Death by Flooding

acalunas1

I am sad to report that my basement took on about 18 inches of storm drain water as a result of the torrential rain we experienced on 8/11.

I lost my pride-and-joy Sony TAN-8550 V-Fet power amp (100WPC), recently restored to even better-than-new condition by Echowars at great expense, along with a 50WPC Tan-5550. Both were submerged in the floodwaters.

I lost a pair of JBL 4312 Control Monitors, L-45 Flairs (the super-sized L-100's), L100t3's (the speakers I brought to the last AK-Fest), and a single 4412 Control Monitor I had planned to use as a JBL HT-setup center-channel. The corners of the cabinets have all broken apart.

In addition I lost a pair of KEF 107's, a pair of Bozak 302-A's, my recently acquired Electro-Voice DIY project using a 10" woofer and a pair of horns, a pair of custom-built Subwoofers from Meniscus Audio systems in Grand Rapids. The cabinets broke on all of these.

Along with those, a pair of Magneplanar Tympani 1D's, a pair of MG-LR1's, a pair of SMG's, a single MMG, and a pair of Vandersteen Model 1's got wet but have yet to show catastrophic damage though it is likely that all of the crossovers may be damaged. I have yet to test any of them as I have been busy with the cleanup.

What's really sad is that I have spent the last couple of years acquiring many of them and money and time getting them checked out, re-coned, XO's rebuilt, etc., only to have them snatched away before I had much of a chance to enjoy them. I'm especially disappointed that I never hosted a meet or two and had the fun of playing them for the club.

Alas, time to go smear myself with ashes and whimper in a corner for a while.
After that, it will be time to start thinking about new stuff to get.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Amazed at your attitude, which seems to be the right one: Grieve for a while, then get started on a new collection! The important thing, though, is that you and yours are okay.

you may want to install a backwater valve on your sewer line.
sorry to hear your losses

The speaker cabinets sound like they're gone, but the equipment may be salvageable if you dry it out right.

Terrible Alan. Any possible recoup with homeowner's? Not that it will replace your time and effort. My neighborhood was pretty much devastated judging by the piles of water-damaged (and sewage-damaged) crap on the curbs this week. We lucked out and only sustained minor basement damage but most folks lost it all. Supposedly a 292-year rain.

Hang in there. If you need to borrow something to listen to tunes in the meantime let me know.

Sorry to hear that Alan. I was hoping most folks came out of that mess OK, but I guess it was too much of a long shot.

Most of those drivers should be fine once dry, so you may want to hang onto them as they certainly don't need to wind up in a landfill.

Truly sorry to hear that.
Been there, done that, got the t shirt, wore it out, currently using it as a paint rag.

I lost a pair of "perfect" Maggy IIc's to Hurricane Irene a few years back, along with a pair of unrestored but great looking/sounding Rectilinear III High boys, a PS Audio Model 6 preamp and a B&K ST202+ amp.

As they were all "older" pieces, the value (if you could jokingly call it that) assigned by flood insurance adjuster wouldn't buy a current "boombox" from Walmart.

Still recovering financially from that whole debacle years later.

Good thoughts your way for a faster, smoother recovery...

Damn, that blows the big one! After experiencing a few basement floods of my own here in the great valley of Hudson, that either took, gear, records, photos, appliances, etc., and after spending beaucoup bux on drainage and goods replacement, NOTHING and, I mean NOTHING sits on the floor or is lower than 15-18 inches from said basement floor.

The greatest loss ever was the 30+ pounds of family fotos stored in two boxes that at the time of Hurricane Floyd's visit, were safe on a shelf about 6 inches above the floor. However, the 60+inches of water that found its way into my basement made that previously perceived safety something of a joke!

Again, sorry you lost so much time, money and potential listening pleasure, but now you get to do it all again, and maybe even better than last time!

Al, really sorry to hear this.

Terrible Alan.

Hang in there. If you need to borrow something to listen to tunes in the meantime let me know.

This, there is much 'spare' equipment in this group.

Most of those drivers should be fine once dry, so you may want to hang onto them as they certainly don't need to wind up in a landfill.

Really, the cabinets could be replicated if you can salvage the drivers & X-overs.

Man, sad to hear of all the equipment loss. But it's true, you can pick up and rebuild, and often end up better in the end!

Our end of the street here in the Shores was spared, but further down (lake-ward, if you will), there were piles of basement "stuff" at the curb. My "man cave" is a family room on the main level of the house, on a cement slab over a crawl space.

We lost a car in the flood, so we can relate. It was an older Acura but still, I had it in top condition except for a few door dings. Didn't get crap for a payout though. My other half had to be pulled out the window, as the water was rising so fast. It was over on Chicago Rd. in Warren, near the GM Tech Center. Yep, right where Red Run and Bear Creek run through...

That really sucks! I hope you can save some of the electronics by drying them out and cleaning them. I know how much effort goes into searching for these things, I feel for you.

I missed this back in August...so sad!!

Never tried to restore a flooded piece, but if this happened to me, I think I'd be giving it a go. Hope you are well friend.

Back
Top Bottom