reinstalling tuner string

michiganpat

did some work on my 2265 (redoing vellum, replacing a burnt out FM lamp), and in the process I had to undo the tuner string. anyone have any tips or tricks to getting the tuner string back on any easier?

Lots of masking tape to hold things in place and lots of patience .

Beg or borrow another similar Marantz, or the service manual if it has a good pic of the stringing path, etc. What you need is something to compare your work to- it is easy to route the string just slightly wrong, and it may work, but not very well and for not very long. And as Punker said, "patience"

I can't stress that last one enough, lol

yes it does, I think I was going to put it on correct, but I might have had the two pullies on the right reversed...biggest issue I had was trying to keep everything from moving while attempting to wrap it around the tuner wheel, and where the last place to put it on should be? I"m thinking get everything set, then stretch over the pulley attached to the meter housing.

I decided to hold off for a few days, I've got one more bi-pin light (the stereo lamp) out on it, and I'm waiting for a replacement from dgwojo to arrive....

it's a lot easier to replace the lamp with the string out of the way...

I usually soak a paper towel with water and cover the string when I solder in the area.

This might help.

Tom

Tom-

I just got the stereo lamp replaced (thanks dgwojo!), but the schematic you attached doesn't make sense--it shows the pointer going around the tuning wheel?

also, the right side pulleys are in a different orientation than my non-B 2265....

anyone have a 2265 they could take a nude pic to show the tuning string orientation?

here's mine, with the string not on....

Attachments

• P1050001.JPG
    P1050001.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 30
hifiengine.com has the service manual for the 2265. Perhaps it has a diagram in it. It's free. You just have to register.

...nevermind. I just checked and it's the Handbook of Instructions and not the Service Manual.

Last edited:
I figured it out....only took 45 minutes or so to figure it out and get the pointer lined up correctly with the station....I found some pics of the 2265 in the nudie thread, albeit with the tuner string cover on it that obscures most of the string...

also, even after vellum replacement, the display was still a touch green/aqua. the white lightbox was kind of a dingy yellow. a little lacquer thinner on some q-tips took a lot of the yellow away.

for reference, this is how it goes

Attachments

• P1050001.JPG
    P1050001.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom