The Most Primitive TT IC on the Planet!

lorne

Sonic Lizard
Subscriber
EDITED Nov. 22/23

Some weeks ago I ran into a superb deal on a vintage Micro Seiki DD8 — a PPL direct drive table that mounts a nice Micro MA-505 Mk II arm. Unlike my Micro Seiki DQ5, its tonearm wire terminates at RCA plugs close by to the grounding lug.

As a stop-gap measure, I pulled out all the interconnect wire I had in my bins and selected what I thought was the most suitable. After learning how to set up the table, I experimented with several cartridges and was well pleased. But ... then it was time to take stock of what was really going on. I checked the capacitance of the TT's RCA terminated interconnect running to my Melos tube pre-amp and ... :thumbsdn: Even given some room for error on my amateurish sort of meter, the capacitance was pretty shocking. And all the other stuff in my bins was not much if any better.

And being on a tight budget — bills coming through the letter slot every day and so on — combined with the need for a very fast solution I considered this combination to construct an interconnect from stuff I had on hand. The objective was first and foremost low capacitance:

* very fine wire
* no twisted wire
* no shielding:scratch2:
* Teflon insulation
* single strand conductors
* bare minimal termination ... CHEAP, low mass, partly plastic.
* fiberglass outer cover to provide some robustness to the fragility of the conductors
* 32 gauge - 0.2 mm conductors

This (attached) is the reptilian, primitive result that crawled from the ooze of my pile of wire and crud.

How does it sound? Great! The run is only 70 cm and each cable has a ground strap. After fiddling with ground/hum issues, there is almost no hum. What hum remains is of a very low order; I can hear it with no signal at a volume level that would have the police outside my door in 10 minutes if music was actually playing. Detail has hugely increased. One cartridge that was very heavy in base had its resonant frequency moved up. Another was improved in the upper treble in regards to detail. Overall, everything improved. Not surprising really. And RF crud over the 70 cm is very acceptable, although I've not got graphs and equipment to verify anything in measurements.

I have yet to calculate the total capacitive loading, but I thought that this was so much cheap fun that I'd pass it along now. It has taught me that fiddling with DIY cable on such TT's that have the much maligned RCA terminals has the single advantage of being available for tuning capacitive loading — perhaps the only excuse for having RCA females on the backs of any TT.

I have several other reptilian crudities in mind as well as the stuff on hand to build them, including the same design with multi-strand core, lacquered conductors.

Laugh and ridicule me if you want. I'm laughing myself — mostly cuz it did not cost me several hundred dollars — more like a bottle of on-sale red plonk.:D Sure ... someday I should rewire the entire arm and rid of the intermediate connections — that is unless the current versatility seems to outweigh the obvious electrical issues that dog connectors on tonearm wire

Attachments

• Primative TT-IC.jpg
    Primative TT-IC.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Very nice. I use a short homemade interconnect that just reaches the TT.
How did you construct it? — wire, insulation, shielding? Did you measure capacitance? Any points will interest me.

My crude meter gave me something like 52 pF for one side, which, all things considered, seems high. The stock wire did not come with my used table; it specs at very low capacitance (55pF/Metre) but maybe this refers only to the internal wire. (My Japanese reading is very bad.) One model came with internal silver wire — probably not mine.

Why very thin wire? I'm not sure what advantage you were trying to achieve by using thin wire. Having said that, thick wire offers no great advantage either.

Yes, low capacitance is a good idea, but I wouldn't sacrifice sheilding to shave a few picofarads off. You can get sheilded cable which should give you less than 50pF for a 0.75m length.

Personally, I think having RCA sockets on the back of a turntable is a good idea. It stops the weight and stiffness of the interconnecting cable from interfering with the suspension.

How did you construct it? — wire, insulation, shielding? Did you measure capacitance? Any points will interest me.

My crude meter gave me something like 52 pF for one side, which, all things considered, seems high. The stock wire did not come with my used table; it specs at very low capacitance (55pF/Metre) but maybe this refers only to the internal wire. (My Japanese reading is very bad.) One model came with internal silver wire — probably not mine.

I use Belden 1505f coax, as recommended by Blue Jeans Cable. It measures about 20pf per foot.

My LT-30 TT has a lot of capacitance in the internal cabling, so I minimized the length of the IC cable and completely removed the loading caps in the phono pre.

I was just so confused reading the opening post because IC commonly refers to integrated circuit and my brain was thrown in a loop, what on earth is going on in here until I realized it was referring to interconnects... :D

I was just so confused reading the opening post because IC commonly refers to integrated circuit and my brain was thrown in a loop, what on earth is going on in here until I realized it was referring to interconnects... :D

Exactly! IC has been commonly used as an abbreviation for Integrated Circuit for about 50 years, so using it as an abbreviation for something else is just confusing.:thumbsdn:

Why very thin wire? I'm not sure what advantage you were trying to achieve by using thin wire. Having said that, thick wire offers no great advantage either.

Yes, low capacitance is a good idea, but I wouldn't sacrifice sheilding to shave a few picofarads off. You can get sheilded cable which should give you less than 50pF for a 0.75m length.

Personally, I think having RCA sockets on the back of a turntable is a good idea. It stops the weight and stiffness of the interconnecting cable from interfering with the suspension.

Interesting ... thanks. Very thin wire was an experiment. Future versions will include thicker wire.

Would please suggest a source and manufacturer of suitable wire.

Micro Seiki TT's typical rely on isolation as opposed to "suspension". My DQ5's "feet" were rotted out when I got it and now has big Sorbothane pucks. The table sits on polished, ceramic brick. I am not confident that the RCA plugs on the DD8 add any advantage in that regard.

Sorry for the confusion. I got this from somewhere and it stuck — even though I know that IC stands for Integrated Circuit. .... Lorne

Back
Top Bottom