MX-1000 big 4 recap

Crazeehorse

Has anyone recapped the big 4 on a MX-1000? I've been trying to decide how to do this since I cant find any caps that are in spec that will physically fit. I know someone did an M-80 by using 3 smaller caps together but I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks for your time.

Has anyone recapped the big 4 on a MX-1000? I've been trying to decide how to do this since I cant find any caps that are in spec that will physically fit. I know someone did an M-80 by using 3 smaller caps together but I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks for your time.

Are the OEM caps bad ?

They are showing the tell tale signs of leaking on the M-80. I just figured if I'm fixing one then do the other as well. I take it if they are not leaking or bulging leave be? How long can these caps last? I drive my MX-1000 pretty hard sometimes but never to the point where she's abused.

Finding the same physical size, off the shelve, is pretty much impossible. Custom order and big$$$ is pretty much your choice if you want to have the same size replacements.
Unless they are bad, I would say leave them alone for now. These caps may form what looks like a bubble on the top, but that does not mean they are bad. The bubble is mostly trapped air under the vinyl wrapping.

They are showing the tell tale signs of leaking on the M-80. I just figured if I'm fixing one then do the other as well. I take it if they are not leaking or bulging leave be? How long can these caps last? I drive my MX-1000 pretty hard sometimes but never to the point where she's abused.

Cant tell you how long they will last. That being said, I had the opportunity to look inside 4 different MX-1000's within the past few months, some with serious issues, but none that had bad main caps. Three of the 4 amps are mine and while trying to fix one of them, I mistakenly pushed the rated voltage limits on the PSU caps, past their specification, but they are still fine. I was able to fix this amp (with the help and guidance of Avionic and other folks on the forum to whom I am forever grateful), and I use it now on regular basis and can tell you that it has the same excellent Yamaha sound as its other two MX-1000 brothers.

Thanks for the response. I think I want to recap all the small caps at the very least. As I sit here listening to it I think I hear some fuzzy high frequency issues on and off. I hope I'm just manufacturing it because some things sound great and some make me wonder. I even put in my refurbished C-65 pre-amp to rule out the CX-1000. I just recapped all the caps in the M-80 using Nichicon audio grade where I could. That amp seems to have more depth on the lower end now than my MX-1000. Just curious who would I contact to make a custom capacitor? I think these amps are worth that kid of investment when needed. Thanks again for the response. I have talked to Avionic several times in the forums. I agree he's the man here. I wonder if the Legendary Amps guy is someone I should just talk to about redoing my MX.

I am thinking that a bank of multiple 10,000uf would be an alternative solution, and that is what I plan on doing when mine will go bad. It would require a custom made board. I would prefer to use 10,000uf since they can be tested directly with a capacitance meter and ESR meter. The larger caps are difficult to test with standard equipment.

Thanks for the response. I think I want to recap all the small caps at the very least. As I sit here listening to it I think I hear some fuzzy high frequency issues on and off. I hope I'm just manufacturing it because some things sound great and some make me wonder. I even put in my refurbished C-65 pre-amp to rule out the CX-1000. I just recapped all the caps in the M-80 using Nichicon audio grade where I could. That amp seems to have more depth on the lower end now than my MX-1000. Just curious who would I contact to make a custom capacitor? I think these amps are worth that kid of investment when needed. Thanks again for the response. I have talked to Avionic several times in the forums. I agree he's the man here. I wonder if the Legendary Amps guy is someone I should just talk to about redoing my MX.
If you feel that amp is not working properly, take to reliable technician for diagnostic. Make sure he has proper measurement gear like spectrum analizer etc. Let him run full diagnostic first. Then decide on what needs to be done. It is very unlikely that main power supply caps need replacement. Even if they do, it will cost you several hundred. Keep in mind that ORIGINAL unit is more valuable than modded if you decide to sell.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on Legendary Amps. So I guess the question now is what does everyone do that has a M or MX series amp they want to keep in use? I take it no one has come up with a good solution to the problem for the M-80/85s or the MX-1000. I found drop in replacements for my M-60 thanks to Avionic but the bigger amps are a no go. My MX looks and operates like brand new for the moment but I know I'm living on borrowed time. I'd just like to get it all replaced and relax for few years know the amp should last.

Thanks for the info on Legendary Amps. So I guess the question now is what does everyone do that has a M or MX series amp they want to keep in use? I take it no one has come up with a good solution to the problem for the M-80/85s or the MX-1000. I found drop in replacements for my M-60 thanks to Avionic but the bigger amps are a no go. My MX looks and operates like brand new for the moment but I know I'm living on borrowed time. I'd just like to get it all replaced and relax for few years know the amp should last.
Most transient issues are mechanical in nature. It could be that proper cleaning and reflowing few solder points may solve the problem. But again let professionals deal with it.

I have an M-80 that needs some love too.

My EE friend who is helping me as I stumble along finds doing the mechanical replacements dull, I'm a little slow on the solder for him.

At some point we will be looking at the M-80 and I'll let you know what he comes up with, he also works with 2 high level analog engineers who he describes as freaks for the old audio gear that he bounces ideas off of.

Perhaps a mezzanine board as you suggested or something completely different.

Looking inside my M-80 it's definitely packed.

For now if it ain't broke, it may be better not to fix it until there is a clean solution from someone.

What dimensions and values are you looking for?

How did you come to that conclusion?

Simple. He never addressed the DSBG issue until I messaged him on eBay with a question about mitigation of the problem and then suddenly he was an expert and his LEGENDARY listings started showing up with the correction.

His "repairs" are nothing more than a cleanup and replacement of the binding posts with cheap plastic components and shoddy mounting.

Back
Top Bottom