Preamp recommendations for a pair of Bryston 2B-LPs

dakmensa

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello all,

I'm seeking a high quality preamp (preferably something old) for use with a pair of 2B-LPs. I've always focused on speakers, and have a pretty clear idea of what I'm looking for and where to find it as far as that goes, but I haven't paid as much attention to the other elements of a system. I'm using the Brystons with a pair of Magnepan MG-IIAs which I've (marginally, diy) "gunned" in accordance with the email advice and guidance of the very helpful and friendly Peter Gunn. In addition, I have a pair of Magnepan SMGa and various decent box speakers-KEF 103/3 and Infinity CS-3007 are occasionally in the rotation. My current preamp is an NAD 1600. I'm happy with the sound of the system as a whole, but there was a time when I thought I was hearing all there was to hear through a pair of KLH 17s, so I know there is more there. Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
David

What is your budget? Are you looking for SS, tubes or anything? Must have a phono input? In the SS , sub 1 K$ category, I would suggest a Audio Research LS-3 (but you would need a phono preamp). Or perhaps a Bryston preamp?

PS: my main system pairs that preamp to a Bryston 4B and I am delighted by the results.

Last edited:
I used a Rogue 66 (tubes) with a Bryston amp for a long time, they work well together.

Bryston makes a range of very nice preamplifiers themselves...

Bryston makes a range of very nice preamplifiers themselves...

Indeed!

The Bryston BP6 preamp would be a very good match for the 2b LP's. They however sell for more than their B60 Integrated amp. The B60 is the BP6 preamp and 2B LP power amp on one dual mono chassis. By using the preamp outputs your getting the BP6 Preamp, and you have an extra 60 wpc stereo amp for back up.

I am using a Bryston B100 SST Integrated amp. I replaced my NAD 1600 preamp/Tuner and Audio Design power amp with it. When I connected the NAD preamp/tuner to the power amp section of the Bryston, the sound was less than flattering. For some unknown reason it worked much better with the audio design power amp than the Bryston.

When I connected the Bryston preamp's section to the Audio design power amp, the sound was a big improvement over the NAD preamp/tuner. (which isn't surprising considering the price difference).

The point is the preamp a is VERY important part of the package. I'm not suggesting that the NAD is in any way a bad choice. It is in fact very good for what it is. A Mid-fi stereo preamp tuner with a very good FM section, Phono stage and remote for a reasonable price. But IMO you can do better with those 2B LP amps.

Last edited:
First question that comes to MY mind is;
What source do you have that actually Needs! a pre.
Cd players certainly do not. Turntables do..however, there are Several absolutely outstanding Phono amps available, pre made or Preferably DIY.
Perhaps identifying exactly what your needs are.. before just buying 'sumpting'

Thanks for the replies. As for what I need in a preamp, no more than 5% of my source material is vinyl. Everything else is (in order of importance) digital audio in various formats from my computer, CD, and FM radio. I'd definitely like to have the option of a phono preamp, but it is not an absolute necessity. I have the NAD preamp and might be able to rig its phono pre to whatever else I was using. In addition, I should have mentioned that I prefer to buy high quality used gear as opposed to new whenever possible. I'll be looking for a Bryston preamp of the same vintage as the 2B-LPs- an obvious choice that hadn't occurred to me.
Thanks again to all of you for the responses.
David

Having sold both Bryston and Rogue at retail - and listened to various combinations of each - I would strongly recommend extended listening to a Bryston/Bryston combo before purchase. My personal opinion is that the Rogue 66 could be a very good match for the 2Bs. I think the Brystons need something to warm them up a bit. Although they're very clean, many think they're also a bit sterile-sounding. Besides which, I've never cared for Bryston preamps (although their amps are pretty solid). As an alternative to the Rogue, you might consider a conrad-johnson or another tube pre; I've fooled with several combos like that and everyone where I worked seemed to consider the tube pre/ss amp combo desirable.

Truth be told, that NAD isn't a half bad choice either, if you want to stay SS. For tubes, I'd be looking for a C-J PV5.

As always, just my opinion, YMMV.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom