Yamaha BX-1's

Mark B

Yamaha Fan
Subscriber
I traded a couple of amps for a pair on non-working Yamaha BX-1's several years ago.

Cosmetically they are in very nice condition. Now to find someone who can get these working again.

Attachments

• Yamaha BX-1's 1.jpg
    Yamaha BX-1's 1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Yamaha BX-1's 2.jpg
    Yamaha BX-1's 2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 98
I don't doubt that it will be a challenging project to get these amps back in working condition. I'm reminded of the thread that Wardsweb started for his Citation XX. He acquired one of the ultimate holy grail amps because of a problem with the infrasonic filter that thus far has stymied all attempts at repair.

Considering the age of the BX-1's and the fact that they also have issues it only makes sense to have them completely restored.

Certainly -- You need to try everything you can try and save these incredible amps. Truly time machines and arguably the best ever Yamaha made... Oh yes I'm aware of all the v-fets and the MX-10000....

At 330,000 yen each in 1980 -- Yamaha certainly priced them that way...

And yes -- a total resto / rebuild is the way to go.

Yamaha bx1

Hello Mark !

I have one pair here for repair ...Don't see anything complicate ...

Happy new year to you ! I hope you will find somebody ! If not let me know :thmbsp:

No progress to date. I was hoping my local tech (a good friend) would take them on, but he just bought a business and has no time.

Hello Mark !

Happy new year to you ! I hope you will find somebody ! If not let me know :thmbsp:
I would love to send them to you Patrice, but shipping would be prohibitive. I don't suppose shipping only the boards would work?

Hello Mr. clinic-audio, I know my logic can be a bit fuzzy at times but shouldn't you wait until you have the BX-1 repaired before saying that? Don't forget that these have already been worked over without success.

Hello Mark !

Yamaha bx-1

Hello !

Don't forget that these have already been worked over without success.

It is not because they are not working that it is impossible to make them work perfectly .
I think we are are not many able to perfectly refix B1 and C1 . I do it . You can ask some other member (very active members) they will give you the right answer .

Working on PCB stay possible BUT no adjustment will be possible and I don't like that . Perfect repair mean complete unit . I know that BX1 are a little bit heavy and you are far away ....
I am working on YAMAHA products over 35 years that's maybe why I stay with positive mind .
I just want to add something else , the owner of these BX1 I have for repair , own another working pair . The no working pair is 99% with original components so it will help me to make them work perfectly . He will give me the other pair for double check when he will get the wrong pair working .

I have already worked on old YAMAHA pcb with 100% of success . I can do it IF the boards are in good condition with no drastic mods .....

Yamaha bx-1

Hello Mark

I would love to send them to you Patrice, but shipping would be prohibitive. I don't suppose shipping only the boards would work?

I think about the best way to act . Give me some days and I will get back to you with my suggestion :thmbsp:

Hello Mark

just wanted to update this post by the fact I just receive a non working pair of BX1 . I will take care of them once the 2 YAMAHA B1 I have here will be finished (around end of march) then you can contact me to see what is possible to do ...If you still want to refix them ...Of course !

Are they 110V model or 100V Japanese model ?

If there Marks they are 100v I believe. Its been quite a while ago.

Last edited:
Thank you Dave ,
so , another possibility is sending them without power transformers , this is not silly and make them usable once you receive them back from me ....After puting your power transformers back in place (avoid wrong connections !) without talking about money you will save for shipping charges ...

Hello Mark

just wanted to update this post by the fact I just receive a non working pair of BX1 . I will take care of them once the 2 YAMAHA B1 I have here will be finished (around end of march) then you can contact me to see what is possible to do ...If you still want to refix them ...Of course !

Are they 110V model or 100V Japanese model ?
They're 120V models.

Back
Top Bottom