SW VA/Piedmont NC/Eastern TN meetup in Roanoke, VA?

Wes_in_VA

Okay, it must be the Russian Imperial Stout talking since I'm an introvert and a noob to audio...but I'm considering hosting a meetup at my house in Roanoke.
There's a great meetup for VA folks but it's in the NOVA area which means a 4ish hr drive for someone in my area. There was an earlier thread posted about a Piedmont NC meetup and it had a little action but no real resolution.

I'm thinking this would likely be something early in 2013 so we'd have time to plan it out and get people interested. Heck, if it got big enough I'd look into a larger space. I have a pretty good size house for hosting but hopefully we'd need more!

Who's in? Don't leave me hangin'. :beer:

I POSSIBLY might be interested...Depends on a LOT of things...Roanoke's about a 4-4.5 hr jaunt for me...Prolly have to be an "Overnite" proposition....I HATE going somewhere, only having to turn right around & go home...

Bump and a question:
This thread has gotten a decent number of views but only 1 response. If this were a 2 day deal, would some of the "viewer" become "responders"?

Assuming I don't land a new job up there sooner, I'll be in the NRV in April, ran the 5K in B'burg on the 16th last year and had a great time.

May just be what I need to come out of the audio hibernation I've been in for a few years now :scratch2::smoke:

Well, anyone who likes Russian Imperial Stout and good tunes is alright in my book. I'm in Raleigh. Depending on the timing, I might be able to come for a day or so. Thanks for the idea!

Okay then. Either my timing is bad...or there aren't many people from the region I selected who have seen this thread...or my chicken avatar has ya'll worried that my house smells like a barnyard?
I GUARANTEE there are NO chickens INSIDE the house. There is a crazy 3 legged cat, but NO chickens.

So I suppose Roanoke VA isn't exactly a hotbed of audio...but it's a great place to visit. We have great restaurants and fantastic beer choices. Even a few nice museums. Outdoor recreation is where it's at around here: hiking, mountain biking, kayaking/canoeing, road cycling...it's pretty limitless. So make a weekend of it.

If you've read this thread and are in the area but haven't responded, make a recommendation as to what would get you to come.

Roanoke also has Hollins College-One of the old-line "7 Sisters" girls' "Finishing Schools" that they were so (in)famous for...Now I think people actually go there for an EDUCATION, rather than the "snob" aspect. To the bluebloods/bluenoses of Richmond, Northern Va, & the Tidewahtuh, Virginia pretty much quits at Roanoke...Beyond that was strictly "Here There Be Tygers", altho there is a pretty decent but small area of true "Blue Blood" snot around Abingdon...

Roanoke also has Hollins College-One of the old-line "7 Sisters" girls' "Finishing Schools" that they were so (in)famous for...Now I think people actually go there for an EDUCATION, rather than the "snob" aspect. To the bluebloods/bluenoses of Richmond, Northern Va, & the Tidewahtuh, Virginia pretty much quits at Roanoke...Beyond that was strictly "Here There Be Tygers", altho there is a pretty decent but small area of true "Blue Blood" snot around Abingdon...

Seems like a lot of people think VA ends well before Roanoke!
I moved here in 1996 and thought, "man, what a backwards place. I won't be staying here long." Now you'd have to drag me away. It's just a superb place to live.

Kent. IF we do this, you could ride up w/me.. We'll Hijack Lauriann's Touraeg..(grin)

A 6-7 hr trip is a haul so I can certainly understand the hesitation.
So let me ask you this: what would make it more appealing? Since I'm trying to make this a fun time for all, that kind of feedback would be really helpful, especially considering that I'm new to the hobby and have never even attended something like this.
The basics--food, drink, tunes-- are easy to cover, but that doesn't necessarily make a longer drive appealing. What would? One thing I'm considering is talking to my local hi-fi shops to see if they might have any interest in helping to make this a "mini-show". We're lucky to have a couple of very good shops that do a lot with 2 channel stuff and we even have a shop that does a good bit of vintage.

In other words, give me some feedback, and share any ideas.

I'm in Greensbob North Carolina. Count me in. It's a nice drive and Roanoke is one of my favorite southern Virginia cities.

Last edited:
I'm in Greensbob North Carolina. Count me in. It's a nice drive and Roanoke is one of my favorite southern Virginia cities.

:thmbsp: That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

----------------------

If you read this thread and know someone in the region, do me a favor and give them a heads up to come on over here and post up if they're interested in this.

I'm just a skoosh closer than Sandy. I'm currently enduring the time suck and financial hell of a home remodel & renovation, but might be able to take some time away by next year. Might need to bum a ride as well, since the wife and I are down to one car these days.

Okay, it must be the Russian Imperial Stout talking since I'm an introvert and a noob to audio...but I'm considering hosting a meetup at my house in Roanoke.
There's a great meetup for VA folks but it's in the NOVA area which means a 4ish hr drive for someone in my area. There was an earlier thread posted about a Piedmont NC meetup and it had a little action but no real resolution.

I'm thinking this would likely be something early in 2013 so we'd have time to plan it out and get people interested. Heck, if it got big enough I'd look into a larger space. I have a pretty good size house for hosting but hopefully we'd need more!

Who's in? Don't leave me hangin'. :beer:

Could happen. I have a friend (with chickens!) in Roanoke, so I'd even have a place to crash. Hell, he's big into his vinyl & tape, too, so maybe I'll talk him into attending.

je

Would a trip to the 'Noke be more appealing if part of this shindig involved some sort of a small scale show involving the local shops wares? Sort of a "mini show"? We even have a high end cable company here locally and I'm crossing my fingers I might get them involved. Is that a "value added proposition" to everyone, or should I concentrate elsewhere?

Wes, I'm new but I do live in roanoke. I'd be interested in participating if it comes together.

Which local shops are you referring to? I'm particularly curious about the vintage shop. Are you talking about sound decision?

Back
Top Bottom