Yamaha B2 and Sony TA-N7B

The Fez

Both just wonderful amplifiers.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone that is, or has been in, the fortunate position to own both these amps and can compare their respective sounds.

Perhaps one of the esteemed techs that has worked on both, can let us know how they compare?

I have the B2 and I want the Sony...

Last edited:
B2: hopelessly complex, ugly like hell, sound so-so (typical yamaha clean sound)

TA-N7B: endless design beauty, straight forward warm open sound

B2: hopelessly complex, ugly like hell, sound so-so (typical yamaha clean sound)

I would not describe the B-2 as having a typical Yamaha sound. With the right speakers, it is a very engaging amplifier. Very fluid midrange, almost tube like. Extended bass with lots of detail, fairly quick yet musical and not too punchy. Extended highs with low fatigue qualities. Most Yamaha amps I am familiar with could be described as clean and neutral. Noting wrong with them but far from engaging.

Never heard a Sony amp that I like but I hear the V-fets are awesome...

I would not describe the B-2 as having a typical Yamaha sound. With the right speakers, it is a very engaging amplifier. Very fluid midrange, almost tube like. Extended bass with lots of detail, fairly quick yet musical and not too punchy. Extended highs with low fatigue qualities. Most Yamaha amps I am familiar with could be described as clean and neutral. Noting wrong with them but far from engaging.

What he says! :thmbsp:

I've never heard one and I'm sure the TA-N7B wonderful amp but to me it's not a true V-FET amp in that it looks to me like the actual output devices are BJT's ... IMHO more of a hey look what we can do amp. :D

Take a look:

attachment.php

Last edited:

Yeah I'd agree. The B2 does not sound like my other vintage Yamaha amps. I've heard the CA-1010, CA-2010, M2, M4 power amp and the A-S1000 integrated. Its sounds better!

No one else heard both amps and could compare them?? Couple of guys down here reckon the Sony is THE BEST amp they have ever heard. Vintage and contemporary..Names thrown around include Accuphase, Luxman, Krell, Halcro, Shindo, Air Tight........Kondo Ongaku :jawdrop:- Big call isn't it...

Guess I just have to find out for myself....:D

It's a sony!

This is the Sony I just got. I'll need to wait until later in the year to have a proper listen, wont be serviced until then.

They are quite a looker I think...

This is the Sony I just got. I'll need to wait until later in the year to have a proper listen, wont be serviced until then.

Looks excellent, I look forward to your report on the sound when you get it up to snuff.

B2: hopelessly complex, ugly like hell, sound so-so (typical yamaha clean sound)...

Your B2 impression is way off. The B2 doesn't sound like any of the consumer receivers or integrated amps I've heard now does it sound like any of the pro amps either.

Beautiful! That looks like a Sony VFET built to last (unlike the somewhat fragile TA-5650).

I'll vouch for the B-2 also. I had one from about 2004 to 2009 or so. I loved its sound.

Having never heard, nor even seen either, the B-2 or TA-N7 in person, all I can do is...:drool::drool: :lurk:

The closest I've gotten to joining this exclusive club, is owning 3 Sony TA-4650's.
And years ago, unwittingly passing on a Sony TA-8650, at a thrift store clearance, having no idea what a VFET was, at that time. :dunno:

Congrats, btw! :smoke:

Yeah its a nice looking thing. It's sort of modular in design. It all screws together with hex and phillips heads. It comes apart very easily and goes back together easily. All 90degree pieces fitting together.

Its in very nice original condition. Internals will be done later in teh year with the Yamaha. With this Sony, you could take all "external" pieces off and refurbish them if you wish...

Hmph. I really like the look of my B-2...watching the meter needles dance as the music plays so sweetly.

I have a dorm fridge that looks a little like that Sony, only taller.

Hmph. I really like the look of my B-2...watching the meter needles dance as the music plays so sweetly.

I have a dorm fridge that looks a little like that Sony, only taller.

ok, the B-2 ain't that bad. Sorry guys. I do have couple of Yammies I love, like a set of B-3 (talking big VFETs) and a CA-2000. Will never let them go.

Beautiful! That looks like a Sony VFET built to last (unlike the somewhat fragile TA-5650).

Congrats with this wonderful amp. I have two of these, one with a darker faceplate and one the same as yours. The first is completely recapped and the fusibles and trim pots have been replaced, together with some other mods, like new thermal insulation pads and binding posts. Just look at my thread here, I will soon start on the other one. I have then now running in an active setup with a tae900 Pre - sep900 parametric equalizer - tad900 crossover all Sony Esprit gear.

On the other hand I also have a yammie B1 waiting for a recap, especially the main psu caps before I want to start that beast. Can't wait for the comparison, at least the amount of steel in the yammie must be double that of the Sony ;)

That is one amp I am very curious of its performance against the B-2. Sony certainly took it very serious during its creation. I doubt if I will ever see one more or less hear one :pity:

Yes -- I'm looking forward to listening to both. But I'm going to wait until they are both serviced / restored later in the year, before they go head-to-head.

Shoul be a very enjoyable afternoon of listening. I'll get a few guys around for some other opinions also.

Bring it on!

That SONY sure has better looks than the B-2.Actually looks a lot like a B-1.

Back
Top Bottom