2. Two (2) Emotiva UPA-1 amplifiers
3. Belkin Pro-Theater power center/surge protector
4. Yulong Sabre D18 digital to analog converter
5. SimAudio Moon MiND 180 streamer
6. Streamer app on an iPad
7. Vienna Acoustic Mozart speakers
8. Arcam T61 tuner

2ch09_zps0c705e58.jpg

On Friday the 13th, my new lucky day :yes:, I wandered into the local Goodwill just to have a look. It's been over a year since I was last in and didn't really have anything in mind but I was there just on a whim.

I immediately spotted a silver faced receiver in the back and when I got closer I saw that it was a Yamaha CR-1020 receiver!:banana: It was in good condition based on its appearances but, as we all know, the real story is told when you first plug it in. The case, face and back panel were all in excellent shape so I decided it was worth losing $35 to take it home and go from there. :D

CR-102008_zps7ffe2f18.jpg

PioneerCR-62003_zps845b97f8.jpg

I did a little testing during the past week and all I ended up with that was even marginal was the loudness control and the audio muting controls were scratchy plus the left SP Out meter bulb is not working. Cleaned the controls but left the bulb alone as 1) I will do an LED upgrade to it later, and, 2) I was impatient to get it working.

I boxed up the other system components I wasn't going to use preparing to send them along to new owners and put the Yamaha into service.

Luckily I have a pair or two of extra speaker cables laying around (just in case, mind you) and with a change from spades to those tiny little banana plugs that fit into the spring clips on the back of this era unit, I was almost good to go.

PioneerCR-62002_zpsf6d63f79.jpg

There's no provision for a 75 ohm coaxial antenna connection on the back of the Yamaha but I did have a dipole so that went into service vs. the powered antenna I was using earlier. I may swap out the dipole for the powered antenna if I can find an adapter for a 75 ohm coax to 200 ohm spade connector. The dipole is extremely sensitive to movement in the room based on its orientation and proved to be a bit less than optimum. Too bad Radio Shack closed up here recently.

I reused the DAC and the streamer, along with a Panamax power center and surge protector I had held in reserve. I also left the Mozart speakers in place.

Anyway, enough rambling...but there was one other thing to deal with...the Yamaha was TOO BIG for my rack! :yikes: Oh well, extra toy chests come in handy for all kinds of things.

Here's the temporary setup which will eventually change with a better stand/storage solution (short 2 level bookshelf maybe?) and maybe the powered antenna.

CR-102007_zpsa6738b55.jpg

CR-102010_zps3574068d.jpg

I gave this system a good listen last night and I must say the CR-1020 definitely sounds different and that difference sounds better!

I'm glad I made the change.

Thanx, guys. I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.

Usually I am in the wrong place at the right time or the right place at the wrong time. :D

The next (last?) piece of my 2-channel retrofit showed up yesterday. I was fortunate to find a well cared for Denon DVD5900 online and snapped it up.

denon-dvd-5900-dvd-player-front-main-large.jpg

I'll pair this up with my Yamaha CR-1020 and a Yulong Sabre D18 DAC. First I will connect to the Yamaha directly via RCA and then try it with the DAC in between and see what works best.

CR-102006_zpsac4cc882.jpg

Yulong01_zpsfc62808f.jpg

Oh, and I need to finalize my plans to put in a rack. The toy chest works but I need to up my game with this system. :D

CR-102010_zps37ac9384.jpg

Back
Top Bottom