Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

This cracked me up. I havn't posted on here in a while. But I decided to report my first attempt. A friend of mine gifted me a funny thriftstore album. It had really neat album art, but the record was totally trashed. Had mold all over it and was in just terrible shape. I decided to take the plunge. I bought a tube of tight bond, put way to much on and waited a few days. Peeled it all off, amazingly the record is clean and sounds GOOD! I am blown away. I did listen to it on my backup record player a bunch of times before putting it under my expensive stylus. I wont do this on my high quality LPs, but the trashed ones. Why not.

Why? You don't want those records to sound better?

I've had records I thought were misgraded...gave them a good ole gluing and voila! of course, drying times vary cause of humidity, ambient temperature, etc.

In fact...I may have to glue my Houses of the Holy I picked recently...super noisy on the A Side...

Should come right off. If not use the corner of a razor blade to get it started. Worse case, remove the platter and scrub it.

Should come right off. If not use the corner of a razor blade to get it started. Worse case, remove the platter and scrub it.
I've had the platter off and given it a good scrub, it's very stubborn! May try a razor blade as suggested. Getting it off the strobe spots is going to be tricky. I wondered if there might be a solvent that will make this easier?

I've had the platter off and given it a good scrub, it's very stubborn! May try a razor blade as suggested. Getting it off the strobe spots is going to be tricky. I wondered if there might be a solvent that will make this easier?

The wet glue cleans up with a damp cloth, but dry glue is water, heat and solvent resistant. :scratch2:

But good luck!

If you can find one of those non stick pan scrapers that are made out of thin hard plastic you may be able to crack it off. On the other hand since none of those surfaces are porous, you could also try sticking the platter in the freezer first. That might make it easier to crack it off.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.
U g

Well I have been living with it but it would be nice to clean it off. Will give it a freeze and a scrape and see if I don't make it worse! Thanks

I think the glue folks should try epoxy next. Nice expensive 2 part marine grade. Do both sides at the same time. Coat side one, flip onto your turntable then goop side 2. For good measure the stylus should probably be set down on the upside while it cures. Cleans the stylus at the same time see.

I think the glue folks should try epoxy next. Nice expensive 2 part marine grade. Do both sides at the same time. Coat side one, flip onto your turntable then goop side 2. For good measure the stylus should probably be set down on the upside while it cures. Cleans the stylus at the same time see.

Well, that didn't work very well. My LP got stuck to the platter, and the epoxy melted the vinyl AND ripped the stylus right off the arm... now I can't get the record off the platter either.

I'll try it again, but this time with that underwater one. :boring:

Subtle as a sledgehammer.

Back
Top Bottom