Help with Fisher/BSR 220-X

cbox83

Hello everyone...

I need to ask for some help. I have a Fisher (BSR) 220-X turntable which I think is a very close cousin of the BSR C141R.

First off, I need to find a service manual.

Second, the auto functions are not working. I can't seem to make the changer do anything that its supposed to do besides turn the platter. When I try to kick it into auto, it will pick up the needle, and drop it right back down and kick back to stop.

Third, it will not auto-return the needle at the end of the record without helping the stylus a little further inward. I have the return set screw as far in as it will go.

All of the mechanisms seem to be moving very freely, its a well oiled machine.

Discarding and getting better is not an option right now.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

sounds like the trip linkage is sticky or misadjusted. If you haven't pulled it apart to clean and re-lube it, I expect thats the issue. The trip pawl and the trip linkage must be absolutely clean or it won't start the cycle.

Not sure what this uses to determine record cycle vs shutdown cycle but its often something related to the over-arm position. If whatever is supposed to follow the arm upward when its not fully dropped isn't doing that, it will just loop in a shut-down cycle.

Vinylengine has a service manual for a C159. Not sure how similar the mechanisms are but I wouldn't be too surprised if a number of BSR models used the same basic set of guts. I just don't happen to know BSR gear very well.

Awesome thanks Gadget! I'm an idiot, this is my first time touching a BSR. I didn't realize that you HAVE to let it drop the record for it to run. This is the one I've been working on for my friends' console BTW.

Auto return was fixed by moving the tone arm wires around. They were very tightly bent, and it was keeping the tone arm from being able to put enough force on the mechanism to trigger a return.

This was advertised and serviced and ready locally. It was about a half-job and not done professionally - as they scratched the heck out of the decorative "Made in Brittain" platter washer taking the retainer out, rather than gently plucking it out of the mat. I cleaned out the cam and oiled it for good measure, but it seemed to be new grease already.

This table sounds alot better than I expected, esp after reading what alot of people have to say about them. I was expecting Fisher Price, not "still better than MP3's". I honestly wouldn't mind having one so I don't have to get up and change the record every 20-40ish minutes. Would make it easier to enjoy records while doing my homework.

Back
Top Bottom