Highest-end gear you've found at a thrift

anytune

At a recent stop to one of my regular thrift stores, I was quite surprised to find a McCormack DNA-1 power amp sitting among the mostly BPC on the shelf. The beast was priced at $800 and had a "sold" sticker on it. It is by far the most expensive thrift audio piece I've come across. Frankly, I wonder why it was donated, but that's another discussion. Just wondering, what is the most expensive or highest quality audio component you've come upon at a thrift?

I found a pair of PSB Stratus Silvers, Stratus center, and a small PSB sub at GW. $400 for all. A clerk told me they were priced higher($800 I think) for some time, but nobody bought them.

My Altec Valencias, I found at a Salvation Army store(and I bought them December 2002).

I saw a Nakamichi PA-7 Nelson Pass designed power amp at a local pawn brokers about 8 or 9 years ago, at a reasonable price. Unfortunately I was broke at the time. :tears:

Pioneer SX-1250. They weren't exactly giving it away. But it was still a very good deal, and it now resides here.

ADS L-810s with perforated metal screen $40 at SA

Vandersteen something or others $100

Yamaha A1 amp, WITH control door intact, $40

Yamaha T-1 tuner

Emm Labs CDSAse CD/SACD player. A still current product that retails for $11,500.

I didn't get it for peanuts, but I also didn't pay anywhere near what it's worth in the used market. Technically I didn't find it, I was told about it by a friend who saw it. And it is, in fact, the best sounding source gear I've ever heard.

Emm Labs CDSAse CD/SACD player. A still current product that retails for $11,500.

I didn't get it for peanuts, but I also didn't pay anywhere near what it's worth in the used market. Technically I didn't find it, I was told about it by a friend who saw it. And it is, in fact, the best sounding source gear I've ever heard.

Did you ever find out the story of why it ended up at a thrift? My PSBs are small potatoes compared to your player, but I wonder why they were donated. My guess is somebody was cleaning out a house for a relative and figured they were just big old speakers.

Did you ever find out the story of why it ended up at a thrift? My PSBs are small potatoes compared to your player, but I wonder why they were donated. My guess is somebody was cleaning out a house for a relative and figured they were just big old speakers.

I never did find out but have always wondered. The store knew what it was but got tired of it collecting dust so gave me a great price for it, all things considered. I also bought two relatively new B&W HTM4s Nautilus center channel speakers (one with a bad tweeter) at another of their locations, so they come into some really nice audio gear from time to time. Which reminds me, I need to buy a replacement tweeter from B&W, as I plan to use them as stereo speakers.

So how much didja get it for!?!

I also wondered why there was a pair of Altec Valencias at my local Savation Army store. About 3 years after I bought them, I spoke to the guy at the SA store who handled the transaction for my speakers. I asked him who on earth would part with them? He told me that a nightclub on the beachfront(about a mile and a half away) had been demolished and a new nightclub built. Supposedly there were three pairs of speakers(all Valencias?). Two of the demolition guys took one pair each, and the last pair was donated to the Salvation Army store. At the time that I bought those Valencias, the Aussie dollar was worth MUCH less than it is currently. I paid the equivalent of $190US for them, in 2002. :D

That donated pair set me onto three different paths simultaneously:

I had been an audio lover since '77. My mindset was that newer is better. The Valencias caused me to have a rethink. A huge rethink. I was under the impression (from the media) that horns were crap. Not to my ears. Not from what I was hearing from the Valencias. Another spin-off of this rethink was to reconsider the Belt-Drive and Direct Drive situation. The same thing happened, I'd never owned a direct drive. Now, I've bought a succession of them and it has been the best decision I've made music-wise, ever.

That was the first path. Vintage is not always crap. The second was that I wanted to find-out information about the Altecs. I had never been on the internet. Not once ever. My brother visited me for Christmas. He wanted to go to an internet cafe(I, not having a computer). There was one a few miles away. After my brother had gone, I figured-out that there might be information about the Altecs on the internet. That initial need for information about the Valencias introduced me to the internet.

Thirdly, AudioKarma and internet forums.

I lurked here at AK for about six months before joining. I was wanting to find out information about a Kenwood amp I had bought. I saw a post on Audio Asylum by 'Bully' which had a link to AK at the bottom. Coming here, I found via a search, that EchoWars was an informed fellow on all things Kenwood. Plus, I liked the tone of AK as compared to AA. AudioKarma led to other forums and ultimately to going on the internet on a regular basis.

What a fateful decision it was, when those Altec Valencias were donated to the Salvation Army store by the demolition guys. A decision which changed my life in many ways. :yes:

So how much didja get it for!?!

I think I paid $1000 for it or so, I don't remember the exact number but it was around that. Still a lot for a thrift purchase but I could have turned around and sold it for about $5000 or $6000 on audiogon (and was tempted to do so but I love how it sounds). Everybody was happy with the deal, they knew what they had but also knew that nobody was going to pay $5000 for a CD player at a thrift. I need to send it back to EMM Labs for their newer more robust transport..its one issue is a temperamental transport that may have led to it being donated by whoever had it, and which gave me a lot of wiggle room in negotiation (they had a higher price on it). I've figured out how to get it to work but it was acting up and I was taking a gamble that it would be repairable. It is...but I may not bother as I've figured out what makes it act up. They originally used a Philips transport IIRC but have had reliability issues. I wish I could put this player's electronics (and sound) into the build quality of my Marantz SA-11s2.

My Tannoy GRF Reds in enclosures...4 for $400...sold 2 without enclosures for 1200 bucks ( mistake?), kept the older pair with orange dust caps...that was 22 years ago..admittedly ,did not know much about them , but always saw the want ads in the back of stereo review. I am enjoying them today (with newly built x-overs).

I think I paid $1000 for it or so, I don't remember the exact number but it was around that. Still a lot for a thrift purchase but I could have turned around and sold it for about $5000 or $6000 on audiogon (and was tempted to do so but I love how it sounds). Everybody was happy with the deal, they knew what they had but also knew that nobody was going to pay $5000 for a CD player at a thrift. I need to send it back to EMM Labs for their newer more robust transport..its one issue is a temperamental transport that may have led to it being donated by whoever had it, and which gave me a lot of wiggle room in negotiation (they had a higher price on it). I've figured out how to get it to work but it was acting up and I was taking a gamble that it would be repairable. It is...but I may not bother as I've figured out what makes it act up. They originally used a Philips transport IIRC but have had reliability issues. I wish I could put this player's electronics (and sound) into the build quality of my Marantz SA-11s2.

Cool, got a pic of this bad boy?

Back
Top Bottom