Today's JAZZ playlist

Herbie Mann - Memphis Underground
Atlantic 7.5 ips 4-track stereo reel tape

I always love seeing these pics Skylab!!

Richie Kamuca's
Charlie
attachment.php

A fantastic album, love it.

This week's haul from GW....
1st trip:
Tal Farlow, Clark Terry, Basie, Ellington, Mulligan, Charly Mingus, Tommy Flannigan, Dakota Staton, Shirley Horne, Roland Hanna, George Mraz, Ben Riley, Anita O'Day, Helen Merrill, Keely Smith, Helen Humes, Etta Jones, JATP, Jimmy Rowles, Johnny Hartman, Zoot Sims, Bucky Pizzarelli, Milt Jackson, Eddie Condon, George Lewis, Bill Evans, Scott Hamilton, Billy Strayhorn, Oscar Peterson, Fletcher Henderson, Rex Stewart, Barney Bigard, Marian McPartland, Jimmy McPartland, Sweets Edison, Johnny Hodges, Al Cohn...

....Mostly Pablo, Verve, Concord...all mint....70 for $15

Went back and got another 100 for $20...vocalists this time...
Another Helen Merrill, Morgana King, Dinah Washington, Rosemary Clooney, Irene Krall, Susannah McCorkle, Karen Akers, Maxine Sullivan, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett, Teresa Brewer with Duke Ellington, a lot of Duke LPs,

Really impressive haul, thanks for sharing. A lot of Duke LPs is a VERY good thing.

Stepping back to basics for a spin with;

Wayne Shorter, "Night Dreamer" - RVG Edition

41XGClXQ%2BlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Of all my Jazz collection, I have probably spun THIS album the most. Still like it to this day. It holds up.

Final up today (before the S.O. gets home and complains about the Playing of Jazz);

Some guitar mastery from Joe Pass and his album "Virtuoso"

51k-5d6zbyL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Another new slab I found this week.

Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen Quartet ~ Dancing on the Tables

SteepleChase, 1979

Niels-HenningOrstedPedersonDancingontheTables.jpg

Last edited:
Kenny Burrell's Birthday today. Time to spin one for the man!

Possibly my favorite Burrell album. Blue Lights would probably have that honor though.

Kenny Burrell/Jimmy Smith ~ Blue Bash!

Verve

KennyBurrellJimmySmithBluesBash.jpg

Last edited:
Jack DeJohnnette's Special Edition ~ Tin Can Alley

ECM, 1981

JackDeJohnetteTinCanAlley.jpg

Baritone Saxophone, Alto Saxophone – John Purcell
Bass Clarinet, Flute, Tenor Saxophone – Chico Freeman
Double Bass, Cello – Peter Warren
Drums, Piano, Vocals – Jack DeJohnette

Tri-Ocity - The Art of the Jazz Organ Trio
Dave Corbus, guitar; Pat Bianchi, Hammond B3; Todd Reid, drums
Synergy Music, Denver, CO

Very well done!

Next up;

Joey DeFrancesco, "Wonderful! Wonderful!"

I'm not a big Jazz Organ fan, but I like this offering.

Funny, I really like well-played Jazz organ; I like the color of the sound, the expressive use of swell, and I think the limitations of the action inherent in its design might possibly force highly technical players to slow down and approach their music more contemplatively. (Eh?)

The album I noted above is very well done, and I'll look for the one you mentioned, too. And any time Ray Charles sits down at a hammond B3, magical things are going to happen (and no lack of key action will hold him back - The Blues Brothers movie comes to mind, of course! :D). And there is a Basie Album with the Count on organ - it's totally killer - as well as an Oscar Peterson album on which he plays much organ.

My brother, who is also a musician, hates Hammond organ and the sound of a B3 will usually send him from the room.

Back
Top Bottom