Yamaha c-70 preamp

totally agree about the C-70.

the C70 is a fricken bargain. sounds better than the following preamps i've had in my system. especially the phono section (i'm using a Scott Thompson modded Technics SL-1600MK2 with a VDH retipped Spectral MCR Signature cartridge:

- McIntosh C11
- McIntosh MX110
- Precision Fidelity C4
- Dynaco PAS-3
- MFA Magus C
- Conrad Johnson PV2a
- Quad 34

i also had a MINT C-80. hated it...

i blame the crappy variable loudness control in the C80. can't switch it out. make the thing sound veiled and harsh at the same time.

see ya,
Robby

totally agree about the C-70.

the C70 is a fricken bargain. sounds better than the following preamps i've had in my system. especially the phono section (i'm using a Scott Thompson modded Technics SL-1600MK2 with a VDH retipped Spectral MCR Signature cartridge:

- McIntosh C11
- McIntosh MX110
- Precision Fidelity C4
- Dynaco PAS-3
- MFA Magus C
- Conrad Johnson PV2a
- Quad 34

i also had a MINT C-80. hated it...

i blame the crappy variable loudness control in the C80. can't switch it out. make the thing sound veiled and harsh at the same time.

see ya,
Robby

How cool I just replied to your post on Audio Asylum I came across it today and posted a pic and a comment.
but yeah man I really like the C-70 it sucks the music from the grooves and pours it into my ears.

I just wanted to say, now that I've just gotten a c-70 (and m-70, t-70 and many other matching devices), I think I'll put that translated japanese quote about class A stuff on my recording studio's website.

Should bring in a few laughs from the smarter prospective clients, and a few questions from the rest :)

by the way, anybody know if the m-70 is actually class A up to 25 wpc continuous and then switching to class AB as needed over that range? I've read that on here a few places, however an m-80 owner who's read the m-80 and m-70 manuals thoroughly (and I've read the m-70 pdf as well) verified that the m-80 actually says it's class A up to such n such wpc continuous, then after that goes into class AB, where the m-70 doesn't actually claim to be class "anything" at all.

"being something to which, with the electric current which does not have the completely same strain is supplied, escaping even in the pure A class bias circuit it to be possible, in
It becomes the [tsu] it is without either influence of the electric current strain which originates in the gm curve of the element, the question to which purer A class operation becomes possible"

Thank you for all your replies.
I dont know why I suddenly opted to get the C-70 I really love the C-4 but I guess I cant help but want to try it out.
The C-70 seems to be a little more rare compared to some of the other C models yeah with the exception of the C-1.
I have not found many reviews on it and still have not found a users manual but found the service manual.
This should be fun comparing the C-4 to the C-70.

Where did you find the service manual? Do you have a link for it?

I just picked up a C-70 and need the manuals. Couldn't find the user manual either, but the user manual for the C-50 (one step down, same line, same year) is available in the library on Yamaha's own web site.

C-2a also sans loudness.

c-2a-e.jpg

I have had my eye on a C-70 now to mate with my M-70 (and possibly an M-45 as well) for a while. A question about the PRE OUT INVERT jacks. Still only used for a single amp connection or 2 in mono? Sorry for the cut and paste hack from the OM. :D

C70_PreOuts.jpg

Yank

I have had my eye on a C-70 now to mate with my M-70 (and possibly an M-45 as well) for a while. A question about the PRE OUT INVERT jacks. Still only used for a single amp connection or 2 in mono? Sorry for the cut and paste hack from the OM. :D

Yank

Either actually. Read the manual and you'll see the inverted out can be used in a single stereo amp configuration to augment bass response, or used to bridge 2 common ground stereo amps into a dual mono config.

I love my C-70. But I'm on the hunt for another preamp that has a remote. All I want to do is be able to adjust volume.

Is there some way to set it, open up the volume then bypass it through another preamp that has a volume control?

I think I'm arguing with the laws of nature and physics here.....

Then again, there's always one of those remote controlled motorized belt and pulley systems. Anyone channeling Rube Goldberg these days?

How the hell do you hook up FOUR power amps to a C-70??

You could use four mono amps if you can deal with the phasing. Although a splitter was likely used.

I love my C-70. But I'm on the hunt for another preamp that has a remote. All I want to do is be able to adjust volume.

Is there some way to set it, open up the volume then bypass it through another preamp that has a volume control?

Then again, there's always one of those remote controlled motorized belt and pulley systems. Anyone channeling Rube Goldberg these days?

You can slave to another pre using rec out, but them you're introducing the other pre sonic signature and additional circuitry into the mix.

I recall Yamaha made a volume control that had remote. It was a passive device but I think the only time I've seen mention of one around here was, of course, Mark B buying or looking at one. That also means it was probably pricey.

[edit] I just remembered, MVS-1 is the passive pre.

Last edited:

Though more in a styling queue to the C-65 is the CX-830 if you like remote control for volume and source.

Yank

Back
Top Bottom