Death by Flooding

Thanks to all who responded for their sympathy and kind words.

I've been dawdling slowly towards getting things back together. The basement has bee cleared out in preparation for painting and now I have a garage chock-full of everything. I really need to get off my but on this or I'll have no place to put my car when it snows, which could be any moment now.

The speakers are piled up in the garage and I have yet to test the ones that did not sustain cabinet damage. I have hopes for the Maggies because of their appearance and construction. The Tympanis (1D's) have already survived one flood at their previous owners house.

If anyone can give me a local (Detroit) recommendation for someone who can build/rebuild/repair my damaged cabinets, and hopefully make me a plinth for my Thorens TD-125 at a reasonable price I'd like to hear about it,

To close on a happy note, two of my V-Fet amps were submerged in the flood, When I saw them covered in gook I hosed them out as I started the first cleaning of the walls and floor. Expecting a total loss I dried them out and eventually sent them to Morrell Electronics in Farmington, There they were taken apart and all the boards, connections, and switches cleaned.

Note to EchoWars, he really admired your custom power supply mounting.

I've yet to test them but he assures me that they are A-OK and working up to spec. As a bonus, the 50W amp, which had only one channel working before (and being used as a center channel) turned out to have some small issue in the input side rather than dead V-Fets. He fixed it and now I have 8 channels of V-Fet power (2x100 and 6x50) rather than 7. HUZZAH!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:

I just now read the original post......wow, what a major loss in all aspects, money, time, audio equipment, etc. not only to your audio equipment but just the fact that your basement was flooded. :tears:

That really hurts big time, you have my heart felt sympathy. :sigh:

But, it is good :yes: to hear, though, that your getting postive progress back on some of your audio equipment and slowly salvaging what you can and getting back to a normal sense of living.

For me personally I always try to enjoy every piece of audio equipment that I have, whether it is stored or not, because you just never know what tomorrow may bring? Enjoy what you have today and don't put it off for some other time because you just never know. :scratch2:

Again, good to hear your postive +++ progress! :thmbsp:

Nice to hear that the Sony's were saved. Rinsing them out ASAP is likely what saved them. Good on ya.

Glad to hear things are starting to look up for you. The guy over at Morrell Electronics is great, and he does good honest work for a fair price.

Clean water IMMEDIATELY and NO electricity (backup batteries, capacitors discharged etc) - I saw 66 type phone blocks that came out of the great Chicago Flood, and the energized pairs were almost completely corroded away. The unenergized blades were messed up, but those energized blades were almost missing....

I have a Thorens TD-160 in need of a tonearm (or tonearm repair) that might be available. PM if interested.

Just now reading this.

Man, totally sucky situation, know that you have my deepest sympathy. Happy the VFET's were saved. Wishing you the best.

Back
Top Bottom