never deteriorated all this time.It is always up to the listener,the room acoustics and the Amplifier settings controlling what they do so set them up properly and sit back and enjoy. :music:

Thespeakerdude8 said:
The bass on these is very deep when placed properly in your room, they go down to a usefull 35hz and lower with some roll-off. I ran a tone generator down to about 28hz before I had some serious roll off, and 15 hz was audible and you could definatly feel it.

Just found a pair of sp-2002 at the thrift. This is NOT a joke. I wondered why the chair was shaking. Sub woofer territory. This model is tri or bi ampable.4 sets of inputs. A real serious cross over.

Any one else have these?

Many Sansui speakers, sourced their drivers from Coral.
Sansui and Coral speakers tend to be hit.....or miss.
Coral drivers, by themselves, are outstanding and very efficient.
Don't ask me how a decent audio engineer could blow a design so bad, with good drivers??

Steve

Back
Top Bottom